Zombie Princess [GxB, GxG] [Fantasy, Supernatural]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
thefontbandit

Zombie Princess [GxB, GxG] [Fantasy, Supernatural]

#1 Post by thefontbandit »

Prologue:

There are some people who will tell you the life of a princess is an easy one. A life of luxury, without hunger or many of the daily worries that plague most men. And perhaps they are right.

However, while a princess may live an easy life, the days of a
queen are anything but simple. And as the future Queen of Aurelin, my hours are filled with the lessons and training I will need to rule.

At age nineteen, I underwent the secret rite that transformed me into an Aureline Monarch. Our royal family closely guards this secret, the key to immortality. Only Queens and Kings are allowed to undertake the ritual.

Immortality doesn't come without a cost, of course, but we keep that a secret, too.

Brief Description:

In the Kingdom of Aurelin, you take on the role of the queen-to-be. As an immortal undead Monarch, you cannot take the throne until you find someone to share the rule. The Queen has insisted that you make a concerted effort at courtship. Luckily, the next two weeks are the yearly courting festival of Springeve, which provides a convenient opportunity for mingling and flirting.

Can you find your King or Queen, while navigating the daily challenges of helping to rule a kingdom? You must navigate courtly gossip, trade arrangements, and help defuse a civil war in the bordering country ruled by vampire necromancers... and flirt with eligible bachelors and bachelorettes.

Additional Notes:

After doing some lurking, I've decided to post a thread with progress on my first otome game project. After trying to come up with a more clever title, I just decided to keep the self-explanatory working title "Zombie Princess".

The game has a sweet, serious tone overall. There will be complex epic-fantasy elements, such as a rich fantasy world with a unique spin on traditional monsters like zombies, ghouls, and vampires. The gameplay will include following a romance path and navigating political challenges.
  • Free PC Game, possible low-priced Android release
  • Seven love interests, 4 male and 3 female
  • Organic plot structure (you will not choose a love interest at the beginning, rather it will grow from your choices)
  • 12+ endings
  • Sprites for NPCs as well as the love interest characters
"Long Shot" Goals:
These are things I hope to include if I can figure out the programming part of it:
  • Optional "Prince" route with a male protagonist
  • In-game Codex/Encyclopedia that allows the player to learn more history and lore
  • Protagonist facial expressions in inset next to dialogue box

Love Interests:

Not pictured yet (still working on art):

Ash: Cheerful but possessing a sarcastic wit, Ash is the assistant cook in the palace kitchens. His irreverent nature causes him to treat you with refreshing honesty, lacking the deference you are used to.

Grayson: A gargoyle soldier assigned to guard you while representatives from a rival kingdom are at the palace, as a precaution against foul play. He is well-meaning and honest almost to a fault, devoted to his duty and seeing the world only in black and white.

Loreley: An emissary from the neighboring kingdom of Thalas, a vampire necromancer. Her kingdom and yours have not always gotten along in the past, but are in a current state of tenuous peace. She has come to Palace Aurelin to ask for assistance in putting down a rebellion in her kingdom, one that could threaten the peace between your kingdoms.

Additional Artwork and Characters:

Thread Goals:

Right now, I'm mostly posting this to keep myself accountable and continue working on the project, as well as receiving general feedback.

For now, does the premise sound interesting to you?

Also, is the artwork acceptable? There are so many amazingly talented artists creating games, and I know my art isn't phenomenal, but is it good enough that you'd still be interested in playing?

UPDATES:

I intend to update this thread with weekly progress (likely on Fridays or weekends), possibly more often if I have something to post. I'll note any updates below.

For more frequent WIP updates and random rambling about the creation process, I'm posting those on my Tumblr blog with this tag: http://fontscosplay.tumblr.com/search/zombie-princess

09-22-14: Completed artwork for Darrow and replaced his screencap above. Added WIP sketch of Tristan under "Additional Artwork and Characters".
09-24-14: Added completed screencap for Tristan.
Last edited by thefontbandit on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Ammeh
Regular

Re: Zombie Princess [GxB, GxG] [Fantasy, Supernatural]

#2 Post by Ammeh »

Premise = YES. I adore politics-heavy fantasy with romance on the side. The idea of focusing (exclusively?) on various undead fantasy races in roles they're not normally seen in is also intriguing.

Artwork = also yes. I really love the PC's sprite...it has a sort of vintage look? She looks poised and sweet and ready to kick some major political hiney.

(I also adore your logo. Did you do it yourself?)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Oh, neat! I'm happy to see a zombie that isn't trapped in the role of mindless monster, and I'm always up for stories of political intrigue.

