Fate/Stay Night

For the rest of your otaku life.
DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#16 Post by DrakeNavarone »

At its core, FSN has a pretty simple concept... 7 magicians (Masters) each summon one legendary hero (Servant) to fight in the Holy Grail War. Once the other six Servants are defeated, the Holy Grail appears and both Servant and Master get one wish granted.

One Servant for each of the seven classes is summoned, possessing super human strength, special abilities, and some really cool weapon of some kind. Has the makings of a really cool RPG (Nasu even gives them stats...). But instead of taking the simple route and make it seem like just another cheesy action piece, Fate is a lot "heavier". I don't mean to insult any fsn fans when I say this (cuz i'm a fsn fan myself), but it's sort of like Dragonball Z for adults... The flashy fights are awesome, but the consequences are real and serious. A lot of innocent lives get caught up in this mess, and there's this air of impending doom since you could die at anytime. It also delves into more philosophical and meaningful things, like duty and personal ideals, etc, etc.

The mythology behind it is also pretty cool. Things like the rules and history of the Grail War, the magic system, The Servants true names and histories, the abilities of each servant and their weapons are explained in detail. The whole "technical" side of the war is well thought out and pretty interesting.

There are three major paths: Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel. The latter two have two different endings (so five endings in total). They each differ from one another vastly. It's true that you don't meet some of the characters is specific arcs. A few characters are only introduced in one of the arcs, or one of the servants doesn't make a single appearance. In the game, you're forced to play them in order, but that's probably for the better, anyway.

But Fate's biggest selling point would have to be its characters. They all have distinct personalities, and have real depth to them. It's just amazing getting to learn more about them, and figuring out why they do the things they do. Their personal beliefs and experiences really shape who they are. And how they change from arc to arc is amazing too.

I haven't played the game. All of my info is from the anime, or second-hand details from the internet. So I'm sure when the translations are done, Fate will be even better in my eyes, and I could go into more detail.

If you don't mind spoilers (heavy spoilers) then you can always try the Moonlit World fansite, which details both Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#17 Post by lordcloudx »

Even in the anime, there are signs that Archer doesn't agree with Shirou's ideals.
I felt it lacked something (the anime) to raise it from just "good" to "spectacular." Maybe a little bit more focus on some of the characters.
A very similar anime done right (in my opinion) is X/1999. 7 dragons of heaven against the 7 dragons of earth. Fated to battle each other to change or not change the world and the one called Kamui who has the power to decide. It's also 24 episodes but there was a lot more focus on each individual character.

After what DrakeNavarone said though, I'm getting tempted to install fate/stay night and try to capture and translate the text line by line with something like anime game text hooker.

The characters also make good fighting game characters in Fatal/Fake and Fate/Sword Dance (though a playable shirou would have been nice)

I'm more of a shoujo/bishoujo fan anyway.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#18 Post by DrakeNavarone »

X/1999 was good (although not one of my favorites), and I can definetly see the similarities. X may have done it better than FSN, but X didn't have to overcome the biggest obstacle that faced the anime version of Fate: how to deal with the multi-path story.

There's no way everything could have been incorporated into the anime. Not only is there way too much to include, but circumstances in each of the scenarios can conflict with each other.

It is a shame that some of the characters got shafted, but that's how it is. Sometimes these characters only shine in one of the arcs (Rider, for example. Her screentime was short in Fate, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't even make an appearance in UBW.)

The same complaints were made when the Tsukihime anime came out. I guess TYPEMOON games won't ever have a truely spectacular VN-to-anime conversion...
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#19 Post by lordcloudx »

I resurrect thee from the depths of page 2.

Anywayz, I just wanted to share this. I was watching the animax-asia english dubbed version of fate/stay night episode 14 (Archer vs Berserker ep) and I thought they did a pretty good job of "englishizing" archer's bad engrish when he invokes unlimited blade works.

From what I can remember
For you do not know that I am the bone of my sword
steel is my body and fire is my blood
I tear mountains from the earth
and water from the seas
I am unknown to death and unknown to life

Through the centuries, I have created many weapons for you.
Yet, these hands will never hold anything ever again.
So I pray to you, while I still live, give me unlimited blade works.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Otaku Dash
Veteran

Re:

#20 Post by Otaku Dash »

lordcloudx wrote:I resurrect thee from the depths of page 2.

Anywayz, I just wanted to share this. I was watching the animax-asia english dubbed version of fate/stay night episode 14 (Archer vs Berserker ep) and I thought they did a pretty good job of "englishizing" archer's bad engrish when he invokes unlimited blade works.

