Visual Novel Tycoon [NaNoRenO 2014] [Sim]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: Visual Novel Tycoon [NaNoRenO 2014] [Sim]

#31 Post by chocojax »

kara24601 wrote:I know this was a NaNo piece but is NaNoRenO over already or what?
Mhm. NaNoRenO runs for the entirety of March each year!
Anyway, other than that and I don't get why the price of items is missing when I try to go shopping in the game from "tarzan shop" ....Why are the prices missing?
Maybe some people will disagree with me on it being funny or whatever but I certainly don't like the prices not being listed so I don't know how much something costs in the first place, trying to buy it , and then getting told by the game that I'm a moron for trying to buy it on top of all that.
The last time I played it, the prices were shown. Might be a recent bug; I'll let the programming team know. Thanks for pointing it out!
Writer has bookshelf full of books already but artist and coder don't? It's not like artists and coders don't read , especially coders.
I actually didn't notice that the writer had tons of books until a while back, haha. Yes, it's not that writers/coders don't read, but it does come with the idea of a writer that they would have a lot of books, right? I didn't come up with this idea myself, but this is what I think. '3'
Coder is the only has different art ...and who is this other guy in the main menu if there's only three people to choose for PC?
Is he going to be another PC or an important npc?
The other guy was supposed to be the musician/composer, although something happened with the writer for his route. So, he'll hopefully be added in the future, but for now, he'll just live on through the title-screen. :P

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#32 Post by leon »

@kara24601: Are you sure you haven't simply missed the prices? We didn't had time to properly design the web shop, so maybe it's not quite obvious these are the prices...
Attachments
screenshot_tarzan.jpg

ark99k
Regular

#33 Post by ark99k »

Is it just my game or does anyone else get "It seems that this isn't finished" on the artist's path? Did I miss something?

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest

#34 Post by leon »

No, it's actually not finished.

But we have a highly trained team of robotic monkeys trying to resolve the situation.

unknown5
Veteran
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.

#35 Post by unknown5 »

omg, i wish i had a cheat button in RL. can churn out multiple VNs and commissions in one day. QQ
information wants to be free, yo.

Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

#36 Post by Helianthus »

Am I the only one who’s still waiting for the updated version ;__ ; ?

I’ve played for a whole afternoon and the game is both addictive and frustrating. You can clearly see there were a lot of good ideas and some elements are promising. But since most of them aren’t finished, you can’t see what’s after. Like the artist’s path getting interrupted in the middle and then nothing happens anymore, you’re just left by youself. Or when you actually finish a game, you never see what it looks like and nothing changes (you don’t get to make a topic, receive comments and such). I’ve seen a random cover generator in the screenshots above but I never encountered it in-game.
Is that because I didn’t make a commercial game :oops: ?

Some random thoughts :
  • Since you only have to click once to go to work or to bed, sometimes I click on the button without meaning to, I wish I could confirm… :(
  • I find strange that practice and commissions are considered two different things. Sure, you can draw/write/code for fun, but if you’re doing it for someone, you’re practicing at the same time. Shouldn’t there be a system where you can only take commissions after you got to a certain level (through practice) ? I know it’s kinda there already, but it should be more obvious
  • Some elements aren’t told : like reputation, I wish you had a message after some time to say « Hey, you didn’t complete the work », otherwise you can’t really understand why the offers aren’t so good all of a sudden. Also, I kept clicking on the wrong button: I think I’m saying yes to make music and I’m asked to give code. Might be a bit messy.
  • I didn’t understand if I had to go to work of not. Because you don’t really need money (I wonder how the character survives 8) ) and there isn’t consequence if you don’t go.
  • Why is the GUI different only in the coder’s route?
  • A problem I see is that you have to give points to the character before knowing its story. Which could backfire. And you don’t have much direction about what to do either. Like, I went for the writer and started to make commissions, thinking it would help my character being more known and then able to recruit artists. But since her story revolves around the fact that she wants to make a VN…I was doing the opposite.
  • I wish you could choose to be a noobie or a sempai : like if you’re starting from the bottom, you can learn faster in any domain you want and make a lot of things by yourself, just not being that good, while starting with a good level in a domain prevents you from learning (you’re only allowed to learn one more domain and not too much) but you’re very good at what you do.
Well, otherwise, I liked the differents stories, the animated chibis and all of the references. It was really addictive. If only there was a « complete » version...
Is there any plan to finish this game? :cry:

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#37 Post by leon »

Thank you! These are some great ideas!
To see the covers go to BMTMezzo (it's where you see your downloads or sales) and click on View Cover.
Helianthus wrote:I didn’t understand if I had to go to work of not.
Like in RL, it's not necessary... But it's a great way to make money (your skills reflect how much you get).
Helianthus wrote:Why is the GUI different only in the coder’s route?
Because he is a major geek and doesn't use the same OS as everyone else.
Helianthus wrote:Is there any plan to finish this game? :cry:
Sure, if someone will bug all the devs enough. :P

Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

#38 Post by Helianthus »

Thanks for taking the time to give me those extra informations, I appreciate :) !
leon wrote:Why is the GUI different only in the coder’s route? > Because he is a major geek and doesn't use the same OS as everyone else.
That’s actually clever, now I wish I got that right the first time :oops:
leon wrote:Is there any plan to finish this game? :cry: > Sure, if someone will bug all the devs enough. :P
Does that mean I have to raise an army of fans :lol: ? And here I thought stalking wasn’t a good option…

Bryy
Veteran
Completed: 30+ games so far
Projects: Furry Shakespeare
Organization: Stegalosaurus Game Development

#39 Post by Bryy »

Really like the game. Really good.

Main complaint is the level menus. Unlabeled and very, very small. Also, money needs to be in the main UI, not hidden away.