Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
lockpicklogic
Regular

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4516 Post by lockpicklogic »

If you've ever had to hold polite conversation with an arrogant, assuming, ignorant member of the human race while they continuously insult your beliefs and lifestyle, you can probably empathise with the desire to quote Harlan Ellison: “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” or say something along the lines of "Okay, I'll respect your opinion, if you show some respect for mine!"

Argh! The frustration!
*Sigh* I'm sure I'll be over it soon, but when it's someone you respect and it's personal, it really hurts... *Sigh*
Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.
-- Clementine Paddelford --

Akai85
Regular
Projects: Dawn of the Humans(WWIP), The Diamond Man(WWIP)
Organization: ermineSt.
Deviantart: ermineSt.

#4517 Post by Akai85 »

lockpicklogic wrote:If you've ever had to hold polite conversation with an arrogant, assuming, ignorant member of the human race while they continuously insult your beliefs and lifestyle, you can probably empathise with the desire to quote Harlan Ellison: “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” or say something along the lines of "Okay, I'll respect your opinion, if you show some respect for mine!"

Argh! The frustration!
*Sigh* I'm sure I'll be over it soon, but when it's someone you respect and it's personal, it really hurts... *Sigh*
Some people just can't be reasoned with. I have some friends who are extremely homophobic and despite proving things to them through rational discussion and factual evidence repeatedly they don't change. Now I just cut them off if they try saying anything anti-lgbtiq or anything else offensive. :roll:
I did nothing. And still I rise.
And still I rise.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#4518 Post by Caveat Lector »

Christine Cavanaugh died.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-chris ... kie-213368

I knew her as Babe and Chuckie. Damn, 2014 has not been a good year for a lot of celebrities... :cry:
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

michan
Regular
Projects: The Witch's Tomb (wip), Caraltian Cookoff (wip), Detective Cross (wip)

#4519 Post by michan »

... So I might have lost a friend over... chocolate. Or me being an insensitive ass.

And even though it's all my fault, I still think it's stupid. I'm sorry that I hurt his feelings, but I'm sorry that I can't feel sorry enough. We've known each other for more than half of our lives, and if this is all it takes to drive us apart, then... tough.

I hate me.
Coming SoonSometime Next Year! ^^
Detective Cross & the Raven Hall Riddles (DEMO OUT!)
Image Image

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#4520 Post by Rinima »

I'm kinda sad about the Dischan news :( (those who don't know: https://dischan.co/blog/2015/01/the-end ... l-systems/ )
At least their giving refunds I guess..... :(
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

LinovaA

#4521 Post by LinovaA »

I am a major hypochondriac, and my main thing right now is the random pains you feel throughout your body on a regular basis. I have been having this pain in my chest on FAR left side (I was convinced it was a heart attack when it first showed up) for the passed like... 3 days, but I am not sure if it my hypochondria acting up, or if there is actually something wrong. I really wish I wasn't so concerned over these little things, as this happens all the bloody time, but I just can't seem to get over this crazy health anxiety I have going on.

Akai85
Regular
Projects: Dawn of the Humans(WWIP), The Diamond Man(WWIP)
Organization: ermineSt.
Deviantart: ermineSt.

#4522 Post by Akai85 »

LinovaA wrote:I am a major hypochondriac, and my main thing right now is the random pains you feel throughout your body on a regular basis. I have been having this pain in my chest on FAR left side (I was convinced it was a heart attack when it first showed up) for the passed like... 3 days, but I am not sure if it my hypochondria acting up, or if there is actually something wrong. I really wish I wasn't so concerned over these little things, as this happens all the bloody time, but I just can't seem to get over this crazy health anxiety I have going on.
I have those too and I always figured it was some kind of lung problem. I'm actually surprised I'm not the only one!
I did nothing. And still I rise.
And still I rise.

LinovaA

#4523 Post by LinovaA »

Akai85 wrote:
LinovaA wrote:I am a major hypochondriac, and my main thing right now is the random pains you feel throughout your body on a regular basis. I have been having this pain in my chest on FAR left side (I was convinced it was a heart attack when it first showed up) for the passed like... 3 days, but I am not sure if it my hypochondria acting up, or if there is actually something wrong. I really wish I wasn't so concerned over these little things, as this happens all the bloody time, but I just can't seem to get over this crazy health anxiety I have going on.
I have those too and I always figured it was some kind of lung problem. I'm actually surprised I'm not the only one!

Nope, you are not the only one. I think if I went out and exercised more, I would feel better about my health. I should probably do that.... tomorrow. :p

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#4524 Post by Didules »

Journalists, cartoonists and Policemen got shot in Paris. This is a sad day, when people start shooting at people because they don't agree with everything that is being said in a newspaper. Really a sad day. Take care of yourselves.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#4525 Post by curry nochi rice »

Didules wrote:Journalists, cartoonists and Policemen got shot in Paris. This is a sad day, when people start shooting at people because they don't agree with everything that is being said in a newspaper. Really a sad day. Take care of yourselves.
Liberté, égalité, fraternité

That aside I miss my article-writing work concerning transcripts of conspiracy theories, you know, general UFO/Paranormal stuff.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

lockpicklogic
Regular

#4526 Post by lockpicklogic »

Akai85 wrote:
lockpicklogic wrote:If you've ever had to hold polite conversation with an arrogant, assuming, ignorant member of the human race while they continuously insult your beliefs and lifestyle, you can probably empathise with the desire to quote Harlan Ellison: “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” or say something along the lines of "Okay, I'll respect your opinion, if you show some respect for mine!"

