RPG Gamemaker Reccomendations?

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

RPG Gamemaker Reccomendations?

#1 Post by Caveat Lector »

I did a quick google search for "rpg gamemaker engine" and I came across this site:

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

Of these programs, which ones have any of you had experience with? Which would you recommend the most? Are there any other engines you'd recommend for this type of game?
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Ezri

Re: RPG Gamemaker Reccomendations?

#2 Post by Ezri »

VX Ace is the latest version and the only one I've used. I got it with XP (and either 2000 or 2003? I don't really remember) in a Humble Bundle a while back, but I haven't tried to use the older versions yet. I've found Ace pretty easy to use and there are lots of tutorials and resources for it, so I'd recommend it if you're willing to pay for it (as it is expensive). It's fairly easy to make a basic game entirely with the provided assets, but you might need to dig up some user-made code scripts or script some yourself if you want to do something a little more complex.
Last edited by Ezri on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**I have commissions open for sprites and CGs!**

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

RPG Maker is well... for making RPG. It's strictly for making RPG and quite limited as well... though if you're good at programming, you can do variety kind of stuff... but still limiting. The newest RPG Maker version is VX Ace. IMO the reason why RPG Maker is not that popular is because of the limitation... and the expensive price.

Anyway, you may want to read this -> venturebeat.com/2014/08/20/the-top-10-e ... /view-all/
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Tyrantauranox
Regular

#4 Post by Tyrantauranox »

By most accounts, RPG Maker's good for building something along the lines of a classic JRPG. What do you want to make?

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Red eyes in the darkness

#5 Post by Ryue »

Isnt RPGMaker still limited to only 640x480?

@Caveat Lector there are a few engines out there. It would be best if you describe what exactly you want to do thus: Classic top down RPG with turn based combat, or action oriented,.... then in between things with CGs or films,.... and also what resolutions (as each of these things can change what would be appropriate enginewise)

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by xela »

Wolf wrote:Isnt RPGMaker still limited to only 640x480?

@Caveat Lector there are a few engines out there. It would be best if you describe what exactly you want to do thus: Classic top down RPG with turn based combat, or action oriented,.... then in between things with CGs or films,.... and also what resolutions (as each of these things can change what would be appropriate enginewise)
I think they have scripts/hacks to go around that fact nowadays. Also it all depends on your coding/graphical skillz. This is being made with RPG Maker (admittedly, it's not what RPG Maker was made for): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOlKh4PjLbg

Doesn't look like it is limiting them much...
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#7 Post by Alte »

There's a list of engines from rpgmaker.net.

I can't make recommendations because I haven't tried them, from what I heard "OHRRPGCE" is simple to use but it does have a strict limitations.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#8 Post by Duskylli »

I've only tried rpg vx maker. Even though I suck at coding its really easy and fun to use. Some people didn't like the chibi sprites and the blocky maps but you can change this with parallax mapping and just replace the sprites. Apparently the mapping system is superior in rpg XP but I guess the best thing to do is to download the 30 day free trials and see which one is best for you.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#9 Post by Sharm »

Hey, I'm a mod there! I know all about this. Not sure why you'd ask about it here instead of there though. The forums there are very active.

I've tried a number of RPG Making engines including multiple versions of RPG Maker. The mapping is much better in XP but for everything else Ace has been the easiest and most straightforward to use. LVUER is right, the Maker is pretty limited out of the box, but there are a large number of scripts that do some pretty awesome things. Just keep in mind that if you want to do something really different like 3D or something with lots of special key commands, this isn't the engine for you. It's made for making RPGs, it should be used that way.

If you're worried about price, Steam's doing another sale right now. It's not a bad time to pick it up. As for the resolution, it is no longer limited to 640x480. There's an official DLL release in the forums that makes it possible to up the resolution. Just came out this month.

Alte: I've tried OHRRPGCE, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Just from what I've seen with graphics the limitations are terrifyingly bad and pointless and trying to do anything with it is like hitting your head against a brick wall.
Last edited by Sharm on Fri May 01, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

vnplayer
Projects: in progress...

#10 Post by vnplayer »

RPG Maker (XP or VX) is enough. I saw full good VN made by RMXP and RMVX.

And no need code just events, if u know how handle it.

Unique problem in RMs is dont achieve to post in site to play online or apply in mobiles.

-----

Someone posted about http://joilly.com --> i checking now better...

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#11 Post by Vatina »

Sharm wrote:As for the resolution, it is no longer limited to 640x480. There's an official DLL release in the forums that makes it possible to up the resolution. Just came out this month.
Great, best RPGmaker news I've seen in a long time!

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#12 Post by SundownKid »

RPG Maker is probably the best and easiest way to make a 2D turn-based jRPG. For more complex ones like action RPGs you will probably want to use another engine. There is a way to make action RPGs in VX called XAS Hero Edition but it's a little arcane.

I actually made an adventure game in RPG Maker XP. You can check it out here. http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-caldwell-incident
VX Ace is basically just a better performing version of XP. The only issue with Ace is the weird mapping system and weird default resolution.

darkrchaos
Regular
Completed: A Few
Projects: Moe Wars: Crimson Samon
Deviantart: darkrchaos

#13 Post by darkrchaos »

Wish I could find one to make a easy shooter, even if it was RPG style.

tamacitas
Regular

#14 Post by tamacitas »

I'm surprised that no one pointed WOLF RPG Editor! :o
Well, it's Japanese, but you can download the English version here.

If you know games such as Paranoiac (Uri), The Boogie Man (Uri), Patty and Miles (I forget the name of the game), and Mad Father, this engine is used.
This engine in fact doesn't need any programming! Though, tweaking it seems to be really, really hard, since it's not using coding or scripts like most game engines. It's using something called Common.
And...! It's FREE! Though this engine hasn't been updated for more than 2 years. But it's good enough to make simple RPG.

Oh, and I don't recommend 001Engine. I was really confused on what I'm doing with that engine when I wanted to create my RPG.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#15 Post by Coren »

I like RPG Maker XP for the mapping, but I do agree that the later RPG Makers would probably have better functionality.

Here're two samples of VN/RPGs I've done through RPG Maker:
http://soyasushi.vnovel.com/works-in-pr ... -apoptosis
http://soyasushi.vnovel.com/completed-p ... ear-mariko