Once Upon a Hallow's Eve [GxB][Romance][Fantasy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Once Upon a Hallow's Eve [GxB][Romance][Fantasy]

#1 Post by Ran08 »

Hi guys! :)

STORY
​As one final vacation before their second-to-the-last college semester ends, 20-year-old graduating student Cara Lee and her friends decide to go to a rest house up in the mountains. However, along the way, a minor landslide knocks her unconscious, and when she wakes up, she finds herself alone in a dark and scary forest. Looking for shelter, she finds a strange and haunted-looking mansion looming up ahead. Is there really more to the mansion that it seems, or will Cara Lee uncover something sinister about the house and its inhabitants?

CHARACTERS
CARA LEE
- renameable
A 20-year-old graduating student in college. The protagonist of this story.

VIKTOR
Even though he’s only 23 years old, Viktor has made it his responsibility to take care of his two “baby” brothers. Viktor can be sort of a joker and a prankster at times. He can be pretty stern to his siblings, however. He may always have a warm smile on his face, but could there be something dark that he's hiding from the world?

VONN
Vonn is the second of the brothers at around 22 years of age. He tends to be a grump about everything, but he does have a sweet and funny side to him. He’s rarely a talkative person, but when he does talk, it can be pretty hard to shut him up. Could there be a deeper reason why he's driving our protagonist away from their home?

VERN
At 19 years old, Vern is the youngest of the brothers. He’s actually a friendly guy, but he’s too shy to show it at first. Like his oldest brother though, he likes jokes and funny punch lines. A lot. At first he didn’t want Cara Lee’s presence in his home, but he warms up to her, eventually. But as the saying goes, still waters do run deep.
PROGRESS:
Script: 100%
Sprite Art: 100%
Background Art: 100% [pre-made]
CG Art: 40%
Music: 100% [pre-made]

Statistics:
The game contains 6,191 dialogue blocks, containing 50,514 words and 265,215
characters, for an average of 8.2 words and 43 characters per block.
The game contains 22 menus, 127 images, and 12 screens.

CREDITS:
Script: Ran
Sprite & CG Art: erumin
Proofreader: Dreamgazer
Special Thanks: Natasha, sasquatchii

EXTRA ART PREVIEWS

Example In-Game Screen:

CG Sketches:

NOTES:
Thanks for checking out this game!

We were actually supposed to release Once Upon A Hallow’s Eve on October 31 TWO YEARS AGO, just in time for Halloween, but we missed the deadline. A thousand apologies! :( But, as the saying goes, "try and try until you succeed"! And we're definitely back! Hahaha. OUHE isn't exactly Halloween-themed, per se, but hopefully, it’ll have enough of that spooky vibe to be fit for Halloween. Be warned though, as I am a romantic-comedy writer and it’s probably totally impossible for me not to [subconsciously] incorporate it into my stories. :)

QUESTIONS
1. Would you like to play this game? (I do hope so! Haha!)
2. What do you think about the premise?
3. Any thoughts about the characters? (I wonder which one you like best...)
4. Comments, suggestions, critique? :)

Thanks again for checking this out! Keep playing VNs everyone! <3
Last edited by Ran08 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

PaupauSenpai
Regular
Projects: The Color of Life

Re: Once Upon a Hallow's Eve [GxB][Romance][Fantasy]

#2 Post by PaupauSenpai »

DUDE, this looks awesome! I was interested in your Seasons of Love WIP too, and now this looks awesome too, wow. I'm going to start following your game dev blog...your quality works and dedication to them is really inspirational ;w;

1. I would really love to!!
2. Sounds mysterioussss ~u~ I like it xD I like stories with big secrets in em 8D
3. They all look cute and I wuv them! I am personally amazed and in awe of Vonn. He is literally the first anime character I have EVER seen...with roots in his hair. LOL. That is phenomenal. I think I like his personality the best too but I don't dislike any of em >w<
4. It's 100% alright if you put in some hints of romantic comedy in the story xD I will be supporting you guys no matter what 8D!!

Edit: Also, Chun Li. Lol.
Last edited by PaupauSenpai on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Project:
The Color of Life, a slice-of-life otome game with a hint of fantasy, dreamworlds...and bunny and kitty boys.
Link to the WIP thread here

dreamy
Regular
Organization: Cloud9 Dreams
Tumblr: fey-en

#3 Post by dreamy »

Wow this looks really pretty. I'd definitely be interested in playing a game like this. All the characters sound interesting too. I'd love to hear more about this project :)
"Listen to the silence, it's so blissful...
So calm down and listen..."

pocoscon
Regular
Projects: Black Lotus(Hitatus), Lethal Love,

#4 Post by pocoscon »

Saw this on your blog and am glad to see it on Lemmesoft. It's okay that you didn't make the deadline. Neither did I with my game and it's demo because I planned it too late 0_0. Anyway, I think this will be a really fun game and am excited to see it come to life.

1-Yes =).

2- I like the premise. It seems kind of new to me and I always like new ideas =). I'm also curious what the brothers are hiding as well.

