Free GxB Mystery/School Otome!

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Dawnfire
Regular

Free GxB Mystery/School Otome!

#1 Post by Dawnfire »

LOST AND FOUND
Maya loves mysteries, and she founded the Mystery Club to do some sleuthing. But unfortunately, the only mysteries in Korslech Prep are the contents of the Lost and Found bin. The Club is in charge of finding the owners and returning their stuff to them. Still, lately a puzzling object ended up there. With daring, smarts, luck, and a little Maya Intuition, she’ll solve some interesting cases...and maybe figure out the one puzzle that she’s never been able to understand: falling in love.

I have a finished script for my game a little over 20,000 words with the routes planned out. I really want to recruit team members, or better yet, have my script picked up by an existing team! But as a broke college student, I really can't pay a professional, and any payment for the art would be less-than-minimal. I'm hoping that I can recruit artists who would like to work for free and would be able to produce at least one piece of concept art or a portion of finished art each week.

So the premise of the game is that my heroine, Maya, is going to be solving a mystery that is directly connected to the lead, "golden boy" soccer star Dean, who seems to be a stereotypical character...and then ends up having some hidden interests that change it up! I'm not going to spoil these for people who don't want to work on the game but might enjoy playing it in the future, but nerdiness pervades throughout the characters' lives. Another thing that makes my game stand out is that my heroine isn't necessarily a romantic. She doesn't mind dating if it finds her, but she's very practical and level-headed, and despite being pretty optimistic, has a sarcastic and sassy inner monologue and knows how to tell somebody off. So no ditzy, clumsy girl who needs help, no overly cheery Cinderella, and no damsel in distress scenarios! She's not even pining for a boyfriend. I've also tried to include some ethnic diversity into the game, including an Indian heroine.

I really believe that I have a writing style that has a wide vocabulary, nearly impeccable grammar, and definitely some interesting plot. I really encourage interested people to give me their email so I can share the script so far with them and prove that it's a game worth making. (I would love feedback from proofreaders as well!) I'm hoping that some kind, talented souls will see this thread!

Update: I have the talented Maltagliati on my team for sprites/CGs, but thank you to everyone who offered! I also have backgrounds from fleet, which is very kind. I'm still open to hand-drawn backgrounds if anybody wants to make them, though. I also have music thanks to Joshua1207's skills!

What I need:
  • Background art. I have some basics, but hand-drawn would be lovely.
    Programming help, eventually. I will need a lot of programming help.
Thanks for checking out my idea! Feel free to PM me.
Last edited by Dawnfire on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Writer/editor with native English skills and a bachelor's. Back after a longtime hiatus. Message if interested.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Artists Needed for Free Mystery/School Otome (GxB)!

#2 Post by fleet »

Describe the backgrounds you need. I might be able to make some 3D renders for you. You can see sample of my work in this topic.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 38&t=26471
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

ColaCat
Veteran

#3 Post by ColaCat »

This sounds great! I'd love to help proofread/ideabounce for you.

Dawnfire
Regular

#4 Post by Dawnfire »

Awesome! ColaCat, PM me with your email and I'll share the script with you.

fleet, your style is fine! Since I'm a beginner, I don't need hand-drawn stuff. It just needs to show the area without distracting from the sprites. I need the following backgrounds (D = day, N = night):
hallway (D)
classroom (D/N)
school courtyard (D/N)
downtown street (D)
bedroom (D)
soccer field (D)
library (D)
computer section of library (D)
basketball court (D)
outdoor fountain and bench (D)
convention - I'll explain this one (D)
restaurant (N)
Writer/editor with native English skills and a bachelor's. Back after a longtime hiatus. Message if interested.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by fleet »

Please explain what you mean by 'convention'.
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

Re: Free GxB Mystery/School Otome!

#6 Post by Ferdokki »

I just stumbled upon this, but holy crap this looks like an awesome idea! =D

Ina

#7 Post by Ina »

N/A
Last edited by Ina on Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ColaCat
Veteran

#8 Post by ColaCat »

Yes, the script was brilliant. If you need me to do anymore proofreading in the future I'd be more than happy to!

Dawnfire
Regular

#9 Post by Dawnfire »

Thank you all so much! Unfortunately, it seems as if progress will be very slow. Our artist is great but a very busy person and we barely have any drawings done. I'm not sure that this will ever be done unless a dedicated artist with a lot of free time and no money required wants to pick it up...which, obviously, is a rare thing...

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by fleet »

I hope you don't abandon the project.

Ferdokki
Veteran

#11 Post by Ferdokki »

Eeek! I hope things progress steadily (even if slowly).
It's better to have slow progress than to have none at all. =S

We'll be cheering for you guys! \(^o^)/

riisu

#12 Post by riisu »

I'd love to help you, though I don't know if my art is good enough...

Dawnfire
Regular

#13 Post by Dawnfire »

Well, we have an artist, but if you're interested in making background art or text art (like the title and stuff) let me know!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by gekiganwing »

If you're having trouble finding reliable people who can create art, consider one of the following options:

* Ask for help in places other than Lemma Soft. If you're active on Tumblr or Deviant Art, those might be good places to start.
* Use free or inexpensive art assets as temporary placeholders.
* Just writing the story, and don't worry about images yet. Once you finish your first draft, then ask for assistance.
Dawnfire wrote:Another thing that makes my game stand out is that my heroine isn't necessarily a romantic. She doesn't mind dating if it finds her, but she's very practical and level-headed, and despite being pretty optimistic, has a sarcastic and sassy inner monologue and knows how to tell somebody off. So no ditzy, clumsy girl who needs help, no overly cheery Cinderella, and no damsel in distress scenarios! She's not even pining for a boyfriend.
I'm interested in seeing how you'll write this character. Let her be a normal person with both strengths and flaws. Don't feel compelled to make her a nigh-invincible badass who has no difficulty overcoming obstacles. (In my opinion, this is the negative side of what TVTropes calls "Xenafication.")

Ferdokki
Veteran

#15 Post by Ferdokki »

If you need help with coloring, well, that's like the only skill I can offer. =/