Midnight's Café [GxB] [COMPLETED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

Midnight's Café [GxB] [COMPLETED]

#1 Post by Didules »

COMPLETED! You can download it here!

Synopsis:
Evelyn is eager to add a little spice in her dull life.
One night, the young girl pushes the door of a really unique cafe.
There, she meets her friend Mathieu and his mysterious environment. Evelyn’s evening soon falls into the chaos following these non-humans creatures

Characters:
Evelyn is the 18-year-old main character. She lives alone in her little Parisian flat and is fed up with her eventless life.
With a bit of a cynical mind, she usually goes with the flow. The result is a never-ending unsatisfied feeling about the way her life is heading.

Mathieu, Evelyn’s friend, is 18. Or at least it seems it’s him.
But why would he be in this strange Cafe? And why would he wear so much… Make-up?
Asmodée is said to be Mathieu’s close friend. His age is totally unknown.
He appears quite cunning and apparently knows Mathieu way more than Evelyn. He seems to have a tendency for outrageous flattering.

The owner is an (extremely) eccentric woman.
She likes to chat, so much that she sometimes forgets to listen to the answers. She owns the Café.

The bartender is a quiet young man.
If it wasn't for those stains on his skin, he'd look human. He only talks about serious and depressing topics.

Screenshot(s) et WIPs:
Update with some real screenshots

Features:
- Around 15.000 words!
- 5 endings!
- 10 CGs!
- Our tears and blood!
- Tons of bonuses!! :D

Progress:
- Writing: 100% o/
- Sprites: 100% o/
- CGs: 100% o/
- BG: 100%~ o/
- Musics: 100% o/
- Coding: 100%~
- GUI: 100%~
- Hundreds of useless bonuses: 100%~

Credits:
Writers: Minilys, RockAn9el, Didules
Art: RockAn9el, Didules
GUI: RockAn9el, Didules
Coder: Didules

Musics: Kevin McLeod, Audionautix

Team logo: Valentin Poinot

Questions:
Not relevant any longer :)
THANK YOU FOR READING! ♥
Hi there~! So this is the very first time we're trying to make a game together, we're really excited about it (at least I am :lol: ). First thread in the WIP section of LemmaSoft, whoa, so much pressure!
We'll try to update this topic at least once per week!
Thanks a lot for reading, we hope you liked what you saw so far, don't hesitate to comment! :)
Last edited by Didules on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Midnight's Café [GxB] [Urban Fantasy, Friendship, Romanc

#2 Post by Googaboga »

- Does it sound interesting so far? Why?

If I'm being honest, the plot set up sounds a little average ^^;. There's nothing wrong with that and it's not an indication of how the final product will turn out. But right now that part doesn't sound too interesting to me. But I am interested in most of the characters :].

- Which character do you prefer?

If I had to pick a favorite it'd be the bartender. I generally enjoy mopey characters X3.

- Do you want the game to have a galery? (Since it's quite short...)

I don't mind either way.

- Anything you want to know? Anything you want us to know?

Hmm, how much of this game is friendship oriented? Do certain endings center around friendship?

Good luck on your project guys :>.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Didules
Veteran

#3 Post by Didules »

Googaboga wrote:If I'm being honest, the plot set up sounds a little average ^^;. There's nothing wrong with that and it's not an indication of how the final product will turn out. But right now that part doesn't sound too interesting to me. But I am interested in most of the characters :].
Too be honest too, we totally didn't know how to write a synopsis. We received great help on that point, and yet we couldn't decide whether it would be okay to spoil a bit or not :oops: In the end we decide to go for general statements ^^;
So don't worry, and your opinion does have its importance)! (And of course being honest is always better XD (cf the "Honest critique" things, we're okay with honest critiques)) :)

Googaboga wrote:If I had to pick a favorite it'd be the bartender. I generally enjoy mopey characters X3.
I never thought someone would like him (apart from one of our team members of course) :lol:

Googaboga wrote:Hmm, how much of this game is friendship oriented? Do certain endings center around friendship?
In fact I'd say most endings and routes are about friendship, but not that much emphasazing how wonderful friendship is. The endings are more about changes. What changes will your choices bring in Evy's life, how her relationship will change, ...
So now i'll try to answer more frankly, most endings are "friendship" ones. I'd say...maybe 3 endings out of 5? The 2 others are either ambiguous either...unique(?).

Googaboga wrote:Good luck on your project guys :>.
Thanks a lot :D

Gabylc
Regular
Projects: Crossfire
Organization: Agape Studios
Tumblr: attackonbara

#4 Post by Gabylc »

Congratulation for your thread on LSF ^^ Well, you already know that I find the story to be quite interesting, I love the overall tone of your work, not all loevey-dovey, but more focused on the MC character growth from a realistic point of view. I'm also glad to see a VN set in Paris. I'll play it for sure!

I think my favorite character is the owner because of her amazing pink hair, and then Mathieu because he really looks cute! I wonder how his relationship with Evelyn will evolve.

