Sigma's Art Thread

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Sigma
Projects: Flowers of Vanrie

Sigma's Art Thread

#1 Post by Sigma »

Hello all! I've been in and around the forums for a bit and I thought that it was time to settle down and try to put myself out there. Of course, I'm still a bit nervous... Hehe...

But anyhow! I'll be posting a lot of WIPs and sometimes completed works. Maybe through in a live stream here and there - it depends on how comfortable I am. So, yeah! Feel free to add in your own two cents here and there! But please keep it constructive! Thank you very much for checking it out and I hope you like it (and the future updates)!
This is a random concept I had in mind. No line art, but I do have three sketches. I made a copy of the third sketch (just in case) and started to color over it. Still a WIP, but with some more patience it can be completed!
This is a random concept I had in mind. No line art, but I do have three sketches. I made a copy of the third sketch (just in case) and started to color over it. Still a WIP, but with some more patience it can be completed!
This one is actually unrelated to "Desert Flower." This girl's name is Atrym and she's a very personal OC of mine. I plan on using her in the very distant future. She definitely has a special place in my heart! This particular picture is still a WIP and I was exploring some different sketch techniques. It's meeh....
This one is actually unrelated to "Desert Flower." This girl's name is Atrym and she's a very personal OC of mine. I plan on using her in the very distant future. She definitely has a special place in my heart! This particular picture is still a WIP and I was exploring some different sketch techniques. It's meeh....
Most days I don't have time to sit down and draw on the computer- so I draw in class! It occupies my time very well... perhaps too well.<br /><br />This is a little sneak at some of the backgrounds in the princess otome some of you may have seen in the Recruitment thread. xD No one will shoot me if I post some rough bgs here! I hope...
Most days I don't have time to sit down and draw on the computer- so I draw in class! It occupies my time very well... perhaps too well.

This is a little sneak at some of the backgrounds in the princess otome some of you may have seen in the Recruitment thread. xD No one will shoot me if I post some rough bgs here! I hope...

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: Sigma's Art Thread

#2 Post by chocojax »

* Desert Flower.jpg
I find the overall result of the colors+shading technique to make it muddy. I'd suggest working with hard brushes/brushes that don't blend so much first, and THEN going back into the drawing and blending whatever needs to be blended.

It could also use some more push in terms of difference and stuff! I don't really have a good feel of form from looking at this. I usually go to spots that are definitely far away from the main source of light/hidden behind other objects and push the darkness as much as I can, and then going back and adjusting it accordingly later on. Examples of these spots could be: cloth behind the leg, arm facing away from the viewer.

Also, her stomach looks extremely flat here. Even though it does sort of flattens out when stretched, there's still some sort of difference in form (link)

* Hall 2 Sketch.jpg
The only thing I can really say is how flat the walls look, especially the one to the left. The bottom of it curves a lot, but the (paintings?) don't curve AS much, making it look strangely flat. It also strangely lines up with the far away windows.

The viewpoint also looks too low, imo.

Hope this helps, yo!
Attachments
critique2.png
critique.png

Sigma

#3 Post by Sigma »

Ah! Thank you so much! I do realize that coloring isn't my strongest suite, which is why lineless art is very... iffy... I'll probably have to look around for some good brush settings - I think a majority of my brushes are all soft. Haha. But thank you for pointing it out. It probably would have been best to have a light source in mind, but I'll try to establish one from now on.

xD And the boob plate is... a boob plate? I dunno! I just wanted to draw it for some reason. There's no rhyme or reason to it really.

As for the background, I'm not really sure what to do for the walls. Bricks? Plaster? Hm... it's such a decision... But the overall goal in mind for my traditional stuff is to keep it as clean as possible so I can easily make the line art for it. But, yes! I'll try to be more confident with textures and what not! I think I'll make the back wall smaller though before I start the line art. xD Now I can see what you mean when you said the painting is lining up with the windows!

But, anyhow, I really do appreciate you taking the time to look and commenting! =D I really do! It's very helpful.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#4 Post by chocojax »

I forgot to add this onto my post, but something that helps me out a lot is:
- fill in colors
- try to make a huge glop of where I believe dark shadows should go
- go over with lighter shadows
Since that's basically how stuff works, right? Everything's super dark, and light is the only thing that brings you to the true color, sorta. It looks a bit more natural when I draw that way, plus, the dark colors already go to the hard-to-reach corners.

Oh no, the only reason why I wrote boob plate (sorry, forgot to explain this too, hehh) was because I wasn't sure if it had a sort of dip into it (which is what I doodled to the side) or if it kind of bent a little? It was kind of confusing, especially since the pattern has a > at the middle, but the white/gold stuff suggested that it was flat, suggesting that there wasn't a dip. Sooo, I was only curious as to what sort of form it had. :P

Mmmm... it looks really fancy, so maybe plaster. I would only imagine bricks/stone for a much older sort of feel.

Hey, no problem! It was my pleasure, yo. :P

Sigma

#5 Post by Sigma »

The start of short but stressful week Q_Q
Everything is a bit better with a few headshots though!
image.jpg
image.jpg