Seven Kingdoms [GxB/G] [Fantasy, Politics, Rom] (Greenlit)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

Re: ~(DEMO!)~ Seven Kingdoms [GxB/G] [Fantasy, Rom, Politics

#31 Post by Ferdokki »

Omg, this looks AWESOME!!! <(*o*)> Are you releasing it as a commercial product?

Oh, and for the font pictures you posted, I like font 2 the best. Font 3 is very smushed up together and somewhat hard to read, and font 1 is somewhat light.

bellice
Veteran

#32 Post by bellice »

Yep, definitely the second font. It's clean and simple, and much easier to read. Fancy fonts are always nice to look at, but when it comes to reading a lot of text in that font, it just gets difficult. (I mean, I love Edwardian Script, but I sure as hell can't read more than a few words before I want to throw something.)

The new version of the main character's chambers definitely look better. I can actually see what the room looks like now. Before, it seemed to me like it was zoomed in or something...it was hard to make out which line belonged to what object.
Maybe that's the crux of the problem? I remember another background where I couldn't tell what it was...it kind of looked like it was supposed to be a guy sitting at a table...? Some kind of dinner thing? (I'm going by memory here, forgive me.)

ColaCat
Veteran

#33 Post by ColaCat »

Yeah, font two is much better.

The room background is good! The one thing I will say is this: make sure it isn't too dark. That's one of the things that I didn't like too much - the dense, heavy atmosphere because of all the darkness. Even using those newer backgrounds - it still looks a little...intense. You might want to lighten it up a little.
One background that I really didn't like was the one of the horse. But that might just be me.
I think a kickstarter would be a good idea, and with the amount of characters and the detailed plot you have it should be flying. That might give you more of a budget to be able to get some backgrounds and stuff.

I look forward to the newer version. I really love the plot of this game, but I just feel it needs to be lighter - and easier to read (the selection of what you want to do, for example).

Doomzilla
Regular
Tumblr: punchysporkk

#34 Post by Doomzilla »

What backgrounds did you unlock your first playthrough? Which did you pick?
-The daughter of a notorious pirate, a minor noble with a scholarly bent, and a court lady skilled at politics. As for what I chose... why would anyone actually turn down the chance to be a pirate?

Did you have any success getting invitations your first try?
-I did! Hamin, Zarad, Penelope, Cordelia, Anaele, and Lisle

What characters are you liking?
-Hamin, Zarad, Anaele, Jarrod, Jasper, Lyon, Penelope, Clarmont.... you know, maybe it'd be quicker to list the ones I liked least. Although even my least favorites were very interesting. Avalie is one that I don't know if I like, but I am intensely interested in knowing more about.

How are the Challenges and the hosting events? Are you having any luck getting great success/perfect success? Or is it too hard? Has anyone been able to get a perfect success hosting a tea the first week?
-I got a lot of great successes my first time. I would say the difficulty is pretty perfect. It's easy enough to do well that I don't feel too frustrated, but hard enough that I still feel challenged. No perfect successes yet, but I haven't focused too much on that yet.

This game is a major time sink for me, in the best possible way. It's been hard for me to sit here writing about it because I've thought of half a dozen things I suddenly want to try. I am shocked at how invested I am in all my PCs. They are much more fleshed out than I was expecting with so many possible backstories. It does remind me of LLTQ a bit, even though it is very different. It just has that "you're going to fail hard and often, and you're going to love it" thing going for it. Although with yours its more like "these people like you, but s/he thinks you suck." My only real complaint so far is that it ends! :cry: I can't wait to see more, and if you guys do a kickstarter or preorders to help fund it, I'm in.

And now for my spoilertastic questions. Tips and hints are most definitely welcome!
-Can anyone besides Hamin save you at the end?
-Is it even possible to save yourself?
-Is it possible to successfully go out with Zarad?
-Are all the achievements available in the demo?
If you'd like me to babble at greater length about what I enjoyed, I'd be happy to do so. I just didn't want to hit you with a wall of squee. ^^

*Edited to add something that is actually constructive: One thing that bothered me was that the skill bars don't all line up. It made it a little difficult to keep track of changes. Also during the introduction party I was so lost trying to figure out who I wanted to talk to without being able to see them. After playing through a few times it was fine, but that first time I had to consult your website for help.
Last edited by Doomzilla on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erikka
Regular

#35 Post by Erikka »

Amazing game! AMAZING! I adore the characters you've created! You are very very talented. I can't wait to play the finished game)) I will stalk this project.