A gallery is always a nice little bonus if you have CG I think, but it's not mandatory.
Image Check our Attack on Titan fangame. Demo available here!

Didules
Veteran

#5 Post by Didules »

Gabylc wrote:Congratulation for your thread on LSF ^^
Thanks a lot! And thanks for the help you provided until now of course! :)
Gabylc wrote: Well, you already know that I find the story to be quite interesting, I love the overall tone of your work, not all loevey-dovey, but more focused on the MC character growth from a realistic point of view.
Haha, lovey-dovey isn't our trademark! Or rather, most of us don't like lovey-dovey-cute stories :lol:
Gabylc wrote:I'm also glad to see a VN set in Paris. I'll play it for sure!
We thought that it would be better to write a story that takes place somewhere we know well, because it feels more realistic. Visiting Paris isn't the main interest of the game though, but since the BG are inspired from real place, maybe we'll put some informations as for where you can find the places in the credits (we already have to thank the owner of the Café that inspired us :lol: )
Gabylc wrote:I think my favorite character is the owner because of her amazing pink hair, and then Mathieu because he really looks cute! I wonder how his relationship with Evelyn will evolve.
Pink hair is an important criteria :lol: And if you're looking for changes in the MC's relationship with Matthieu, let's say you looked at the right place! That's something we really focused on, since each ending had to be different and had to make sense :)
Gabylc wrote:A gallery is always a nice little bonus if you have CG I think, but it's not mandatory.
We're still thinking about it because it's a huge ammount of coding for people who don't like that part of the work. If we're planning on making 8 CGs it could be interesting to have one though...

eridionn

#6 Post by eridionn »

Yesss I'm glad you made a post in here too! So excited to see how far you've gotten already * u * Been following you guys on tumblr, thanks to megs for passing on the info~

Yes, I quite like it - the cafe theme sounds way more interesting thanks to the fantasy element.

I love Asmodée and the bartender; not only the descriptions but especially the designs. Tattoos, man~

Yes that'd be great!

Nah, I kind of like to start games without knowing much about them. It's nice to discover things on your own. And well, just wanting you to know I'm really grateful to you guys for making and sharing this game! Keep up the great work!

Didules
Veteran

#7 Post by Didules »

skilledfor wrote:Yesss I'm glad you made a post in here too! So excited to see how far you've gotten already * u * Been following you guys on tumblr, thanks to megs for passing on the info~
I have to thank her for so many things, you can't imagine :lol: Thanks a lot for following us since the beginning!! :)
skilledfor wrote:I love Asmodée and the bartender; not only the descriptions but especially the designs. Tattoos, man~
Totally with you on that point ;)
Tatoo.jpg
skilledfor wrote:- Do you want the game to have a galery? (Since it's quite short...)
Yes that'd be great!
We'll probably make one in the end, because 8 CGs is a lot and it would be good if people could see them as they want ^^
skilledfor wrote: Nah, I kind of like to start games without knowing much about them. It's nice to discover things on your own. And well, just wanting you to know I'm really grateful to you guys for making and sharing this game! Keep up the great work!
*dies of happiness* ヾ(*´∀`*)ノ Thank you! It's we who are grateful that you are following our work, moreover since it's our first game and you almost know nothing about it! Thanks a trillion times for the feedback too! We will definitely finish the game!! *getting all motivated* Thanks a lot!!

EDIT:
Looks like we got Meg react: ;)
"You guys are making me blush n////n Thank you for listening to all of my rants about the game sweety! And Didules, thanks for making the whole game development rolling! ~ An9el"
////////>.<///////////

eridionn

#8 Post by eridionn »

I'M DYING HERE ASDFADFGFG REAL TEARS

I love mr bartender even more now. Can I hug him or something

And not really a problem at all, the pleasure's all mine! Actually I'd like to draw some fanart for the game if you don't mind too much ; u ; I'm all excited now that the characters have been revealed (/∇\*)

rock_an9el
Regular
Completed: Midnight's Cafe, Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: Hush hush

#9 Post by rock_an9el »

skilledfor wrote: And not really a problem at all, the pleasure's all mine! Actually I'd like to draw some fanart for the game if you don't mind too much ; u ; I'm all excited now that the characters have been revealed (/∇\*)
FANART HOLY SMOKES
If you have the time, fanart is always appreciated!!! Thanks sweety, like, really, thank you. TT w TT

And yeah, hug the bartender all you want! Just, you know... be gentle. Decomposing is a witch.

Oh, and a little something from Didules:
I love mr bartender even more now. Can I hug him or something
Image Image Image

eridionn

#10 Post by eridionn »

rock_an9el wrote: FANART HOLY SMOKES
If you have the time, fanart is always appreciated!!! Thanks sweety, like, really, thank you. TT w TT

And yeah, hug the bartender all you want! Just, you know... be gentle. Decomposing is a witch.
Not at all bby!! <333 I'll draw something proper later then yayyy~~

//FEATHERLIGHT TOUCH

minilys
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café
Tumblr: Hidden-Masquerade

#11 Post by minilys »

Skilledfor : Really happy to see I'm not the only one loving mr Bartender.

