Romance Visual Novel- Looking for Writers!

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Dazed
Completed: Katawa Shoujo, The Dolls' Stories
Projects: Fish & Chicks

Romance Visual Novel- Looking for Writers!

#1 Post by Dazed »

FISH & CHICKS

Good afternoon, Lemmasoft dwellers!

I'm Dazed, the lead writer of Fish & Chicks, a visual novel in the making. The VN is still in its early stages, but does have some solid groundwork laid out on GoogleDrive. That being said, we are looking talent. Can you write romance? Comedy? Drama? Fish & Chicks is a nice blend of all three. We're in need of FOUR TO FIVE writers who can help serve up some creativity and give readers the feels. There will be feels.

The story takes place in England at Holm Oak University, a school primarily geared towards those gifted in the arts and humanities fields. Shortly after moving into his dorm, it's clear to the protagonist that this is a huge opportunity to better himself....however, he's lazy and not easily motivated.

College is full of people's firsts. Drunken mishaps, allnighters, harsh professors, and independence.

Then he meets the girls...

** Note: This is not the final artwork. Just rough sketches.**

POSSIBLE LOVE INTERESTS

KUMOMI ~ ROLE FILLED- Mike
Very relaxed person. Typically a loner but enjoys the company if they come along. Doesn’t go out of her way to socialize. Very tomboyish. Spends a lot of her time working on her motorcycle, smoking, and viewing life in a very free-spirited way. She also goes missing for days at a time.

ALISHA ~ ROLE FILLED- Molly
Self conscious and sensitive...deep down. Alisha would quickly be labeled as proper for any passerby. She's a bit of a perfectionist, ultimately as coming off as snobby. She seeks approval from others and strives to push her "good manners" onto them. This stems from her parents.

-------[No image available]-------

RAZMA ~ ROLE OPEN
Social, but blunt, Razma is often seen as harsh by people who don't know her that well. She always says what's on her mind not because she is uncaring, but because she hates hiding her true feelings. She enjoys a cold beer or three and is developing a drinking problem. However, it doesn't affect her personality too much, though she can get rowdy and more boisterous than usual. She's known to have some anger issues and can be hard to reason with or calm down when ticked.

LIV ~ ROLE FILLED- Dazed
Liv is ditzy, friendly, and comfortable in any type of group. She is quick to branch out to others and also full of random information, especially past experiences that may or may not have anything to do with the current situation.
She also has a lot of experience with romance/dating, loving attention and in a way, a little too dependent on others for her happiness. Although she likes to flirt, sometimes she doesn’t even realize she’s doing it.

-------[Image not available]-------

DELSIE ~ ROLE FILLED- Kelly
Delsie grew up without any friends due to her overactive imagination. This lead her to turn to fiction and stories in order to live through friendships and love that she couldn’t experience in the real world. One of Delsie's obstacles is seeing the world for what it really is. She’s passive, but also socially inept. Reserved at first towards our protagonist, but acts more “wildly” once she gets to know him.

ROSE ~ ROLE FILLED- Angie
Not necessarily shy, but tends to avoid people she doesn’t know very well. A little awkward when it comes to common social norms/conversations. Blunt and a bit “out there.” Has been dealing with social anxiety for a while now. Often feels disconnected from others, but still feels proud to perform in front of them (plays electric guitar). Musically-driven, studies a lot of music both past and modern.

Please contact me if you are interested in writing one of our love interest's routes as well as assisting me in coming up with ideas for the common route, plot, and the story as a whole. Again, the VN is still in its early stages, but if you're up for a creative challenge, I wanna see what you're made of!

~ Dazed
Last edited by Dazed on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
New to the forum. Good things to come!....erm, I hope.

-Ren-
Projects: Shade

Re: Romance Visual Novel- Looking for Writers!

#2 Post by -Ren- »

Sounds very interesting :)
Being a native Englishman myself, I'll be looking forward to your take on the country :D It's also a rather unique setting for a VN, most typically tend to be set in Japan or other such places, so this is definitely going to appeal to me!

I can't offer myself up as a writer as I'm working on three projects of my own at the moment, but I could definitely give you any information you need on the country and it's culture.

One thing I would like to mention though - there aren't a lot of frats in England. I've studied at two universities, and even live in a university town, and I've never even heard of any frats here. I know there are some organisations that are similar in a way, but not in an American style (from what I've seen as movies, you're referring to frats where they live in a frat house, ect...).

Good luck with the VN!

breadslam
Regular
Tumblr: breadslam

#3 Post by breadslam »

Would you be able provide a ballpark estimate of route length (in hours or in words) per character? I'm interested in a long-term and collaborative creative project, but I don't want to get myself over my head for both my own sake and the sake of the project.

Also, is the common/main story (what every player sees regardless of choice) handled by either yourself or another party?

Dazed

#4 Post by Dazed »

breadslam wrote:Would you be able provide a ballpark estimate of route length (in hours or in words) per character? I'm interested in a long-term and collaborative creative project, but I don't want to get myself over my head for both my own sake and the sake of the project.

Also, is the common/main story (what every player sees regardless of choice) handled by either yourself or another party?
The main story is being written by me, but I am also asking for help in writing that, as well.
Hmmm, it's going to be along the lines of a medium length-to long visual novel (around the same amount for Katawa Shoujo Something like that). It's definitely going to be a long-term collaborative project. I've had a handful of writers flake and it's hard to keep the ball rolling when things aren't organized. So we've gotten A LOT more organized! :)

Dazed

#5 Post by Dazed »

Bumping this. If anyone knows of some skilled writers- please let me know. It's much appreciated.

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#6 Post by verysunshine »

Dazed wrote: Hmmm, it's going to be along the lines of a medium length-to long visual novel (around the same amount for Katawa Shoujo Something like that). It's definitely going to be a long-term collaborative project. I've had a handful of writers flake and it's hard to keep the ball rolling when things aren't organized. So we've gotten A LOT more organized! :)
So... about 3-6 hours per route, or about 153000 words in total?

This sounds interesting, but I'd like to know more about the project before I dive in. What kinds of story lines (or themes and topics) are you looking for? How much British English do we need to know?

EDIT: The Ren'py database says Katawa Shojou is 450,000 words long. That is a large difference.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!