A refreshing section from a EULA, but thoughts on the cloud

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

A refreshing section from a EULA, but thoughts on the cloud

#1 Post by Blue Lemma »

From Adobe:
If you access our Services, you may come across content that you find offensive or upsetting. Your sole remedy is to simply stop viewing the content.
It's so simple, common sense, and direct... yet the kind of attitude that is sorely missing from society today.

On the other hand, they do the old CYA by not letting you:
Share any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, vulgar, lewd, profane, invasive of another’s privacy, or hateful;
(emphasis mine for things that are extremely subjective)

Granted "unlawful" is probably a good thing to avoid, but talk about subjective most of them... With everything in the world these days going to "the cloud", we are increasingly subject to the whims and norms of a handful of corporations that host the services. Those corporations are all about lawyering up and PR-ing their butts and disallowing anything anyone could have a problem with. Not good if you ask me.

Groupthink away, Citizens of the World.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

RotGtIE
Veteran

Re: A refreshing section from a EULA, but thoughts on the cl

#2 Post by RotGtIE »

The thing about vacuums is that they tend to get filled. When the people find that there are no places left in which they can speak freely, they will simply create a space in which to do so once more.

Viva la resistance, I suppose.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#3 Post by curry nochi rice »

la resistance lives on.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Mal-2
Projects: My Virus Girlfriend, A Cracked Mirror, Nekonomicon, Anon and the Monster Maidens
Organization: Paratheoanametamystikhood of Eris Esoteric (POEE)

#4 Post by Mal-2 »

And this, folks, is how you get dens of iniquity like 8chan. Keep tightening the grip on what's allowed, and those such as myself who don't care to filter everything through the "potentially offensive" checker will flee to somewhere we can just be ourselves. That's not to say I go out of my way to offend people without reason, but if the situation calls for it, I won't hesitate to tell someone they are pantsu-on-head retarded.