Beneath Your Surface (GxB)(School Life)(Romance)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

Beneath Your Surface (GxB)(School Life)(Romance)

#1 Post by Sayumi101 »

Genre- GxB, Romance, School Life, Friendship
(A/N: Just a smaller project using online assets and resources so that I can get geared up for my (hopefully) longer game to be)
Optimistic release date- End of December/Beginning of January
Plot
Yuuna(name changeable) had always thought herself to be a reserved person- not in that she was quiet or shy but because she just wasn't good at being her usual self in front of other people. Because of this, the only people whom she regularly interacts with are the members of their school's literature club. They didn't have any unbreakable bond forged on deep understanding or unshakable faith in one another,but when she was there she felt like she belonged.... and maybe it was the same for them to some extent. But what happens when the school decides to shut down the literature club because there were only three members and they weren't doing anything 'productive'? In a desperate final attempt, the club president manages to make a wager with the principal: that they-the three of them- would produce a school newspaper by the end of the month.
And now, the race is on to get a mildly interesting newspaper out in two weeks' time and get at least 500 votes from the student body lest their club be dissolved. How exactly is Yuuna to pull this off partnered with an overly excitable self-proclaimed leader who can't sit still for 10 minutes,a sweet/sour guy who hates doing anything too troublesome and absolutely no access to a printing press? And for some reason Yuuna keeps bumping into the school's most notorious ex-basketball-player delinquent...and for some reason weirder still, their president thinks that he might make for an interesting story subject.

Characters
Yuuna

Momoka
A very chirpy and excitable girl who has a widely recognized knack of getting her way. In her first year, she took it upon herself to revive the school's literature club despite being just a newcomer. She has a very strong sense of justice, has a tendency to be pushy and overreacts at the strangest things.

Rio
A rather short boy with flashily coloured hair. Endeared as 'Rio-chan', he is more or less hailed as a "sweet and innocent cute-y" by the entirety of the female populace. In reality, he is a rather sarcastic person who hates doing troublesome stuff and this real self only comes to surface when he's within the club walls.

Ozuma
A very serious person who has a no-nonsense air all about him. He is tough and sturdy but as Yuuna observes, he looks nothing like what one would expect a delinquent to be. He is feared by the majority of the populace and people tend to steer clear of him. He doesn't look the least bit interested in human interaction, either.

Progress:
Sprites: Females-Tokudaya Males-Elzee (100%)
Backgrounds- 50% (will add credits soon)
Music- Josh Woodward, Kevin Macleod (100%)
Writing&Scripting: W.I.P (50-60%)
GUI&Logo- 100%

Updated Start Screen:

Feed Back Questionnaire
1. Is the title okay? Can I have suggestions for alternate ones? (It doesn't have to be similar to this one)
2. Does the plot look interesting enough that you'd consider downloading AND playing it?
3. Are the sprites off-putting (since they've probably been used loads before?)
4. Would you be interested in having Rio as an obtainable character? (Don't know if I'll actually implement that)

Thank you so much for reading. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how this sounds as an overall game.
Sayumi out!~

Progressing now:
Text Box Done
Got upto 6,000 words
Finalized Title
Logo Done
Hired CG Artist
Tweaked Main Screen and Sub Screen

GUI Completed (Took forever)

Last edited by Sayumi101 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:03 am, edited 7 times in total.
ImageImageImage

Sayumi101
Veteran

Re: Beneath Your Surface(Title may change)(GxB,Romance)

#2 Post by Sayumi101 »

Update:

Added the start screen GUI.
More progress on writing, Current Status about 2,8000 words.
ImageImageImage

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer
Organization: Moonlight Avenue, Inc.; Anomalis

#3 Post by Laera-chan »

*whistles* Nooooo, I'm not stalking your games or anything like that. What gave you that idea? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, this sounds cute. Totally bookmarking this to watch for while I wait for your other game! :lol: *pulls chair and DS out of nowhere to wait impatiently eagerly pathetically excitedly patiently for both games*

Edit:

1. Is the title okay? Can I have suggestions for alternate ones? (It doesn't have to be similar to this one)
2. Does the plot look interesting enough that you'd consider downloading AND playing it?
4. Would you be interested in having Rio as an obtainable character? (Don't know if I'll actually implement that)

1. Yes, the titles fine to me. If you need suggestions... Hrm... 'The Journalistic Activities of the *insert school name here* Literature Club'. :lol: Kidding, kidding. Honestly, I think the current title is great.
2. That would be a big HECK YES! for me. :wink:
3. Nope. The only one that seems even vaguely familiar to me is Yuuna's, but I'm not sure how. Anyways, they're great! I especially love Mr. Delinquent. :oops:
4. And yes! Sweet nice guy in public but a gruff, sarcastic dude in private? Can we say Tsundere? Or is that Mr. Delinquent's role? I love Tsundere's though, so having two options is great. 8)

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#4 Post by AsHLeX »

Good luck!! It sounds interesting!~
Yes, I would DL and play it.
No, the sprites aren't really off-putting, I've never seen the girl's before.
I think the title is good - can't think of any suggestions >o<
Yeah, it would be interesting to see Rio >w<
New demo out 24/12/23!!

殺す/Kurosu~❆

#5 Post by 殺す/Kurosu~❆ »

HOLY SHMIZ. I SWEAR YOUR STORY PLOTS ARE MY FAVORITE SLICE OF LIFE STORIES. (*≧∀≦*) Don't mind me I'm fangirling. //slaps.

Yes, it's okay to me! I mean if I was thinking of a title for my story I wouldn't have thought of it. (I suck at titles.)

Of course, even looking forward to your other games. *u*

Nope, not at all! Makes me fangirl even harder. Dem bishies. ((*uεu*))

Of course! I love sarcastic bishies, (even sadistic bishies, I am an M after all. //kicks.) His looks are in between cute and hot! @0@ I cannot wait!

That's all I can say, for now. Later~ //Teleports into the planet of farts.

Sayumi101
Veteran

#6 Post by Sayumi101 »

Laera-chan wrote:*whistles* Nooooo, I'm not stalking your games or anything like that. What gave you that idea? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, this sounds cute. Totally bookmarking this to watch for while I wait for your other game! :lol: *pulls chair and DS out of nowhere to wait impatiently eagerly pathetically excitedly patiently for both games*
Awww, it's you again! *hands cookies* Project followers are bribed with get virtual cookies. ^0^
And I'm happy that this seems interesting enough for you to bookmark since this was a game idea that just popped out of nowhere.
Laera-chan wrote: 1. Yes, the titles fine to me. If you need suggestions... Hrm... 'The Journalistic Activities of the *insert school name here* Literature Club'. :lol: Kidding, kidding. Honestly, I think the current title is great.
4. And yes! Sweet nice guy in public but a gruff, sarcastic dude in private? Can we say Tsundere? Or is that Mr. Delinquent's role? I love Tsundere's though, so having two options is great. )
Hehe, that title is awesome! Never thought of something like that in like ever XD. I just thought the current one seemed too serious, maybe? Or a bit weird... But in the end, I'm going to keep it as it is since this stupid brain won't work.

I'm glad Mr.Delinquent seems loveable to you as well<3 When I first saw that sprite I was like 'You! Totally HAVE to use you!' *q* Well, I guess he is kind of Tsundere :3 Rio-chan is basically the sweet&sour personality. This was originally just intended to have him in a supporting role, but if things go well maybe he could have a small little side-route(I was thinking XD) And two options are always exciting, I know.

Thank you so much for your support and taking the time to answer, yo (^O^)/
Last edited by Sayumi101 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Sayumi101
Veteran

#7 Post by Sayumi101 »

AsHLeX wrote:Good luck!! It sounds interesting!~
Yes, I would DL and play it.
No, the sprites aren't really off-putting, I've never seen the girl's before.
I think the title is good - can't think of any suggestions >o<
Yeah, it would be interesting to see Rio >w<
Ah, thank you. I'm really glad it seems interesting and people don't seem to have seen ALL of those sprites somewhere before :) One more vote for Rio-chan, huh? If things go well enough I'll add him a smaller route (though not sure if that'll really happen) *factors it in*
Thanks for supporting and taking the time to reply! ^^
ImageImageImage

Sayumi101
Veteran

#8 Post by Sayumi101 »

殺す/Kurosu~❆ wrote:HOLY SHMIZ. I SWEAR YOUR STORY PLOTS ARE MY FAVORITE SLICE OF LIFE STORIES. (*≧∀≦*) Don't mind me I'm fangirling. //slaps.

Yes, it's okay to me! I mean if I was thinking of a title for my story I wouldn't have thought of it. (I suck at titles.)

Of course, even looking forward to your other games. *u*

Nope, not at all! Makes me fangirl even harder. Dem bishies. ((*uεu*))

Of course! I love sarcastic bishies, (even sadistic bishies, I am an M after all. //kicks.) His looks are in between cute and hot! @0@ I cannot wait!

That's all I can say, for now. Later~ //Teleports into the planet of farts.
Ah, I'm so glad, I was really wondering how these shoujo manga type, school life related, non-fantasy stories would do and what kind of response they'd get...so it's a HUGE relief that you like them. ^^

Yet another vote for Rio-chan :3 *jots it down* (I guess he is kind of sadistic, indirectly //kicks. ^^ )

Ps-I can related to you when it comes to bishie fangirling XD >///<

Anyways, thank you so mych for taking the time to reply, ^O^/
ImageImageImage

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer
Organization: Moonlight Avenue, Inc.; Anomalis

#9 Post by Laera-chan »

Sayumi101 wrote: Awww, it's you again! *hands cookies* Project followers are bribed with get virtual cookies. ^0^
And I'm happy that this seems interesting enough for you to bookmark since this was a game idea that just popped out of nowhere.

I'm glad Mr.Delinquent seems loveable to you as well<3 When I first saw that sprite I was like 'You! Totally HAVE to use you!' *q* Well, I guess he is kind of Tsundere :3 Rio-chan is basically the sweet&sour personality. This was originally just intended to have him in a supporting role, but if things go well maybe he could have a small little side-route(I was thinking XD) And two options are always exciting, I know.

Thank you so much for your support and taking the time to answer, yo (^O^)/
Yes, it's me! Ooooh! *eats cookies* Cookies! Heh. Hey, I follow for the games, but cookies never hurt anyone unless you're in Achaea and eat a Voyria cookie. :lol: And yes, I actually really like the idea. I have tons of them, and never seem able to implement them. :cry: So anyone who makes something that catches my interest has my full support!

And YUUUUUUUS!!!! Mr. Delinquent is the one I'm going for first (if Rio-chan is a side route). Either way, *looks at Mr. Delinquent* Prepare to be virtually wooed! 8) And yes. Games with multiple routes are awesome. Or if you decide not to have him *begs shamelessly for him* a couple of different endings with my hubby over there *points at Delinquent-kun* will work. Maybe a Best, Good, and Bad ending... Or at least a Good and Bad. That way it's more exciting to players.

Sayumi101
Veteran

#10 Post by Sayumi101 »

Laera-chan wrote: And YUUUUUUUS!!!! Mr. Delinquent is the one I'm going for first (if Rio-chan is a side route). Either way, *looks at Mr. Delinquent* Prepare to be virtually wooed! 8) And yes. Games with multiple routes are awesome. Or if you decide not to have him *begs shamelessly for him* a couple of different endings with my hubby over there *points at Delinquent-kun* will work. Maybe a Best, Good, and Bad ending... Or at least a Good and Bad. That way it's more exciting to players.
Ah of course! There will be multiple endings! Maybe a good, bad and neutral and something else (still in the works) Rio-chan's path is till a question mark for now though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update : LOGO up . HUGE thank you to Yoh-An
ImageImageImage

Universalfiction

Re: Beneath Your Surface (GxB)(School Life)(Romance)

#11 Post by Universalfiction »

I don't get why it's named beneath the surface but I don't see anything wrong with it
Yesssssss I'll download it twice
Nope. People would use the same backgrounds. It's the same thing
Yes. More guys = longer playing time :P

Sayumi101
Veteran

#12 Post by Sayumi101 »

Universalfiction wrote: I don't get why it's named beneath the surface but I don't see anything wrong with it

Yesssssss I'll download it twice

Nope. People would use the same backgrounds. It's the same thing

Yes. More guys = longer playing time :P
Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your kind words (not to mention the offer to download it twice XD <3)
The weird naming was just a random decision... it felt like an okay-ish idea at the time *nervous laughter*
Sorry it took so long to reply.

_____________________________________________________---

Just wanted to pop in and assure everyone (not that I think anyone is concerned as much, lol) that work is progressing. Slowly but surely... The release will happen, eventually.
For now please make do with random extra art.
ImageImageImage

completelyaddicted21

#13 Post by completelyaddicted21 »

It sounds kinda cliche to be honest xD I get why its called that though, since the main character and Rio act differently in the club than outside the club (from what I've read)
DEFINITELY! If there are awesome plot twists and character development I'd definitely play it!
I was a bit skeptical about this VN after seeing the sprites, but it doesn't bother me too much.
YESSSSS! His character is kinda why Im so excited for this vn, I LOVE sarcastic characters.