Your art looks fine to me. (I don't know how much my opinion is worth since I'm poor at drawing, but there it is.)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

thefontbandit

#4 Post by thefontbandit »

Thank you both for the feedback! The characters won't exclusively be supernatural races... all of the LIs are actually normal humans (at least at the beginning). But the various undead types will be involved in the main plot.

And yes, I made the logo, too! It took some toying around to come up with something I liked, so I'm glad you like it!

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#5 Post by sasquatchii »

This looks like it's going to be so much fun! I love stories that deal with zombies/undead so I'm pretty excited to see how this progresses :D

And the art is very nice! The one question I have (and I appologize if you've already answered this) is why is the Zombie princess grayish whereas all the other characters arent? Is she the only zombie? Are there any romanceable zombies? You said there were ghouls & vampires too? What category do the romanceable characters fall under?
ImageImage

Ammeh
Regular

#6 Post by Ammeh »

thefontbandit wrote:Thank you both for the feedback! The characters won't exclusively be supernatural races... all of the LIs are actually normal humans (at least at the beginning). But the various undead types will be involved in the main plot.

And yes, I made the logo, too! It took some toying around to come up with something I liked, so I'm glad you like it!
Ah, sorry, by "exclusively" I meant with regards to whether there'd be not-undead non-human races, not whether every character would be undead.

With regards to the update--I'm really digging how...wicked? Darrow's sprite looks. XD

thefontbandit

#7 Post by thefontbandit »

I guess I should explain things a little better in the description! :P This game is actually set in the same world as a novel project of mine, but in a different time period. I'll try to clarify some of the background on the fantasy races:

Basically, the premise of the world is that only the royalty of the main kingdom (Aurelin) are zombies. The method to turn someone into a zombie is a secret that's only passed down through the royal family. (In the game, they're called "Monarchs", because of their royal status). Only the zombies/Monarchs have gray skin. They're kind of a unique undead race that's actually a bit like ghouls and a bit like zombies, but "Zombie Princess" sounds catchier. Plus I don't want any confusion with the manga/anime series Tokyo Ghoul, since that's starting to gain popularity right now.

Basically, the idea is that whomever you choose to marry will undergo the ritual to become a Monarch at the end of the game and rule beside you.

The vampires are the ruling class of a neighboring kingdom (Thalas). Thalas has kind of a contentious past relationship with Aurelin, but the kingdoms are currently in a state of tenuous peace. Some of the vampires are also necromancers. I'm debating whether to add a love interest that belongs to the vampire race, since right now all six planned love interests are plain old humans.

There are also gargoyles in this world, which are mostly humanoid but also have animal-like traits. They come from the desert kingdom to the other side of Aurelin, Calumbra. Right now, I don't have a plan to add a gargoyle as a love interest, but there are gargoyle NPCs.

For reference, here's an initial rough map:

I hope that clears up some things! :)

EDIT: I had a flash of insight today after posting this last night, and I think I will be incorporating both vampire and gargoyle LI's. I was having issues pinning Grayson down, but I figured out a way to adjust the character that seems to fit better with the story and makes the character more interesting. And I'll be making one of the vampire NPCs a love interest instead.

melelisun
Regular
Projects: Zodiac•Axis, Lucid9
Tumblr: lunachaili

#8 Post by melelisun »

Wow! This looks really interesting! What are your plans for integrating the zombie identity into the game? Like, how will being a zombie monarch be different from being a normal monarch?
Image Image

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#9 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

melelisun wrote:What are your plans for integrating the zombie identity into the game? Like, how will being a zombie monarch be different from being a normal monarch?
I was wondering this too. The game looks awesome! I love courtly intrigue mixed with romance and your art suits it so well. But why is she a zombie? Don't get me wrong, I like that she's a zombie. In a world with magic it only makes sense that those in power would do things to extend their lifespans and make them more powerful but for the purposes of the game we already know she's in a position of power. Does the fact that she is also a zombie have a direct impact on the game?

Gabylc
Regular
Projects: Crossfire
Organization: Agape Studios
Tumblr: attackonbara

#10 Post by Gabylc »

The world you built seems interesting, I'm curious how you'll interpret zombies, vampire and I'm glad you'll use less classical monsters like gargoyles :)
The gender balance between love interests is somethind I'd like to see in more VN, if we can also get court intrigues and actual plot, it will be everything I love. And your art is nice, don't worry about it.
I will play it for sure! :D
Image Check our Attack on Titan fangame. Demo available here!

thefontbandit

#11 Post by thefontbandit »

I just wanted to make a quick post to say I haven't dropped off the face of the planet! My job has really picked up in the past couple of weeks and I've been putting in massive amounts of overtime, leaving me very little time to work on this game project, aside from refining some of my plot outlines.

I do intend to continue updating when the current wave of projects at work settles down, likely by the end of next week. With my next update, I'll post a little more background explanation to answer your latest questions, too. :)