3-The characters are good =). I like Viktor the most because he's kind and friendly, but has a dark secret to hide. Makes one realize you can't always trust a kind smile :shock:

4-Don't have much to say besides this, but I do hope you can get a background artist for the game =). Oh, how long is this going to be though? Is it short or are you planning on making it longer then you originally intended?
Black Lotus(A work in progress)- (BxB,Horror,Thriller,Fantasy) Tells the story of a boy who must save his home and friends from dangerous creatures known as the Tainted. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=28588

Catching the Sun(A work in progress)- (GxG,Slice of Life,Friendship,Drama)

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=29404

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Ran08 »

@PaupauSenpai
Oh my gosh, thank you so much for the support! You're awesome. Hahaha. Inspirational? My goodness, I'm a huge procrastinator, hahaha. I hope you won't take after me in that aspect! ^^

"Hints" of romantic comedy? HAHAHA, actually, romcom is currently conquering this game. Hahaha. And yes, Vonn has roots, because they're brothers and they were all born with dark hair. ;) Vonn had his hair dyed, though, and now it's starting to grow. Hahaha.
Oh, the characters are all Chinese! I wanted to stick with my own roots, hahaha. You can change Chun's name, though. :))
Anyway, thank you so much for the amazing support! I really, really appreciate this. <3

@dreamy
Thank you! The artists are really wonderful, that's why! :) Oh, if you want to hear more about this, we have a dev blog... right here. :) Thanks for stopping by!

@pocoscon
Aww, thank you! You even commented, right? :)
Hahaha, oh my, good luck with your game! I hope we both release our games soon. Hahaha. Thank you so much!

I'm really not sure about the BG artist, as I am currently studying in a university and there are lots of other expenses to think about. :( Sad, I know. :))) Oh, and it's not that long! Summer Paradise, my first game, is still longer, I think. :) Although, that depends, really. It might end up longer. ;)

Thanks again for the support!

Noire
Regular
Projects: Mirage Noir

#6 Post by Noire »

Looks gorgeous so far! I can't wait for it :D

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Ran08 »

@Noire
Aww, thank you! By the way, I really love Mirage Noir! Hahaha. =) I'm your fan. Hihi.

raistlintg
Regular
Projects: Silver (VN)

#8 Post by raistlintg »

Hi !
So :

1) Oh yeah !
2) Very mysterious and intriguing. A bit of romance will be welcome so don't hesitate.
3) Chun-li herself ? Or Viktor, his description is the best.
4) Isn't the name "chun-li" going to kill the mood ? (I understand the player will be able to change it, but still.)
If the characters are
chinese, then I'd love to see references to Chinese culture and daily life.
Good luck.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Ran08 »

@raistling
Hello! :)
Thank you for checking this out!
Ohh, um... actually, haha, it IS a romance game. :D It's just sort of trying hard to be Halloween-themed. Hahaha, kidding. And as for the name, haha, that was the concern of one of the artists, as well! :) Don't worry, that is just the default, and yes, you can change it. :) At first I planned to make this a comedy, and her name is light-hearted (and personally, I find it cute) enough. And yes, the culture does show a bit on the MC's part... I guess. It's not very focused on that, though, and the only way to know that MC is actually Asian in the game is her surname, and that's not even mentioned often. (After all, you get to change her first name. ;))
Thank you very much! :)

PaupauSenpai
Regular
Projects: The Color of Life

#10 Post by PaupauSenpai »

Ran08: Lol, it's okay, I was born with that "talent" of procrastination xD But yusshhh! \;w;/ Lol yay romcom!! 8D And ohhh I see, the roots make perfect sense, they're amazing xDD And uwa that's awesome! I thought it was just a street fighter reference LOL xD
Current Project:
The Color of Life, a slice-of-life otome game with a hint of fantasy, dreamworlds...and bunny and kitty boys.
Link to the WIP thread here

Noire
Regular
Projects: Mirage Noir

#11 Post by Noire »

Ran08 wrote:@Noire
Aww, thank you! By the way, I really love Mirage Noir! Hahaha. =) I'm your fan. Hihi.
Omg, thanks, you are too kind :D

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Ran08 »

@PaupauSenpai
Don't worry. Me too. :) But, of course, we have to keep in mind that procrastination will never get us anywhere. :)
I'm glad to hear that! Hahaha. Thank you!

And... I actually thought of that after picking out the name. I realized it too late. HAHAHA. :)

@Noire
Nah, I speak the truth! Hahaha. :)

Gospel
Regular
Completed: SHINRAI - Broken Beyond Despair
Projects: GENBA no Kizuna
Organization: GosatsuVNs
Tumblr: gosatsuvns
itch: gosatsuvns

#13 Post by Gospel »

I have to admit the name Chun Li made me immediately think of Street Fighter, as well... (I was almost disappointed to see you can change it... as I was hoping there'd be some Street Fighter references thrown into the dialogue here and there :lol: )

But on a more serious note, I really like the art (can't wait to see the finished versions of those CGs).
Just from the art and descriptions alone, I like Vern the most. I'm really curious to see how the brothers will interact with each other.

I love Halloween a lot, so I also hope "it’ll have enough of that spooky vibe to be fit for Halloween".
SHINRAI - Broken Beyond Despair is a murder mystery visual novel.
To learn more, click on the pic above or visit our website: http://gosatsu.com/

Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#14 Post by Rosstin »

Love the art! Super cute!

Junesong
Regular