NaNoWriMo 2014

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

NaNoWriMo 2014

#1 Post by Caveat Lector »

Is anyone participating in NaNoWriMo this year? If nothing else, it might be a great excuse to get started on the basics of a new project, or rush to finish a current one. I'm not sure if I'm officially participating this year or not, though. Because...school. That's why.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

Re: NaNoWriMo 2014

#2 Post by Shinoki »

I am, but I'm 100% sure I won't even be able to reach the YWP avg word count goal of 30k. It's still fun.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#3 Post by Laiska »

I'm just going to use it to work on my WIP scripts, ha.

yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

#4 Post by yuucie »

I participated in writing a route for my VN last year, sine 50k is a perfect amount for a single char route. I managed to finish it within 16 days, so the progress was amazing.

I'm writing another char route this year, and I'm at 20k so far. It's a good way to get motivated when you know there's other people doing the same thing. :)

Clayton Barnett
Regular
Projects: OKaverse VNs
Organization: 3-AR Studios LLC

#5 Post by Clayton Barnett »

This is my first with NNWR. I've heard mention of it, here on LS before. The timing, like so many things as I get older, is suspiciously fortuitous. As I mention in my WordPress post (see sig line), I'd all the elements of a story about my mind, but was willing to do almost anything rather than sit down and type for these past few weeks.

Now, even if it's artificial, I've a reason. Starting two days late, I'm "officially" at only 2700 words, but there's that many to be spellchecked tomorrow, and I've reams of drunk-written notes from all Summer that shall see me through.

Set a dozen years from now, this story is a very interesting exercise: 'till now, I've only done visual & graphic novels. I now recognize that I've been using our wonderfully gifted illustrator as a either a crutch or short-cut. I work better under unreasonable deadlines. This shall be fun.

"Time is short; we dream big"

[Follow Up!]
Broke the 5000-word barrier today (November 4). Been learning much about my writing style: after two years of VNs, I tend to forget to describe backgrounds; everything is character development. Echoing what was said about Napoleon ("You are entirely out of Plutarch") even my wife sees most all the myriad sources of my ideas.

I also realized that while my CharDev was 'over 9000!,' for a supposed SF work, I'd forgot to put the SF in. Dang. So, I wrote that scene two hours ago. W00t. Back on track.

How's everyone else doing?
Last edited by Clayton Barnett on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#6 Post by akemicchi »

I totally forgot about NaNoWriMo and just started last night, haha. This isn't my first time, but it is my first time using it to work on my game. I've been procrastinating a lot with my writing lately (maybe 100 words a week...), so I'm using it as an excuse to get the first part done. I'm at 2,200 words so far. Just have to learn to sit down, shut up, and do it.

Good luck, everyone! :) I want to hear how everyone does by the end of the month!

breadslam
Regular
Tumblr: breadslam

#7 Post by breadslam »

I completely forgot about it myself this year, since I help out the local middle school's writing club with theirs. Ah, such is life I suppose. :)

dorne
Regular

#8 Post by dorne »

I'm planning on writing a few scenes for a vn, but not a full one.
A Tale of a Meeting. A short sci-fi VN featuring space opera in one part of the universe.

Dorne's Lets Read Visual Novels
https://www.youtube.com/user/dornevn/videos

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#9 Post by firecat »

i will try next year since my story is already on my blog and many would think i cheated XD

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

#10 Post by yuucie »

@Clayton: Belated congrats on breaking word goals! I get what you mean about backgrounds. Since I'm writing for a VN (like you said) they're not as important for me to describe, but I do find that I'm getting repetitive in describing changes of emotional states.

I found out I've been writing "smiled", "surprise", and "looked" more often than I should. After hitting my daily word goal I go back and edit/rewrite some of them, but it still bothers me how often I fall back onto these phrases.

I'm about to hit 42K today. Aiming for 75K, since the common route is 25K long and a character route is 50K long.

tigerrenko
Regular
Projects: Partisans
Organization: Red Viking
IRC Nick: tigerrenko
Deviantart: tigerrenko

#11 Post by tigerrenko »

I made it to ML this year, hope to manage to finish 50k tho, with all the game designing and producing my time for writing is limited :(

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#12 Post by Coren »

I'm working on NaNoWriMo this year, hoping to be able to publish a novel. But I'll probably add December in as well since November is a busy month.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#13 Post by Caveat Lector »

But I'll probably add December in as well since November is a busy month.
Pretty much what most of us end up doing. But in this case, it's started to help me get on track with this one story, and I kind of want to continue past November (or at least, continue writing out the parts I've outlined in my journal and then brainstorm where to go from there and if the plan needs revision).
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Clayton Barnett
Regular
Projects: OKaverse VNs
Organization: 3-AR Studios LLC

#14 Post by Clayton Barnett »

Just crested 10k. Last weekend was eaten by locusts and my awful day-job.
Ran much of the next 10k lines past my dear wife; a 48-year old man writing a SF story about a 23 year-old girl needs direxion.

Time! Where to make time! I envy you singles out there when it comes to writing; I've a house, family, the whole catastrophe...there's just no time.

Good story, even so. I'll publish on Amazon when I'm finished. If I'd not learned to write VNs via my friends here at LS, I would never have gone so far. Cheerio!