Problems with Py???

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
kmsgameboy
Regular

Problems with Py???

#1 Post by kmsgameboy »

Hey I downloaded Renpy 4.3.1 and played the demo game. I AM VERY EXCITED! But I ran into a little problem. I have tried clicking on all 3 of the applications in the renpy-4.3.1 folder and all that happens is a window (that looks like a DOS prompt) pops up for just a second and then disappears. How exactly am I supposed to make the game. Am I just missing something from being so over worked....or is something wrong??? :? Thanks in advance for the help!
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI
Please drop by my website! ^_^

Tage
Regular

#2 Post by Tage »

The demo (run_game.exe) IS the same program that your game is going to be. n.n; All you have to do is edit the script inside the game folder. :D You're probably opening a different program.

kmsgameboy
Regular

#3 Post by kmsgameboy »

Tage wrote:The demo (run_game.exe) IS the same program that your game is going to be. n.n; All you have to do is edit the script inside the game folder. :D You're probably opening a different program.
then how do i save my script as a .rpy file???
"In this world, there are many like me who have killed their emotions. Don't forget that."
-Shadow FFVI

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#4 Post by mikey »

Simply edit the .rpy file that is in the game directory. Works for me.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Specifically, right click on script.rpy, pick "Open With...", and chose Notepad. You may want to check "Always use this program" so you can just double-click on the script next time.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#6 Post by rioka »

If your script comes up jarbled on Notepad with squares and text run into each other, use Wordpad instead.

kmsgameboy
Regular

#7 Post by kmsgameboy »

well why didnt you just say somewhere to use word pad in the first place :P

thanks guys :mrgreen:
-Shadow FFVI