BiMonthly Drawing -- source of drawing motivation!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Railgun
Regular
Completed: Within, Saving Zoey
Projects: Frontiers of Barassy (Unity3D), DR001 (Ren'Py)
Tumblr: railgun-gameblog

Re: Weekly drawing -- source of drawing motivation!

#151 Post by Railgun »

@Anne, haha we should have done a three-people collab then!

@sasquatchii, nice submission :) I like your use of "out of frame" action, which is something I often keep in mind. check your pm!
But basically, I started getting serious after entering art school two years ago and although I'm not that good yet, I started becoming faster and more confident.

@chocojax, nice colors. In particular the warm/cool contrast! And check your art thread =p

@Duskylli, actually bold pencils like 4B or more do that too! And charcoal and graphite sticks are nice to use (love the sound of it on grainy paper), but you gotta work on bigger paper formats since they have a wider tip and it would be hard to work on details on a small format. With that you'd also need a kneaded eraser! What's nice with kneaded erasers is if you are bored, you can also use it as modelling clay...I used to make pigs with it XD

@unknown5, great quote. I should read Edgar Allan Poe someday :D
And I love the new theme!

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#152 Post by sendo »

So many awesome entries! I really wanted to join the previous week but things happened (my idea was zombie-related as well, something about a 20ml vaccine/cure or something, heh but too bad I wasn't able to do it ._.) I'll just follow sasquatchii and comment on the previous entries.

@Anne - I really like your entry. I like the message (no pun intended) of your drawing and I love the girl's expression, good job! : )

@Duskylli - Nice sketch, but aww why is she crying... Would love to see a fuller picture next time! ^^

@unknown5 - I love your take on the prompt. But I probably won't buy those pills! :3

@Railgun & Kohaku - Wow it's really nice to see collab here. Awesome work both of you! Thanks for sharing the process shot, loving how it evolved from the first sketch. I'm just curious how you guys did it? Like who was responsible for line art, values, painting etc? I hope you do more collabs in the future! (And it's nice to see Sycra watchers here, I usually play his supastreams(or Feng Zhu's videos) in the background and just draw. Those kinda videos really gets me in the mood of drawing. I'll definitely check out Level Up sessions, thanks for sharing!)

@sasquatchii - Ah I just love the simplicity and the muted palette. Very pleasing to the eyes!

@chocojax - Lovely scene, I like the warm warm colors. :3

@0000-0000 - Hey welcome aboard! : )

And it's apparently Inktober so I took this chance to do something traditional just for the heck of it. Get an eye bleach, quick!!! I did a couple of sketches but this flame mage girl was the "best-looking" one so it's my entry for this week heh just ignore the girl in the corner. This was done fairly quick because my traditional skills are so so rusty (I haven't done traditional in a year or so now haha). I keep asking where my Undo, Flip Canvas and X features are, so I just sketched, inked and call it done ahaha. I think I'll stick with digital for now..
Attachments
trad.jpg
Finished VNs:
Image Image

Kohaku
Regular

#153 Post by Kohaku »

Ah! I really should reply sooner, but it's nice to see so many varied takes on the idea, here is my thoughts on what I see in some of the images.

@Anne: a very sweet image, i'm thinking a letter from her father who is away, but writes to her one letter every week.

@Duskylli: makes we wonder what or who is on the otherside, maybe love? or happy to hear that a certain someone is getting better.

@ unknown5: eek! i think i'll take the blue pill.

@sasquatchii: hehe, makes me think she is helping out, sees a mouse so climbs up ladder only to realise she really is afraid of heights.

@chocojax: planting the seeds of hope, and your grasp on the usage of colour is captivating.

@ 0000-0000: hello and welcome :)

@crestforge: loving the look of determination on the flame mages face as she is trying to perfect her spell casting, for a test maybe, also I can't ignore the girl on the corner as she looks like she is about to unleash a ton of whoop ass, or she's being lifted and hugged by a very strong person and being thrown back.

Ok, here is my take on fire, had two ideas in mind but my other one was too similar to my creature design a couple of weeks ago.
Attachments
under fire.jpg

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#154 Post by sasquatchii »

@chocojax: I love how you've created a really nice sense of light/dawn (or sunrise?) in your image! It makes for a really nice atmosphere :D
@duskyli: Thanks for sharing!! I might have to switch over to faber castell pencils (I have heard only good things about them). I generally get frustrated when drawing with regular crappy old pencils I stole from the office because I feel like I can never push the darks enough! But with your drawings it seems like you definitely can
@crestforge: Eye bleach?? Pffftt, hardly! Even though it's not finished doesn't mean it's not awesome! She looks adorable, although I wouldn't want to mess with her! I almost did something similar, but didn't want to overdose on drawing people with all the character sprites I'm working on for my VNs
@kohaku: I love the sense of movement! Although I am not envious of the person in that aircraft/flying machine thingy.

For mine, I wanted to create an animal made out of fire. I realize now that there are better techniques I could have employed to make him look more fire-ey, but this actually was my first attempt at trying to color fire, and after many frustrated attempts I just threw my hands up and went with it.
Attachments
firemokey1.jpg
ImageImage

unknown5
Veteran
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.

#155 Post by unknown5 »

ifreet, fire demon thingy, i guess

information wants to be free, yo.

