Movement [GxG] [Drama] [Friendship] [Romance] [KN]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

Re: Movement [GxG] [Drama]

#16 Post by meiri »

Update...3.1?
This past week had almost no progress (can you tell by my late update?) Yesterday I achieved an hour's worth of writing, but overall, I've been quite busy. But I've got a new computer, and I'm ready to hunker down and get some work done with this faster computer!

And thus, this update is 3.1 as hopefully later this week I'll have a better update. (I'll be working on the Deeble search engine graphics.)
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

meiri
Regular

#17 Post by meiri »

Update 3.2!

With this update on my progress, I am elated to show you the new and improved web browser graphics!:
Aren't they gorgeous?
Well, maybe not, but I was aiming for a design that was easy to code but still looked modern, and this was the result.

And yes, there is a silly ad that will produce random responses from Callie if you click on it.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering:
"Why, meiri, when will you show us what the search engine results are?"
Why, when I release the demo, of course!
"Whaaaat? A demo?!"

Ho ho, yes, a demo. Once I finish up with coding the web browser, the last few background graphics, two CGs, and finish up the writing, I'll proudly be able to release a semi-polished demo. :)

I also have added a question to our list:
What do you look forward to seeing in the demo? How do you think the option to browse the internet on feminist topics will affect the gameplay? Do you like the idea? Would you want to disable it?
Can't wait to see any responses and feedback you guys have!

Meanwhile, I'm considering opening up a dev-blog, my only question is as to whether or not I want to host it on wordpress, blogspot, or tumblr. I was also considering a website, but that's not very likely ;). A development blog seems more sensible and plausible.

Lastly, I'd like to finish up this update with a LINT report (on statistics):
Statistics:

The game contains 705 dialogue blocks, containing 7,216 words and 38,592
characters, for an average of 10.2 words and 55 characters per block.

The game contains 6 menus, 14 images, and 12 screens.
Movement, when finished, will probably contain anywhere from 10k to 20k words. I know that is a wide range, but who knows how much could get written?

Anyway, I am glad to sign off with a productive update, and still, look forward to one this Sunday, which may, or may not, include sample of writing! :D
--

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#18 Post by Caveat Lector »

I love the look of the web browser. For added authenticity, maybe you could add the option for Callie to find a site that looks legit at first glance, only for it to be a blank page that comes with 100 annoying pop-ups congratulating her on being the one-hundredth visitor to the site and offering up a million-dollar cash prize as long as she shares her bank account password? It could be a hidden bonus bad end! :lol: (The days before ad-blocker were dark days...)

As for the demo, I think I would rather have the option to browse the internet for feminist topics in-game only--as in, the internet browser within the game, not the internet-internet. I do still like the idea, though! I'd probably also try to follow the dev blog, but tumblr's not working properly for me.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

meiri
Regular

#19 Post by meiri »

Caveat Lector wrote: As for the demo, I think I would rather have the option to browse the internet for feminist topics in-game only--as in, the internet browser within the game, not the internet-internet. I do still like the idea, though! I'd probably also try to follow the dev blog, but tumblr's not working properly for me.
Oh, the internet browser and websites and such are entirely in game! Doing it through the real internet would be a lot of work and probably not as much interest for the player. :lol:
(The days before ad-blocker were dark days...)
Indeed they were... :cry: *solemnly sad head-shaking*
--

meiri
Regular

#20 Post by meiri »

Update #4!
Alrightie, I'm very aware that I skipped an update last Sunday, for the sole reason that I just wanted to give a BETTER update this week! :D

First off, I've completely coded in my browser. However, I'm having many hindrances along the way, so I'm having to work at that, it seems. If I absolutely cannot figure it out, I'll seek the help of a more experienced coder, but either way, once I am ready to release the demo, I will need beta-testers! :D
I'm planing on 4-6 CGs in the game. Which means 2-3 for each girl. I'm hoping for 6 but if time does not allow, then certainly, 4 is okay.

Thirdly, Deja's route type has changed! I've decided that her route will also be romantically oriented, as is Bevelyn's.

Writing-wise, I've done plenty for Deja's route, not much for Bevelyn's. I've taken a break from Bevelyn's route because hers has the bit with the internet-searching, and therefore I don't want the browser to mess with any writing and vice versa.

Also, there are some random tidbits of info you may be interested to know:
  • Movement is set in the United States, in a mixed-race city with urban and suburban homes. It's winter in the game, but Callie moved from a very hot place, so she's only got tank tops and short sleeved clothes. While there are some scenes that take place in the school, I would not say it's a high-school setting.
  • Callie, Deja, and Bevelyn are all juniors in high school.
  • While the game is a GxG pairing, it is much more heavily targeted towards a feminine audience, however, I'm sure anyone can enjoy it. ;)
  • There is no explicit content. The rating is probably 14+ or 15+ as there are mentions of sex, alcohol and there is some mild cursing, but really, it's not much for anyone who is in high school or older.
I unfortunately do not have any pretty pictures to show you today. :( But I will sign off with a sample of writing from Movement!
"She leaned forward and snatched them out my hands. The car wheezed and shook as she shoved the key in the ignition and cranked it up."
"It sputtered and seemed to jerk as she played with the controls. It was a stick shift, or straight-drive, whatever it's called."
d "I only really know how to work automatics."
"She leaned back into the seat yet again and sighed with a smile."
d "This... feels pretty nice, though."
"She sat back up and put her foot on the acceleration pedal. It jerked forward haughtily and she shrieked, shocked that it actually did anything."
"Shaking slightly, I watched as she yanked the key out."
"Her face lit up with a wild but nervous grin."
d "Fun, but I won't try that again. Don't wanna drive off the lot, ya' know?"
c "D-Definitely!"
"Silence gently enveloped us. We didn't really have much to talk about."
"I felt pretty uncomfortable, but who am I to break the silence."
d "I love it up here..."
"I heard her murmur and smiled."
c "Really? At least I'm not making it awkward."
d "You're not. It's just so cool up here."
d "I can see the sky, and I can imagine all the different stuff that happened in this car."
d "There are so many lives out there, other than ours, you know? But we don't know about even half of them! So many lives are a mystery to us."
d "I guess you could say I wanna know about people."
d "I want to be a sociologist."
"I sat up, at attention."
c "That's interesting."
d "I bet it's the last thing you would have expected, huh?"
I've got a loooong ways to go in the world of writing, but I quite like this part, so here you go!

Thank you for reading, and stay tuned! :D
Last edited by meiri on Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

meiri
Regular

#21 Post by meiri »

Can I a get a "YAY" for social media?
The development blog is up!

Mmm, what could be better than to-the-minute updates and game development woes through your favorite microblogging platform?

It's hosted on tumblr, so if you have an account, follow for great updates, sketches, and logs on the ups and downs of visual novel development.

We even have a gorgeous header image for the blog! :D So, again, here is the link!

That is all for now, so stay tuned for tomorrow's update, which will have tons of great news! :)
--

meiri
Regular

#22 Post by meiri »

Update #5!

If you didn't get the news yesterday, then you'll be glad to know that I have officially gotten the development blog up! If you want more information, please see the previous post.

Aside from the dev-blog, I now have some fabulous information on progress-- the programming is entirely complete for the web browser! Yoo-hoo! Took about two weeks, but it is done and it is polished to perfection.

As you can see, we have the finished, polished, and pretty new logo!:
This is, hopefully, the last revision of the logo. ;)

You may have noticed that at the end of the last post, I showed a cute image of all 3 girls chillin' out. It is what I plan to use not only as our blog header but for our main "promo image," for posting on websites and etc.

I've made good progress on writing,CGs, and backgrounds so lastly I'd like to present a concept art for a CG as well as a finished background. :)
It's rough but you get the idea. ;)
'

That is all I have currently, so...
Stay tuned for the next update! :)
--

xiaomao
Regular

Re: Scums of the Earth [GxG] [Drama]

#23 Post by xiaomao »

Bto3 wrote:
Mad Harlequin wrote:
Bto3 wrote:For instance, I really disagree with where radical feminists and trans-erasing radical feminists are coming from, but they're still feminists!
Radfems and TERFs are part of a problematic hemisphere of feminism, but in ultimately fighting for the same things, they're feminists. It's a portion of feminism that needs to be condemned (it's a portion that I most certainly condemn).
Radical feminists like Audre Lorde and bell hooks?
I honestly have no idea why you would want to condemn brave women like them. Pretty darn essential to the movement, those folks.

meiri
Regular

#24 Post by meiri »

Update #6!

I so, so, apologize for skipping last week's update yet again! If you follow the development blog then you certainly caught that announcement. (Seriously, if you have an account there and are truly interested in Movement, it would be quite beneficial for you to follow it! Plus, I promise to start updating it more often, heehee.)

However, there is great news: I am really close to a demo! I've got very very little writing left to do, and currently I'm doing a lot of editing and polishing on the writing. Most of this stage is just that-- fixing up little things to make a presentable and pretty demo!
I'm also picking music and finishing up the CG.

Now, I'd like to show a couple more previews!

I also posted this to the dev blog:
It is a much revised and final sketch of the CG in update #5! If you can't tell, it is Deja and Callie sitting in the back of a truck.

This is a writing sample from a scene after Callie's first day in her new school.
"Deja raced out to the road, laughing as she joined another group of girls and climbed on the bus."
"I watched her with a tinge of jealousy."
"It almost wasn't fair, but it was logical."
"Deja has lived here longer than myself, so therefore, she has friends."
"I feel so distracted and spaced-out, like the world is simply drifting by like tumbleweed."
"There's no way this is all just because I'm lonely. It's deeper than just that. It goes all the way down to the reason I moved in the first place."
"I had to move because of my father, and now, I'm resentful and lonely. And now I'm just--"
c mad "Hey!"
"Someone rammed into me, moving to their bus, clearly ignoring my presence."
"Okay, maybe now I'm a little too spaced-out."
"I need to get over myself and stop moping over my life. After all, I am now living the life of the modern, seperated family."
"I know how high school is. I'm a junior, for goodness sake."
"I need to make some friends, before I really end up alone."
Lastly I have another screenshot on the ingame web browser as well as some info on it.

Sorry to blur out everything again! At least we have an idea on one of the topics. ;) I just don't want to spoil anything, ho ho.

In the full version of the visual novel there will be two things for the web browser:
-A tutorial to explain it (it'll be short and sweet)
-The option to disable it so you don't have to do the "research," you can just get Callie's summary on what she thought about what she learned.
-The web browser wont be in Deja's route (there's no point).

Neither of these things will be in the first demo! Sorry! It is very easy to implement but I have my reasons, believe me. :) The browser works just like one normally would, I promise, and it's not a long process, just a couple of clicks. I will release a short description on how it works, though, but in the full game, I will have a tutorial with pictures and such.

When I say "disable" it, the game will do a "fade to black" and then will return as if you did the research, but without the actual interaction.

If all this is confusing, don't worry, it'll make more sense when I release the demo!

tl;dr:
You can disable and/or see a tutorial in the full visual novel, but not in the demo. Sorry! Also, Deja's route will not have a web browser, as its not needed.

That is all I have to present and look forward to the demo! It is very soon!
--

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Re: Movement [GxG] [Drama] [Friendship] [Romance]

#25 Post by akemicchi »

The web-browser looks really awesome! I like it a lot. Nice to hear that the demo is coming out really soon though. I can't wait to play!

Good luck! Just a little more to go! :)

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#26 Post by Seigetsu »

Allow me to first thank you! Thank you for attempting to making a GxG game - there aren't enough of them, especially the ones that are plot-centric and not just based on fanservice.

I'm intrigued by your plot and the characters' personalities. As with other commenters, I'm interested in how you'll handle the feminist character and whether you can address not only the diversity of feminist ideas, but also society's perception of them.

I'm not sure if you've already answered this in previous posts, but I was wondering if this would be a commercial release or a free game?

In terms of art, I quite like the style and the character designs. I don't know why, but I get a more realistic, down-to-earth kind of feel from how the characters are drawn compared to most other VNs. However, the backgrounds are a little rough, with some of the furnishings looking a little too soft (the wall in your first screenshot, for instance, looks bent), and there is a bit too much empty space in most of the backgrounds in your screenshots. Would you consider using image-manipulated photographs or free-to-use backgrounds from other artists? I find custom backgrounds to be nice, but not exactly necessary, and I understand that a lot of work needs to be put in to make them look good. If you're really set on making custom backgrounds, you might want to consider a 3D-modelling program like sketchup for modelling all the furnishings so all the lines are straight and the perspectives are correct.

Anyway, good luck on this project. I look forward to playing the demo.

meiri
Regular

#27 Post by meiri »

akemicchi wrote:The web-browser looks really awesome! I like it a lot. Nice to hear that the demo is coming out really soon though. I can't wait to play!

Good luck! Just a little more to go! :)
Glad to hear that you like it!
Seigetsu wrote:Allow me to first thank you! Thank you for attempting to making a GxG game - there aren't enough of them, especially the ones that are plot-centric and not just based on fanservice.
I definitely have to agree with you here-- my main goal is to make a GxG VN targeted at girls, without R18 content, and very plot based.
Seigetsu wrote: I'm not sure if you've already answered this in previous posts, but I was wondering if this would be a commercial release or a free game?
I had this in the original text version of the main post, but when I remodeled it, I left it out. This is a totally free game! :) I also believe that I'm going to be releasing the source code (but not assets) under a CC-BY-NC-SA license.
Seigetsu wrote: In terms of art, I quite like the style and the character designs. I don't know why, but I get a more realistic, down-to-earth kind of feel from how the characters are drawn compared to most other VNs. However, the backgrounds are a little rough, with some of the furnishings looking a little too soft (the wall in your first screenshot, for instance, looks bent), and there is a bit too much empty space in most of the backgrounds in your screenshots. Would you consider using image-manipulated photographs or free-to-use backgrounds from other artists? I find custom backgrounds to be nice, but not exactly necessary, and I understand that a lot of work needs to be put in to make them look good. If you're really set on making custom backgrounds, you might want to consider a 3D-modelling program like sketchup for modelling all the furnishings so all the lines are straight and the perspectives are correct.

Anyway, good luck on this project. I look forward to playing the demo.
I'm glad I'm getting this kind of response to the art style! The art and writing was actually to reflect a very light-hearted, personal feel, but without being cutesy and/or downright humorous.

I do agree with you on the backgrounds. I actually hope that towards the end of the project I will be able to redo all of the art assets. There aren't very many more past the ones I've shown, so it's definitely an attainable goal (just not for the demo).

I'm very happy to hear your feedback as well as interest, and hope to hear from you again once the demo is out. :)
--

meiri
Regular

#28 Post by meiri »

Update #7!

The first thing that you all should know, is that unfortunately the dev blog had to be taken down. There was someone who happened to to put tons of random posts into the blog without me noticing, and it was far too many to delete, so I simply took it down. Sorry, guys!
Will I make a website? I'm not very sure, it will depend on many factors...

Now, for the actual update part:

....Well, there's not much.
I have been working on Movement in all my free time, but there isn't much to show in terms of progress. There's a lot of tweaking, fixing and planning as of right now, with just a very small bit of writing left. I hope to get the demo out sometime in December, late November if I'm lucky!

Here is the progress of the demo, as the one on the main thread is of the overall game:

Writing: 90%
Art Assets: 70%
Music: ??? (I know, the question marks are also on the main page. Music is the one thing not being done by me, and I'm using CC tracks, and just adding in more as it is needed.)
Tweaking/Polishing: 50%
Programming: 100%
GUI: 99% (I'm considering changing the textbox, but the rest of the GUI will be Ren'Py default until later times. :) )

Sorry for the silence on my part, but that's all for now!
Last edited by meiri on Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#29 Post by Seigetsu »

Good to hear that you're still working on this game. It's nice to have custom GUI, backgrounds and all, but I really don't think it's all that necessary. How many CGs (if any) are you planning for this game?

meiri
Regular

#30 Post by meiri »

Seigetsu wrote:How many CGs (if any) are you planning for this game?
I have two in the demo, and for the full game, I'm thinking about four total for the full game. I will have six if I find it absolutely necessary, but I think four will be enough. There's going to be an equal number of CGs in each route, nevertheless.
--