Witching Hour [Political Intrigue|Action|Fantasy] 10/18

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: The Witching Hour [Political Intrigue|Action|Fantasy] 9/

#31 Post by chocojax »

Updates!

Writing
Well, uh, after consulting and brainstorming with Butler (my very awesome musician and idea man), I may cut Kowen out from the main cast, hahahaha. He's a little bit difficult to pinpoint at the moment, and he feels pretty weak as a character himself. So, I might make it so that Silver Tongue becomes a secondary main character on Claire's side of the story, yay.

Which means, I'm trashing my current draft again (hghahaha), but at least I'm getting better over time, right? I've been experimenting with different methods of writing as well, so it's a pretty exciting experience. :P

Art
As always, I have more stuff to show for art than writing. You can click on the images to view in the intended resolution. Which is 1920x1080. Because I would like my VN to fit my monitors, hahaha.

That's not smoke, by the way. It's supposed to be random objects in the background, hahaha. Composition's pretty off, so I'll fix that later!

Image Image Image

Have some current WIPs of some sprites! I've tried to restrain myself from drawing anything "final" for the past few months due to writing issues, but ehhh, might as well take a short break by drawing. :P

melelisun
Regular
Projects: Zodiac•Axis, Lucid9
Tumblr: lunachaili

Re: The Witching Hour [Political Intrigue|Action|Fantasy] 10

#32 Post by melelisun »

First of all, marvelous art. Love it. Gorgeous. Double thumbs up.

Also, very interesting that this is a political intrigue! Props for being original :D I'm excited to see where this goes!
Image Image

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#33 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

The art is gorgeous! I look forward to this game. :D Loving the character designs too.

Honest Critique

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#34 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Very nice looking art. Hope the writing's going well.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by chocojax »

@melelisun, Green Glasses Girl, Lesleigh63: Thanks, yo! I'll keep tryin' hard with this. :'D

(And yeah, writing's going fine! Gahahhaha.)

Railgun
Regular
Completed: Within, Saving Zoey
Projects: Frontiers of Barassy (Unity3D), DR001 (Ren'Py)
Tumblr: railgun-gameblog

#36 Post by Railgun »

Chocojax! I want to play your game, where is the demo already? :P
Everything looks interesting. Especially Claire, she's... bewitching! (pun intended)
Ah I want to draw her now.

Can you tell us more about about the characters and the world they live in, please? (especially Claire :mrgreen: )

Suika
Regular

#37 Post by Suika »

As always, your art is beautiful. I'm anxiously waiting for the demo ^^ no pressure intended (:
Railgun wrote:Can you tell us more about about the characters and the world they live in, please? (especially Claire :mrgreen: )
^I'd like to hear more about this too c:

daijinahito
Regular
Projects: Siren's Plea & A+ Switch!

#38 Post by daijinahito »

The coloring style for the artwork is simply gorgeous and I just love the setting and costumes. I really look forward to what will become of this project, so please hold strong! : )

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#39 Post by chocojax »

@Railgun, Suika: Man, thanks you guys!

I actually wrote this up a little bit after you made that comment, but entirely forgot to post it, gahahaha.

---

I'm estimating about end of November to mid-December for the demo. (Hopefully!)

The biggest concern is the script, but I have about 1/3rd of the intended scenes finished. So... hopefully in two weeks or so, I'll have enough to dig into editing and asking my friends to edit it as well. The art assets don't matter THAT much, especially since I'm about 50% done with what's important. Extra poses and backgrounds will be sent to the back burner and as sketches. Also, I basically have a good amount of (hype) music to choose from, but I'm planning on seeking out another musician once I get closer to finishing the demo. :)

That's about it, so... yeah! I'll try hard! :P

I've written about the overall landscape of the two kingdoms stated in the OP, as well as a smaller one that's located somewhat between the two on my dev website. [link]
The previous king of Helitan, Christoph's father, was a very strong and intelligent man. The government basically includes a group of advisors who mainly do the ruling, although the previous king was so charismatic, he was included in their decisions--and eventually, became the main speaker in deciding what to rule.

He eventually announced war against the Manituk, over a small piece of land that's pretty much sandwiched between the two. Which, of course, they won quite easily due to Manituk's lack of military strength, as well as underestimating Helitan's power. A little after their victory, the king died.

...Thus, leading to Christoph's coronation. He's a fairly knowledgeable child, but very naive in terms of gain vs. loss. Basically... he has these huge ideals, which are in the right place, but are basically fantasies. Due to this, he's often mocked and disrespected behind his back by the group of advisors. Outside of that, many people find him kind-hearted and gentle. I think he's a nice kid.

One of the advisors is Icario. He's very crude and blunt, and doesn't quite care about his social appearance. He was uplifted into the group around a decade before Helitan's aforementioned victory. Nothing's really known about him before then. There's rumors that he's quite the magician, although he locks himself up in his study all the time, so no one really knows, you know?

Okay! Onto the other side.

I don't really want to say much about what he does, but I'll talk about him for a bit. Silver Tongue is quite the crafty and charismatic man. He's had such a "normal, carefree life" that he slowly became disappointed at the lack of excitement in his life. Everything's mundane, and so he's taken up the interest in manipulating people and watching their reactions. He basically loves the human psyche.

Onto Claire! She's quite aloof, not really that talkative. She's really an airhead sometimes, especially when... well, romance stuffs. She is very, very skilled in using the spells in her grimoire. The downside is that she's extremely dependent on it, to the point where she hardly ever lets go of it. When Silver Tongue first encounters her, he finds that she has an obsessive need to help others. It's not that she's "kind hearted" or "good," but that she simply NEEDS to help others.

I don't really think I've pointed it out much, but Claire can use the grimoire as a portal. There's one in (almost) every world, usually hidden away. Claire's original world was very similar to the setting of this story, except magic wasn't really known. Or, it "didn't exist."

Anyhow, Manituk is in the real shitter right now. You know, they're in war right now, their neutral ally could possibly turn against them, and their king is pretty obsessed with winning back what they've lost to the Helitans. And so, the disheartened people of Manituk look for someone to turn to--and that's Claire. They immediately begin to idolize her as their savior and stuff.
And, that's about it for the story info dump. I was kinda drowsy when I wrote it (and I was drowsy while editing it), so it might sound pretty wacky, haha.

---

@daijinahito: Thanks, yo! I'll try hard to hold strong!! :P