From what I can remember
For you do not know that I am the bone of my sword
steel is my body and fire is my blood
I tear mountains from the earth
and water from the seas
I am unknown to death and unknown to life

Through the centuries, I have created many weapons for you.
Yet, these hands will never hold anything ever again.
So I pray to you, while I still live, give me unlimited blade works.
*focus energy to ressurect the thread from the dead once again*

Right now I'm addicted to type moons works and things related to it... so basicly right now I'm playing Tsukihime English (with the trasnlations from Mirror Moon and Revolve) and Melty blood (all sagas including Act Cadenza Version B for Pc... still waiting for teh trasnlation). Anyways... I don't have much experience on Fate stay night but right now I'm checking into it since I'm playing Battle Moon wars (a grid like adventure like Super robot wars but with charas from Tsukihime, Kagetsu Tohya, Melty blood, Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia) and yhey pulled unlimited blade works from archer quite well... they don't put all the chant but you can check it here:

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=2SvUdtHQSXA

*coughs* and yeah... on offtopicness: Battle moon wars kicks ass... I so want episode 4 to come out T_T *coughs*
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Fate/Stay Night

#21 Post by monele »

Woah... animation quality has gone up like crazy since the first one o_O;;;...

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#22 Post by Otaku Dash »

monele wrote:Woah... animation quality has gone up like crazy since the first one o_O;;;...
It has hasn't it? Archer's Unlimited Blade works is one of the moves with "drop-jaw" effect on that department.... of course if you check most moves from saga 3.. it's just madness. I just installed them again cause I didn't play much (lack of disk space at the time) and the game is just amazing... I'm just at the start of the super route.. i think I'm on fight 4 where Shiki must survive and we must finish The wolf and Satsuki.

Everyone is begguing for 4... I can't wait for it!!! ^^

More examples of eye candy from episode 3:
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=7GewDceikYw&NR=1 -> Shiki's Ultimate Mystic eyes of death perception
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=dmjxdYefD ... ed&search= -> Takumi MKII God slaying blade

*coughs* Anyways... offtopicness aside, I still have yet to see the anime or the game..(Fate/Stay Night I mean) but from what I've seen from the game so far, it's pretty incredible... well I have become a fan of Type Moon's works due to melty blood so... yeah :P
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#23 Post by monele »

I did check out other videos and was very impressed ^^. It's still amateurish at times but wow... they know how to make your eyes go shiny XD. And of course, now I want to put fighting scenes in all my projects, pfah! XD

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#24 Post by Vatina »

Yes Battle Moon Wars is much fun ^^ Makes me want to make such things in my games too, hehe.

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#25 Post by Otaku Dash »

Lol yeah I know what you mean... since due to all that happened, I couldn't pick up "Illuminaire" from the Ideas pool... (though it shifted a bit in my head and It's now called "Nightbringer (Saga)" XD I'm saving it it when I have time and focus for it... I have a lot of things to make up for this year)... but yeah I always had an Idea of "shining battle Ideas of epic proportions"... and when I look at it I just go "DAMN!! THIS IS KINDA WHAT I WANTED FOR "MY" GAME!!! T_T" lol

Awww hell... I'll stick to pixel art aprendice for now *laughs*

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#26 Post by Vatina »

I have actually wanted to do something with battles like in BMW or Disgaea for a while. Unfortunately I'm no programmer :P Oh well, one can always dream...

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#27 Post by Otaku Dash »

Vatina wrote:I have actually wanted to do something with battles like in BMW or Disgaea for a while. Unfortunately I'm no programmer :P Oh well, one can always dream...
I'm a programmer... though a very bad one :oops: :cry: *sobs* Still on the first eyar of uni so yeah... not so good on that department ^^;

I stillwant to create a neat battle system like that for a game of my own one day though ^^

EDIT: On Other news Fate's Fate(Saber) route has been completed sometime ago.... we can only hope for the rest to be translated soon ^^; BTw... I heard Fate/Hollow ataraxia isn't with the same main chara as Fate/Stay Night... has anyone experienced that game before?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by monele »

To me, it's not so much being able to program it than being able to make something to look *that* good ^^;...

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#29 Post by Otaku Dash »

monele wrote:To me, it's not so much being able to program it than being able to make something to look *that* good ^^;...
Yeah I know what you mean... I've been going on with pixel art a while back... one of the only "good" things I made was my avy ^^;

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by Adorya »

Otaku Dash wrote:On Other news Fate's Fate(Saber) route has been completed sometime ago.... we can only hope for the rest to be translated soon ^^; BTw... I heard Fate/Hollow ataraxia isn't with the same main chara as Fate/Stay Night... has anyone experienced that game before?
Technically you follow the same "main character"...storyline wise you don't, but it's already the main spoiler of the game (and it's what that make Nasu really good in term of plotline) ;)