First time user needs a little help with graphics...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
kmsgameboy
Regular

First time user needs a little help with graphics...

#1 Post by kmsgameboy »

This may be a dumb question....but how do I make the blank area around my character “clear” so that when I put them in front of a background they wont have a white square around them? :oops:
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI
Please drop by my website! ^_^

Tage
Regular

#2 Post by Tage »

You can save them as a .PNG with transparency. It is an image file. You will need software that saves it with transparency. I can't think of any nice programs off the top of my head. Only http://www.irfanview.com/ which will allow you to paste your image into it and save the image with transparency as a png.

When setting an image up for transparency you will need to color the areas you want transparent with a color that is not found anywhere else in your image. Say, your image was black and white only...color all the areas you want to be transparent ANY OTHER color than black or white. Also, you will need to make sure that there is no outline that's not supposed to be there, the easiest way to figure this out is to use the fill tool.

If you find a program that allows alpha transparency, then you can save a .PNG file with differentiating levels of transparency inside the image. Like, a picture of sunglasses where the lens of the sunglasses darkens any image it is above. The program I linked you to only saves complete transparencies.

Sorry if this reply was a little confusing. I rushed it since I need to sleep. I've got two college finals in 6 hours, lol.

kmsgameboy
Regular

#3 Post by kmsgameboy »

Thanks for the help again Tage. Iv saved in the .PNG format befor, but I do not thing the program I use suports transparency at al...so I guess I will have to try the one you posted. Thanks again...and good luck with the finals! :wink:
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI

RedSlash
Veteran

#4 Post by RedSlash »

Photoshop, GIMP, PaintShopPro... all the major graphics editing programs will save PNGs with transparencies.

kmsgameboy
Regular

#5 Post by kmsgameboy »

thanks...i figured it out with my normal program....all i have to do is save the file as a .PNG while something is activly selected and BOOM, there i go.
-Shadow FFVI

Tage
Regular

#6 Post by Tage »

Cool, no problem. Thanks for wishing me luck. n.n I got my score back on my Japanese class today, my computer final was a breeze, and -.-; my english final was a-l-r-i-g-h-t. Lol