FIRST UPDATE

We're finally done with the writing and this is what the lint says:

Code: Select all

Statistics:

The game contains 972 dialogue blocks, containing 10,583 words and 55,489

characters, for an average of 10.9 words and 57 characters per block.

The game contains 8 menus, 21 images, and 12 screens.
Well, as you can see, we're still missing images in our work.

We're also done with the musics: chosen and added in the code. Isn't it nice?
If you want, we can link you one of the songs we chose. Just ask us if you're interested!

I guess this is all we have for you guys. Thank you for following us and see you next time.
More news will come soon![/color][/size]
Last edited by minilys on Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
a Hidden Masquerade game

champignonkinoko
Regular

#12 Post by champignonkinoko »

I like the overall premise because it seems very flexible. It could be a short story or long story depending on what you want.

Asmodee! I have a thing for cunning people.

I think that would be the least important at this stage :)

This is tough, because I like to play games without knowing much too. At the same time, I want to know more about the game enough to want to play. I'd say a prologue (in words) will be great! Something that doesn't let on too much but neither gives a bit of a teaser.

Good luck guys!

Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

#13 Post by Helianthus »

Sounds a little bit like Cafe Rouge actually (but without the tedious cooking mini-games, which is a big plus :lol: ). I wish your synopsis would be less on the vague side though ='). But hey, I support the project and I hope it'll come out great :wink:

Could I know how much backgrounds you're planning to have :o ? Just for curiosity purpose. You can reply in private if you want ^^.

@Minilys: Could you avoid using big bold text in red letters, please >_<? I find it painful to read :oops: (meganekko spotted)

Didules
Veteran

#14 Post by Didules »

@champignonkinoko:
champignonkinoko wrote:Asmodee! I have a thing for cunning people.
Haha, we also love cunning people indeed :lol: He is an interesting character in fact, we couldn't even tell everything about him in the game X'D
champignonkinoko wrote:This is tough, because I like to play games without knowing much too. At the same time, I want to know more about the game enough to want to play. I'd say a prologue (in words) will be great! Something that doesn't let on too much but neither gives a bit of a teaser.
Since we don't really have a "prologue" (everything flows continuously in the game), we are a bit afraid of telling too much :?
But how about this: each time we put a finished picture here as an update (we've planned on showing 1-2 CGs, some of the sprites best expressions and the backgrounds), we add a quote from the game that matches the picture?
Would this be enough teasing? (this would be without real spoilers of course)

@Helianthus:
Helianthus wrote:Sounds a little bit like Cafe Rouge actually (but without the tedious cooking mini-games, which is a big plus :lol: ). I wish your synopsis would be less on the vague side though ='). But hey, I support the project and I hope it'll come out great :wink:
Haha, yeah, the synopsis is our worst nightmare :shock: Clearly we had problems with it so we went for a vague yet simple one, too afraid to spoil as we were. In the end I think we indeed may change it (again), it's just that everyone in the team has to be convinced of the need to change it XD
Thanks a lot for the support and the help you provided us :D
(I didn't know this game, so thank you for the link! :) )
Helianthus wrote:Could I know how much backgrounds you're planning to have :o ? Just for curiosity purpose. You can reply in private if you want ^^.
We have made the game so there wouldn't be too many backgrounds (*hurm hurm* my own decision :oops: *hurm hurm*) We are planning on having no less than... 4 different backgrounds. This time they will be hand-drawn and as they could be counted as first tries, we couldn't make too many backgrounds ^^"

By the way, it's Update time!
Since both the writing part and the music parts seem to be finished, there may be only art updates for a while so I'll probably be the one doing them :lol:
First of all, the Owner's sprite is currently being colored, her colors have been slightly changed to make her match with the atmosphere of her Café...
prev.jpg
Her hair will probably be a bit less pink in the end :lol:
Of course the Barman's sprite is also being worked on since he seems to have quite some fans, but he is troubling when it comes to the lineart, just to show you...
Can't do his mouth at all @_@ Kiss from the barman?
Can't do his mouth at all @_@ Kiss from the barman?
Of course that is definitely not the kind of mouth he'll have in the game, but I thought that this was worth showing XD (The Barman ended up being an asian-typed character)
And as we were speaking of Backgrounds, I thought it would be interestinf for you to have a sneak peek.
WIP2.png
There are still many things to be corrected on this picture, some of the lines aren't good yet, but I think it may come out quite nicely in the end ^^
So for now we have many things to show but actually it almost doesn't mean anything in our stat' progress (something like 5% for each?), however we definitely are working hard on it! :)

Thanks a lot for people following this thread and supporting us, it means a lot to us (TTwTT)/ ~♥

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#15 Post by Heiden »

I think so! There's clearly some secrets about the characters that you've alluded to (Such as Mathieu's makeup and the Bartender's stains on his face) that I'm excited to learn more about!

I like the Bartender, he seems like a gloomy guy.

I'd say focus on finishing the game for now, and then once you finish it you could add a gallery if you really wanted to.

Can't wait! :D
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!