How many people play with sound?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Nox

How many people play with sound?

#1 Post by Nox »

Myself, I rarely play with any sound from a visual novel simply because I play other things with audio on the side.

Suika
Regular

Re: How many people play with sound?

#2 Post by Suika »

It depends on the focus. If it's a traditional visual novel with no flashy mechanics, then I almost always play with sound. I like to immerse myself in the story's environment, and sound is a big part of that for me.

On the other hand, if the focus of the VN is less on story and more about other elements (e.g., sim games), then I might play music in the background, and turn the game audio off. Of course, it's a different story if the novel is voiced (no pun intended >.<)

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#3 Post by Rossfellow »

When it comes to horror, the combination of sound and the uncanny lack of sound really add a lot to the experience, so I have plenty reasons to play with and experiment with sound.

I just wish it was so easy (as someone with no experience with sound design/editing) to acquire the ones I need.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#4 Post by Snowflower »

Sound as in sound effect? or BGM as well?

I think when the creator puts music to the visual novels, most of the time it is because they seem fit to the scene. It kind of builds the mood for me. Like music can convey the emotions that the writing alone can't portray? Idk, that's just me.
as for sound effects, I don't care as long as they're not distracting and makes you deviate away from the plot.
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#5 Post by truefaiterman »

Always, sound is pretty important to me, sets the mood and can add a lot to the experience.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#6 Post by Kia »

I play all games with music on 1 to 10 percent and around 20 percent of sound effects, if it has talking I'll have it on 30-40 percent. this way I can watch movies on the side of gaming. but ofc it depends on the game itself.

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#7 Post by Shinoki »

I usually play visual novels with sound, but that's probably because I feel rude not listening to what other people put their energy into to make, and I don't play in public places.

SinSisters
Regular
Completed: The Spanish Privateer
Projects: The Spanish Privateer
Tumblr: sinsisters
itch: sinsisters

#8 Post by SinSisters »

I always play the sound! And there's nothing weirder than playing a visual novel which has exactly zero music or sound effects when I'm on the title screen, as I'm constantly checking to see whether the sound even works. In good VN, the music always has a purpose, and NOT having music has a bigger purpose (good for creating a chilling effect if you go from happy music to an abrupt stop, to creepier music)

-Nat

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#9 Post by sasquatchii »

I always play with sound & music on. If there's no sound or music, I find it a little unsettling, and sometimes will double check to make sure my headphones are plugged in. I like sound effects, music, & ambience noises. For me, they make the game feel more real and set the mood for the story.
ImageImage

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#10 Post by Morhighan »

After experiencing sound novels like Umineko no Naku koro ni, I try to play with sounds on, as I find they add to the game greatly. I am very sensitive to sounds and they tip me off to the feeling of certain scenes that I might not otherwise understand due to my communication disorder.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#11 Post by kaleidofish »

All creators should put audio into their visual novels because there will always be at least one player who plays your VN with sound. :D I love finding music & sfx to fit with the scenes that I'm writing. It takes a while to find the perfect music when you don't have a musician on your team, but the work always pays off!

edit: But to answer the question, I play with sound on.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#12 Post by Kia »

kaleidofish wrote:All creators should put audio into their visual novels because there will always be at least one player who plays your VN with sound.
from the looks of it 99% play with sound and at least one plays without sound :mrgreen:

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#13 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Sound is super important to me when gaming, I get annoyed if I can't hear something properly. It effects the mood and the way something is read. The only reason I would turn it off is if someone did a terrible job and it didn't fit the story at all or if it was hurting my ears -x- Otherwise I always have it turned on.

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#14 Post by ketskari »

It depends on the music. Sometimes even when I like the music, repetition can make it grating. I also can't read and listen to something that pulls my attention at same time, so sometimes I turn it off if there are dramatic, high pitched, metallic, vocal or electronic sounds (usually some combination of this).

Other than that, my preference is to read a VN with the music.

LiamExe
Regular
Projects: Locked Souls
itch: liamexe

#15 Post by LiamExe »

I always like to have sound on when playing these sorts of games, since I feel the music and sound effects generally add to the atmosphere of the game, and help paint a better picture of the scene at hand. I'd understand muting the audio if it was for repeated plays or something, though. But I couldn't even imagine playing something through silent for the first time.

As others have said, it helps with the immersion, especially since I like to wear earphones when playing these sorts of things. Sometimes hours can by in the blink of an eye when I'm just fully immersed in the world the story has created. :D
Current Project--Writing Services [OPEN]