Argh! The frustration!
Some people just can't be reasoned with. I have some friends who are extremely homophobic and despite proving things to them through rational discussion and factual evidence repeatedly they don't change. Now I just cut them off if they try saying anything anti-lgbtiq or anything else offensive. :roll:
Yeah, I do that when I'm aware of where the conversation is heading... but when I'm not it takes a few moments to realise that I'm having the same conversation again... :roll:
Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.
-- Clementine Paddelford --

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#4527 Post by Morhighan »

The other day, I wanted to work on my project but I recognized that, while running a high fever, this was not a good idea. So I made a simple survey to gauge interest and see if anyone was actually following my game. Innocent enough, right?

One of the questions was "There are two main characters, should they both be playable?" and I gave a few options. However, I guess my wording wasn't good enough, so someone commented...
you don't have a general comment field so I will just say it here. Your "should the two main character's be playable" question has three options: Yes, Yes, and Yes. What if I thought you should only have one playable main character? If that's not even an option, why include such a question at all? I am not sure I'll have confidence in the writing quality of the game itself if the survey questions are phrased so poorly.
I have now edited the survey to say "There are two main characters, in which way should they both be playable?" and added a fourth option for only one character to be playable.

I still feel stupid, though. One little mistake made my game quality apparently plummet, or so it feels.

Normally I wouldn't really care if someone said that, I'd have the attitude of "my writing will prove itself." But lately I've been dealing with a lot of depression and anxiety due to a lot of stressors in my life, so that comment planted another doubt in my mind. I used to have confidence in my writing, and it showed. After the last few years though, my writing voice has gotten so meek that I no longer can gauge if my writing is good at all.

Anyway, my main point is that I wish people could articulate dissent without being so harsh about it. I know I probably need a thicker skin, but there are many different ways to word things.
So, I made a mistake. I agree, I could have worded the survey differently. I could have posted it after editing and fine-tuning it when I wasn't feverish. But, anonymous writer, you could have worded your comment differently as well. I know you probably don't care about me being butthurt, but you should realize that your words have an impact. If I'm somehow misinterpreting the meaning, that's okay and also irrelevant, as the feeling based on my interpretation will likely remain.

On a side note:
I recently discovered that I suffer from something I've heard called "imposter syndrome," where I basically cannot/will not accept that I have achieved anything or deserve to be paid/praise/feel good for anything that I have accomplished. With the self doubt, anxiety, and depression, my creativity is stifled.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#4528 Post by Applegate »

Normally I wouldn't really care if someone said that, I'd have the attitude of "my writing will prove itself." But lately I've been dealing with a lot of depression and anxiety due to a lot of stressors in my life, so that comment planted another doubt in my mind. I used to have confidence in my writing, and it showed. After the last few years though, my writing voice has gotten so meek that I no longer can gauge if my writing is good at all.
Regardless of whether your writing is good or not, I wouldn't worry about it due to this person's comment. The phrasing of a survey question isn't so intrinsically connected to writing prose that one is an indicator for the other's quality.

Thinking your writing is shit is a good place to be. It means you're going to improve. Every writer has a phase or twenty where they think their work is irredeemable crap.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#4529 Post by Morhighan »

So my doctor thinks that I have Lupus--which sucks, but I'd love to agree. My lab tests, however, say I'm healthy as I can get--which is obviously not true, since it appears that my immune system is attacking my entire body because it thinks it's an intruder.

It was after a few "Super Healthy" test results that my doctor got concerned. Upon reviewing my symptoms, he got visibly upset, and said that he would like to treat me for Lupus Cerebritis as a precaution. Treatment apparently involves steroids, which are supposed to make my swelling go down. I've been pretty optimistic. That is, until I did more research into Cerebritis.

As it turns out, Cerebritis is really difficult to diagnose. Lupus is considered to be the "great imitator" and is hard to distinguish from other illnesses, and Lupus Cerebritis is no exception. In basic terms, Cerebritis is a brain infection that can lead to the formation of abscesses--you know, a collection of pus. In my brain. Which can cause necrosis. So my brain might actually rot.

I can now understand why my doctor was upset, because I sure am upset just reading about it. While some effects can be short-lived, Cerebritis can also cause permanent neurological damage and even death.

Lupus has no cure. This is something I've accepted. Lupus Cerebritis can be managed and treated by suppressing autoimmune activity. This is also something I've been able to accept.

Along with the "run-of-the-mill" Lupus symptoms, we noticed that I have had very strong issues with memory loss, severe depression and anxiety, and headaches. Those are all mild symptoms of Cerebritis. I also have vision problems, dizziness, and hallucinations, which are the "medium" point symptoms.
However, now that my left arm and hand have stopped working on several occasions, I'm pretty worried. "Cerebellar Ataxia" is the failure of muscle coordination, usually on one side of the body. It, along with nerve issues, which I clearly have, are considered to be severe symptoms.

I am now making sure that I am monitored closely as much as possible, because at this rate, judging by my symptoms, I could have a seizure or a stroke at any moment. And that's pretty scary.

I'm going to try to deal with it calmly, but my the earliest I can see my doctor is on February 6, and we've been trying to start my steroid treatment since November. I really hope there aren't any other delays, because I'm pretty scared.

MoonStar
Regular
Projects: Yggdrasil

#4530 Post by MoonStar »

Morhighan

Ok....now you scared the shit out of me also since most of those symptoms apply to me also except for hallucinations. All the rest apply can you tell me here or in a pm where and how one should ask to get checked?