Choose-Your-Own-Adventure

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Apius

Choose-Your-Own-Adventure

#1 Post by Apius »

Does anyone know of any good programs or sites that allow you to create simple choose-your-own adventure stories. For people who might not be familiar with the medium, it's entirely text-based with branching options that take the story in different directions.

I'm looking into Twine now, but I have a strong feeling that there are other ones that are easier to get out to audiences. I mean that Twine doesn't really have any sites online to post them. And I suspect that there are sites for posting literature that let you make these kinds of branching stories.

I'm still looking, I'll post some myself if I find any.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Choose-Your-Own-Adventure

#2 Post by papillon »

Doesn't twine have a big forum and site dedicated totally to people posting their works?

Apius

#3 Post by Apius »

Evidently there is. That sure makes me look stupid.

Here's the main stuff I've found thusfar.
I still don't know all of the different types of programs / sites for interactive stories, and the pros and cons of each. But I'll keep looking into it and try to post my results.
Last edited by Apius on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

Choice of Adventure is another language you could use...but you could also easily use Ren'py for a Choose Your Own Adventure game.

But it seems that more than a programming language, you want an easy place to advertise your works, is that correct?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#5 Post by Sharm »

If you want purely text based adventure games, the search engine words to use are "text adventure" and "interactive fiction". Quest, TADS and Adrift are the ones that come up most often. There are a lot of them because the programming when it's purely text is fairly basic.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Apius

#6 Post by Apius »

trooper6 wrote:Choice of Adventure is another language you could use...but you could also easily use Ren'py for a Choose Your Own Adventure game.

But it seems that more than a programming language, you want an easy place to advertise your works, is that correct?
No, I'm just trying to start at the absolute most basic type of interactive story to get experience writing and completing a project. First a choose-your-own-adventure style story, which seems like the simplest overall. Then maybe some other forms like a text-adventure style game (like the engines mentioned by Sharm). Then slowly work my way up to something more complex like a visual novel or game. I severely lack experience and want to slowly build it up instead of biting off more than I can chew.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#7 Post by Sharm »

If all you want to do is practice, using Renpy to make a text game would work just fine. That way you wouldn't be learning lots of different engines as you progress, instead you'd just be learning one. Renpy is easy enough to use that it would work just as well as the others, all you'd need to do is leave out any images and use one of the default interfaces.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

octacon100
Regular
Projects: Regeria Hope
Organization: Golden Game Barn
IRC Nick: Octacon100

#8 Post by octacon100 »

A good way to use renpy for what your looking for is to use it's NVL mode: http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/tutorials/NVL-Mode

Basically the text takes up most of the screen, and you can still use "menu:" to have players make choices. That way you wouldn't have to learn more than one language.

Hope that helps.
Current Digital Projects -
Regiera Hope Completed Game Forum Post

anon2045
Regular

#9 Post by anon2045 »

There's also inklewriter: http://www.inklestudios.com/inklewriter/. It's pretty simple to learn. But from what I understand, unlike Twine, which has a desktop application, inklewriter is purely online.

vnplayer
Projects: in progress...

#10 Post by vnplayer »

Just text based?

HTML is enough. Use links to each choice. Its not a Vn just an story-game as serie "Fighting Fantasy" of Ian Livingstone from 80's.