0000-0000

#156 Post by 0000-0000 »

Last edited by 0000-0000 on Wed May 20, 2015 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Railgun
Regular
Completed: Within, Saving Zoey
Projects: Frontiers of Barassy (Unity3D), DR001 (Ren'Py)
Tumblr: railgun-gameblog

#157 Post by Railgun »

@crestforge, I like the rythm from your drawing!
And yeah I want to do more collabs in the future ^^
I asked Kohaku first because I found his imagination interesting and I knew I'd definitely do something I wouldn't usually do! Actually, there wasn't really any specific rules and Kohaku did most of the work XD
He first made 11 thumbnail concepts and then I picked one and changed the composition, explaining my choice for storytelling. The next days, I was busy with a deadline so I worked partially on the left guy while Kohaku added textures and rendered most of the image. Then he also did all the colours and finally, I refined a bit details and added a green rim light so that the zombies would pop out even more. That way, the viewer's eyes are first drawn to the zombies before landing on the left guy and then specifically on the bullets.
Every day, we'd exchange a psd file through PM after we'd worked sufficiently on the image (thankfully Kohaku didn't wait for me!).

@Kohaku, cool design! You could have made the machine even bigger to accentuate the perspective :)

@sasquatchii, I had a similar idea but with dragons :lol:
Here's the tutorial from Daarken I used to make fire ;)

@unknown5, interesting design. I would've liked to see more of her body!

@0000-0000, welcome and nice take the Red and White human :D

I'm swamped this week, so here's an Hawaiian guy instead of a dragon x)
Attachments
HawaiianFireDancer.jpg

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#158 Post by Anne »

@all Thank you @Kohaku yes, I was also thinking her father

Fire sure looks different (unlike hope :lol:).
@sasquatchii I imagine him sitting by the pile of logs eating them one by one,,,

So, going with the idea of less literal... and I even lined and colored it for some reason...

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#159 Post by Katta »

It's so cool how everyone's ideas are so different this week, that's the best part of this theme (I also wanted to draw zombies last week, but never did anything).
But this week I finally finished something, yay :o (yes, her hands melted :roll:)
81asm.png
How about Breaking Laws for this week theme?

unknown5
Veteran
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.

#160 Post by unknown5 »

it's a bit of a rushed mess. anatomy is all wonky, arms kept changing size, i can't draw pants, etc. meh.
i like the wrapping around the stomach, tho. lol.

edit: i'm pretty sure i broke some laws of anatomy. or physics. *facepalm*

information wants to be free, yo.

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#161 Post by Duskylli »

@unknown5- His badass vibe distracts from the mistakes ;)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a new topic?

I spontaneously thought I could paint a semi realistic nose over and anime nose and stuffed up the lighting OTL Might fix it later when I learn how to paint noses. Noses are weird. I drew Sacro's OC Cedric from True Friends.
Attachments
bth.png

Kohaku
Regular

#162 Post by Kohaku »

hehe, the love for zombies is strong here.
Every day, we'd exchange a psd file through PM after we'd worked sufficiently on the image (thankfully Kohaku didn't wait for me!).
yeah i did get a tad carried away with this :)

@sasquatchii: looks really misunderstood, really just a soft and cuddly firemonkey, albeit you may get a little singed :)

@oooo-oooo: festival time :)

@Railgun: The fire is awesome and that is one truly muscled fire eater.

@Anne: gentle embrace :wink:

@Katta: lol, she's literally too hot to handle, lovely flow and line a judge might say.

@unknown5: yep, both characters are definately people you wouldn't want to mess with and exude danger.

@Dusklli: hehe i feel your pain, i've got eyes done to an ok level, however noses and mouths are yet to be conquered even when i am doing a study.... back to proko i think :)

Lol, out of all the themes this one caused me the most trouble, but in a good way as at first i wanted to do something with Isaac Asimov and the three laws of robotics, also breaking the laws of physics, basically i was overloaded with too many ideas and got a little lost, so i went and did a face study to clear my head, added the hood then it just snowballed from there :) certain things aren't finished and may remain that way, but you can see where i was going with it.

As for a new theme I have nothing because my bed is calling to me with its warm covers and comfy pillow :)

Before I go here is my submission.
Attachments
judgement.jpg

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#163 Post by Katta »

@unknown5 The wrapping is good, but I somehow keep thinking he'd look better without it :roll:
@Dusklli Idk why but I thought exactly about graffiti when offering the theme)
@Kohaku But isn't it cool to have lots of ideas? Though for me it just ends with me doing nothing(

I wanted to draw a stealing cat for this week, we thought out a whole cool comic with my sister, but I've finished only 1/4 of 1 page :cry:
(the place on the pic is Bergen, Norway http://grownuptravelguide.com/wp-conten ... C_8709.jpg)
Attachments
torsk_sm3.png

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#164 Post by Anne »

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#165 Post by sasquatchii »

@Duskylli: You made breaking the law adorable!! He looks like he's having fun, and honestly, his nose doesn't bother me one bit! :)
@kohaku: Wow! Love the eyes. I want to know what's happening with this lady?!
@katta: Dawwww kitty! Is he gonna be able to eat that all by himself? I really like the texture & painting technique you are using.
@anne: zomg I didn't get a chance to respond to this week's or last week's art that you did but I seriously love your stuff. It's SO AWESOME!! Are you currently working on any VN's? Cause I would love to have more like Fae :D

As for my submission, I collaborated with Railgun this week! I took our picture down though since Railgun is going to make changes to it, and hopefully post it here later!
Last edited by sasquatchii on Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage