What motivates you to make a VN?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
melelisun
Regular
Projects: Zodiac•Axis, Lucid9
Tumblr: lunachaili

Re: What motivates you to make a VN?

#31 Post by melelisun »

I always like creating things, but I must admit, I often don't have the perseverance to continue to the very end ^^"

I think working in a team does wonders, especially if everyone is passionate and talented. It really brings up motivation and also makes me feel accountable. Otherwise, most of my projects done solo kind of just flop...
Image Image

Catalyst Edge Gaming
Regular
Completed: Deep Freeze Cafe
Projects: Junkyard
Tumblr: catalystedge

#32 Post by Catalyst Edge Gaming »

Being able to tell a story, being able to share a thought or an idea and affect people that you've never even met just by sharing a story. Plus being able to put art, music and a story you worked hard to put together and have someone other than yourself appreciate it is pretty cool too.... and perhaps making a little money on the side if that's what you're aiming for is also nice.
First Finished game! Deep Freeze Cafe.

You can buy it here

And of course there's something new in the works. More details will be released on tumblr as the project get's further along~
http://catalystedge.tumblr.com/

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#33 Post by Rossfellow »

The current story I am writing is based on a subject I find interesting enough to do research on. There's also a loose basis on one of my own childhood fears, and I'm hoping people can relate to my protagonist's little plight.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#34 Post by Katy133 »

What motivates you to make a VN?
When I come up with an idea or a character that turns into a story, feel a really, really strong need to put in on paper, finish writing it, and showing it to people. I want to tell a story to people.

How do you keep going until the end?
I think it's a combination of wanting to tell a story to myself, as well as to other people. I want to know in detail what happens in this story. And I want to know what people make of the story. I want the people who play my VNs to be effected in some way (feeling emotion, liking the characters, laughing at jokes, thinking deeper about something, and so on).
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

brystfire123
Github: brystfire08

#35 Post by brystfire123 »

My primary reason for the first Visual Novel that I made is for our school project. We were assigned to make a CAI (Computer Aided Instruction) software and we were told that we can use any applications as long as the software will be interactive and an effective teaching tool. I love watching anime, reading manga and playing video games thus I am motivated to make my project using a game engine. By using the ren'py SDK it is easier to develop one and in the end the project was successful. I am currently not working on a visual novel game but maybe, just maybe I encountered another reason or got a story to share I'll happily make a new one. :) :lol:

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#36 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

For two reasons:
1) To inspire others to invest in visual novels and the creation of their own.
2) For someone to write fanfiction.

I will not rest until one of those two things becomes a reality!

Honest Critique

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#37 Post by Hijiri »

Green Glasses Girl wrote:For two reasons:
1) To inspire others to invest in visual novels and the creation of their own.
2) For someone to write fanfiction.

I will not rest until one of those two things becomes a reality!
Those are my similar goals, granted Ii already did the first one, which gave me a lot of motivation. I do wan to do both tho

Though Id like to add one more:
3) Someone draws Rule 34 of my characters (Commissions/requests notwithstanding)
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Sonya
Veteran
Completed: Café Rouge, Skights, High School Otome
Deviantart: winechan

#38 Post by Sonya »

The biggest motivation is other passionate people, whether they be your friends, or other people working together in a team with a love for creating visual novels.

Self motivation is great, but when others join together with you in that same passion, it really gets you going.

If you don't like it/love it enough, you'd probably give up half way without even finishing your visual novel, and that sadly happens to a lot of people and creators :/

Sakai
Regular
Projects: Ragged Heart
Organization: Afterthought Studios

#39 Post by Sakai »

My reason is... Well.. Its rather simple yet weird. I want people that will play my VN's learn few things in life that they could take in as a lesson, to show them positivity. Me and my team plan on creating games that have a story that will have some sort of morale in the story that might move the player. I want people to learn that life is tough but when you have those people that you need in your life you can overcome anything!

Pretty much to say I want my games to somehow help and motivate them in life as for those who play. And of course it motivates me to finally create a career path that I always wanted to have.