1. What backgrounds did you unlock your first playthrough? Which did you pick?

A court lady skilled at politics and a minor noble with a scholarly bent)

2. Did you have any success getting invitations your first try?

Yes) I got invitations from Ana, Prince Zarad, Gisette, Earl Emmet.

3. What characters are you liking?

I think most of the characters are well done but the most I liked were Prince Jarrod and Duke Lyon!... I also liked the flirtatious personality of Prince Zalad... and maybe also Hamin but I'm still not sure.

Prince Jarrod is really my number one! He is interesting, sexy and "out of the league". I was really intrigued by his rebellious, arrogant and brutal behavior. I want to thank you for creating such a marvelous character as Jarrod. :D

4. How are the Challenges and the hosting events? Are you having any luck getting great success/perfect success? Or is it too hard? Has anyone been able to get a perfect success hosting a tea the first week?

I've got some success in that. I did well but not a perfect success. Another problem was that many guests refused to come.

The demo was great. My only complaint is that the font was very hard to read. And if somebody is not a native English speaker(like me) it's sometimes a challenge to understand what is written. I would recommend you to change the font of the game to a simpler one.

Oh, another thing - I couldn't understand where was possible to check heroine's skills?

Thank you again for creating this beautiful game) I wish you lots of luck with your project :mrgreen:
Last edited by Erikka on Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

Erikka
Regular

#36 Post by Erikka »

I just saw your propositions about the font. I think font №2 would be perfect!)

alylt
Regular
Projects: Seven Kingdoms: The Princess Problem
Organization: Azalyne Studios
Tumblr: azalynestudios
Deviantart: alylt

#37 Post by alylt »

Hi Ferdokki!

I super do wish I could release this game for free, however the only way to be able to afford to keep making games (which I want to do!) is to release it commercially. I haven't settled on a price, but I am considering between 10-20 USD, so hopefully affordable! That being said, the final demo will be longer than most games, free or paid, and will be free for everyone to download (it doesn't even end on a cliffhanger!)

Bellice-
You are probably talking about the servants quarters? That one is kind of blurry on purpose. The art only kinda sorta fits what I needed it to be, so I made it kind of mysterious looking so you couldn't tell. Hahaha.

Colacat- I'll lighten the new ones up for you :)

Doomzilla wrote:
-Can anyone besides Hamin save you at the end?
-Is it even possible to save yourself?
-Is it possible to successfully go out with Zarad?
-Are all the achievements available in the demo?
1 - Yes!
hint:
See answer 3!
2- Absolutely yes! But not easy
hint:
Right up until the end you see a lot of checks, right? If you aren't passing them, it will tell you, like Poise Failure. You have to pass most of the checks to save yourself, but the most important is your defensive instincts skill
3- Yes! He actually has one of the longest events even
hint:
Are you getting the invitation? If you aren't, you aren't picking the right answers in the first conversation. (Hint: Zarad likes spunky women) If you are but are getting the fail end of his event, you don't have enough political savvy and interpersonal insight. You can tell by if you are successful in dealing with Avalie or not)
4- Yes! All the achievements in the demo are able to be gotten in the demo. (There's already 40 more waiting to be added in as the demo gets longer) But some of the achievements are for different results of the same event!

p.s. It *IS* possible to make everyone like you.
(Except Blain, you can only make him hate you less)
Your social calendar will be booked though~
If you'd like me to babble at greater length about what I enjoyed, I'd be happy to do so. I just didn't want to hit you with a wall of squee. ^^
I don't think you are going to find a writer anywhere who will turn down a wall of squee about something they made. It would totally make my week to read one. (No pressure!)

Erikka-

No worries! A new font is on the way and should be out later today! (Actually font options, because I figured out how to do that yesterday, go go bad coding skills! (aka finding someones code that works and adapting it)

As for guests refusing your invitations, there are two important factors to remember, how much do they like you and what are you inviting them to. Some characters may think you are awesome, but would refuse to attend certain events if their life depended on it.

For example:
You will never, ever see Duke Lyon at a social tea.

Doomzilla
Regular

#38 Post by Doomzilla »

Ha! Okay, after I get Zarad and a different ending, I will be back and gush about all the characters and things. I have to make sure that my squeeing is thorough. >.>

alylt
Regular

#39 Post by alylt »

Hello everyone, thanks to all your hard work and suggestions Demo v1.1 is now out! http://sevenkingdomsgame.wordpress.com/demo/

Changes are:
- added more fonts and the option to change fonts in the preferences/options menu (Default font is now the large font!)

- Changed some of the backgrounds to be less distracting/easier on the eyes

- spaced out the intro for easier reading

- fixed some text so descriptions now fit the sprite

Thanks again all you awesome peoples!

Please let me know if you have any more feedback!

edit
OMG Erikka I just realized I totally missed your question about checking skills. I AM SO SORRY! I don't know how I missed that!

The answer is Yes! There's a little button on the top left of the screen called 'your page' clicking on it will take you to the your page screen, where you can check your relationships, your stats, your reputation and your journal.

Its mentioned in the intro, but I added in a part talking about the button in todays update. Although now that I think of it...I think I might have said it was on the top right. *shame*
Clearly my brain is done for the day.

Sorry again!

tantivy
Regular

#40 Post by tantivy »

Hi! Here’s my response after playing through the original version of your demo once:

I unlocked:
A minor lady with a scholarly bent
A court lady skilled at politics --> This is the one I chose.
The daughter of a notorious pirate

Yes, I got invitations from Princess Anaele, Earl Emmett, Prince Lisle, and Hamin.

All of them! I love Penelope because she’s so sweet. The guys I’m most interested in pursuing right now are Lord Clarmont, Prince Lisle, and ‘Prince’ Hamin. Jarrod is intriguing, too, since he is the one I feel I least understand or know how to respond to. There are several characters that I haven't got the chance to interact with much after one playthrough, so I am looking forward to learning more about them too. Ah—I just remembered the matchmaker. She’s probably my least favorite for the time being because she gave me quite the tongue-lashing! ;) But it’s good to have such different character personalities. Altogether, your characters are fascinating and well-written.

How are the Challenges and the hosting events? Are you having any luck getting great success/perfect success? Or is it too hard? Has anyone been able to get a perfect success hosting a tea the first week?
In my first playthrough I failed at most skill checks. My meeting with the matchmaker got me the “Unmitigated Disaster” achievement. However I did have a couple of successes. I hosted a tea and afterwards it said, “Your tea went well. You are a skilled hostess.” So that could have been worse. In the formal introduction challenge, I got a “great success.” So, I guess from my point of view the difficulty is just right.

To me, your game is really refreshing and I love basically everything about it. I really like the complexity of the world you've created. I also enjoyed the dreamy/fantasy feel of the backgrounds. I don’t think I have any criticism on the story or characters, but I did notice some typos and a bug that I’ll probably post about in the demo thread.

Congratulations on your demo release and your progress in creating the game! I would love to buy this when it’s released. It’s very impressive and enjoyable.

alylt
Regular

#41 Post by alylt »

Thank you so much tantivy! I really appreciate it!

Please do let me know about the bug and typos if you have the time. I want them all keeled dead. :)

p.s. don't feel bad about the Matchmaker. She is literally impossible to please the first time you meet her ;)

Oh, and I feel like I should clarify, no character can pass ALL the skill checks, it's literally impossible. You just can't have that many skills that high. So don't feel bad if you fail at things! It's going to happen. It's only the big challenges that are important to do well at :)

Erikka
Regular

#42 Post by Erikka »

alylt wrote:Hello everyone, thanks to all your hard work and suggestions Demo v1.1 is now out! http://sevenkingdomsgame.wordpress.com/demo/

Changes are:
- added more fonts and the option to change fonts in the preferences/options menu (Default font is now the large font!)

- Changed some of the backgrounds to be less distracting/easier on the eyes

- spaced out the intro for easier reading

- fixed some text so descriptions now fit the sprite

Thanks again all you awesome peoples!

Please let me know if you have any more feedback!

edit
OMG Erikka I just realized I totally missed your question about checking skills. I AM SO SORRY! I don't know how I missed that!

The answer is Yes! There's a little button on the top left of the screen called 'your page' clicking on it will take you to the your page screen, where you can check your relationships, your stats, your reputation and your journal.

Its mentioned in the intro, but I added in a part talking about the button in todays update. Although now that I think of it...I think I might have said it was on the top right. *shame*
Clearly my brain is done for the day.

Sorry again!

Thank you for your reply. You've missed my question because I had edited my comment) :wink: I've added some sentences in it)
Next time I play the game I will try to find this button!

One more question: in the first week of the game is it even possible that Jarrod agrees to my invitation? I've tried to host all kind of events but he always refused to visit. And I like him so much :cry:

CatyCats
Regular

#43 Post by CatyCats »

I played the demo and I must say, It is a truly awesome game!
And allllll the guys <3
And so much choices <3
Oh but the only thing is: The lettertype. The choices were hard to read with the purple background.

riri_near

#44 Post by riri_near »

Hollaaa alylt! I loovvee this project of yours, really! :D

I unlocked all three backgrounds (scholarly, court lady and pirate) and I choose the scholarly background (umm... actually I kind of pick it unintentionally, I was half-asleep and didn't know what exactly was going on :oops: )

Yes! I got invitations from Princess Anaele, Prince Hamin, Prince Zarad, Prince Jarrod, and Earl Emmet.

Almost all of them! :D Though I don't really like Ria (dunno why, she's nice and sweet, but I just can't get myself to like her :? ) and The Matchmaker obviously (I was distressed by her, really. And it's not even in real world).
Prince Jarrod was my number one favorite! he was umm... quiet challenging! and I love challenge y'know.
The second was Lord Clarmont, though I finally earn his friendship point after my third attempt.
And then Hamin, Emmet (he IS so cutee >.<) Anaele (in real life she would most likely become my buddy-buddy) and many more... your characters were great!

Well, I got 'average hostess' in my first attempt. But then I got some successes in the following playthrough. I think it isn't that hard, it is perfect difficulty.

As I said earlier, I truly love this game. I love how you write your character's backstory, you put so much thought into it. You made all of your characters important on their own way. I like the art, it's gorgeous! Regard my compliment to your artist :D
The main complaints were the font and that purple background. But anywayy, I agree to people above me about the font, I also like font 2. Oh and another thing, aside from that font matter, I think you put too many words on the textbox, I had a little difficulty to read them 'cause I think it was rather cramped. Or maybe it was just my bad eyesight :roll: hehehe
(anyway, excuse my poor English T.T)

Good luck with your project, and I am looking forward to its release! :D

Doomzilla
Regular

#45 Post by Doomzilla »

One wall, as promised! I am kind of enthusiastic. You might have noticed. :oops: I am just going to spoiler this whole thing so I don't have to worry about giving away anything. You've been warned people!
So I am entirely in love with Zarad now. That verbal jousting thing? Perfect. I love that with him I can be my actual irl self. I'm a bit on the excessively snarky side for most otome games, so MAJOR points for giving me the option to be me. I seriously can't fangirl enough over him. It's exactly what amuses me the most. I'm... I'm not really sure how many different ways I can come up with to tell you that something is perfect for me. Suffice it to say, I enjoyed his route to the hilt and can't wait to see what is next. And when he saved me!!! And he and Hamin had their tug of war! GAH! Swoon and whatnot!

Prince Hamin. Oh man, he is just super fun. Every moment he's on screen I have a giant grin on my face. I was pretty sure he was my favorite until I managed (with your help) to fully win over Zarad. Even so, Hamin is a very close second. He's a blast. He just... makes me happy. I will have a VERY difficult time picking between the two of them in the final game.

Princess Penelope. Can I adopt her? She is ridiculously adorable. I love that you gave me the option to threaten to kidnap her cause I wasn't joking haha. I was surprised to so totally adore a non romanceable character in an otome game. She's just.. gah! I am totally prepared to maul anyone who so much as wishes her ill in game. I have no strong feelings about Lisle yet. He clearly loves Penelope, so he can't be all bad. ^^

I mentioned her before, but Avalie utterly intrigues me. I haven't figured out her game yet, which makes her ultra interesting to me. Don't spoil me! Figuring her out is hugely entertaining.

Princess Anaele. Oh, Ana. I've never felt more gay. I had no idea I had a thing for barbarians, but it's good to know. :lol: I love inviting her to my musicales, and I love that she has most of the swoon worthy lines (as far as I'm concerned). I'm a little upset that she can't rescue me from the horrible cliff/horse problem. She seems perfect for the role.

Duke Lyon is one that I forgot to ask you about before. I am guessing that I need only be super intelligent? I find him intriguing, but he's so reserved that I nearly forgot him in my Zarad/Hamin fangirling madness. He has an invite event, right? I think he's the only one I haven't gotten yet. I will have to rectify that shortly.

Lord Clarmont is tricksy. I am not sure what it going on with him, and he's not my usual type, but he is super charming. He's adorable with a sassy lady pirate (omg the goat story, I laughed so hard that I cried XD). He needs some fun.

Jarrod! How did I almost miss someone so forceful?? He's another that hugely intrigues me... even though he's a jerk. As long as I get to keep scolding him, I'm happy. That dynamic is really fun. His sister both annoys and concerns me though. I find him easier to manipulate so far. I just cant seem to lie to Gisette. I got Jarrod to crew my ship and it was the most satisfying moment, ha!

Earl Emmet is totally not at all my type... and yet I find him appealing and even a bit charming. He's just so sweet and open. He's like a breath of fresh air amongst the others. He's so kind and charming that I find him almost suspicious...

Last but not least, Jasper. Is Jasper a thing? Tell me Jasper is a thing. He's way too pretty not to be a thing, right? I love his interactions with my character when I manage to surprise or amuse him, and I love how protective he is. I am so suspicious of him though. I caught that bit in the library and now I've got my eye on him. I feel like (assuming he's a thing) his route may be the most interesting of them all.

Lord Blain is the best antagonist so far. I hope he remains inept because I really enjoy his ridiculously catty behavior. I did manage to make him like me more, but it didn't seem to do anything in the demo.

Phew! I think I've mentioned all my favorite people.

I love the character background options! I still haven't played through with a couple of them, but I'll surely fix that soon. You may have guessed I'm stuck on Lady Pirate. She's just so so perfect. I keep modelling her after Isabela from DA2. The saddest thing about where the demo ended was that I didn't get to do the boat race! In my favorite playthrough I have Hamin, Zarad, Jarrod, and Ana on my crew. It's gonna be a disaster ahaha! I will be shocked if Jarrod doesn't start a fight with someone. I figure we'll actually win (cause haha, I stole all the leader types!) but someone will get tossed overboard. Probably Jarrod. By Ana. My heroine <3

I got a perfect introduction! But I'm afraid it might have bugged. I figured that I had to pass all the speech checks, but I failed the relevant fact one. Is that one just less important? I also got a perfect musicale! Take that, Jarrod! You will listen to music and you will like it! (I really enjoy antagonizing him lol.)
You had my attention from the moment you waved "inspired by Dragon Age" around, but I have to say that I am seriously impressed that you pulled it off so well. It really did remind me of the Landsmeet (or rather what I wish the Landsmeet had been). And you made it so FUN. I've gotten more hours of amusement out of your demo than I've gotten out of many finished games. I love that I had to think and plan and that it felt like a real game rather than just a story. The replay value is through the roof.

Okay, I think maybe I've babbled enough! Unless I haven't. In which case don't be surprised if I edit this with additional squee or just start babbling at you on tumblr (I'm punchysporkk there btw). Congrats and well done!