Cafe Mysteria[Otome][GxB][Butler Cafe][10/16/2015]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
AsHLeX
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

Cafe Mysteria[Otome][GxB][Butler Cafe][10/16/2015]

#1 Post by AsHLeX » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:48 pm

~Cafe Mysteria~
Welcome to Cafe Mysteria, a mysterious cafe that only opens from 21st December to 1st January. Not only is it's sudden appearance a reason for doubt, so are the flashy butlers working inside of it. Dressed in a prestigious school uniform - the player is also given one upon entry - these flashy butlers are a reason for suspicion. Questions about it's origin are discouraged or outright ignored. It's sole purpose? - For the player to have the best time of their life.
The waiters are accommodating, the food is delicious and the drinks are... (to put it in a nice way) exquisite. The waiters that serve you are outright random - no strategy can help you there (except one!). Build your trust with the waiters and get them to like you - or just breeze through the 12 days and let nature take it's course - everything is up to you! On the surface, it's all happy and joyful, but as you go deeper - if you wish - you can uncover each character's backgrounds and secrets as well as get them to like you - or hate you.

~Your character~
FS1-default.png
Heroine
~The butlers~

Fujimoto Haru(藤本春)

The Bubbly Type
MS3-smile5.png
Haru
Ain't you a shy one?~<3
A sweet and bubbly companion with an addiction for <3 and usually uses them in his sentences. Warms up to you easily and isn't very hard to impress. Fun to tease as he gets flustered easily, yet easily forgiving. Inspite of his energetic personality he hides a sad secret underneath. One that is related to his headphones as well as a disturbing past. He calls you by your name.

Yoshida Kyou(吉田協)

The "Senpai" Type
MS2-smile1.png
Kyou
I'm so glad to see you again, milady.
A somewhat smiley companion but with an underlying fear of companionship - a fear of hurting people. Due to that, it's not to easy to break past his shell of fanciful words to his true heart. He tries hard to please everyone due to his disastrous past, hiding his true self in the process. He calls you milady at first but learns to call you by your name later.

Fujioka Shin(藤岡真)

The Prince Type
MS1-smile1.png
Shin
After all, what drink is better suited for a princess?~<3
A friendly person with a sad past. Seems very nice and flirty at first but actually distances himself from people, remaining passive inside - or at least trying to. Your friendly demeanor, however, plants the seeds of doubt in him, making him question his behavior. He likes to talk about his family when he's melodramatic. He calls you by your name, with the suffix '-sama'.

Zhāng Tiān(张天)

The wild type
MS4-default.png
Zhang Tian
欢迎光临! 我叫张天, 今日将为您服务。
The most mysterious of the lot. He only speaks Chinese and refuses to tell you his age. At the beginning, it's hard to communicate with him but once you get it across that you don't speak Chinese you start to bind closer to him. Out of all of them, he's the one with the darkest and most secret past. He calls you by your name or just 'you'. Can unlock to English language.

Features Interactive First-hand game style.
The characters talk to the player as if they were talking directly to you. Player personality is kept to a minimum to make it as realistic as possible and choices are quite a number. Most of the time it's just one-sided talking like "Amnesia(Game)" to give the direct feel. Your companion is random although there is a way(cheat) to get the same bachelor on each visit. You talk to the waiters, get to know them, tease them, have serious talks with them, make them embarrassed (especially Haru), let them walk you home/drive you home, let them take you on Christmas dates, hear their stories (see them draw - maybe?), celebrate Christmas eve with all of them, and possibly uncover their life story before the time is up.

Genre: [Romance] [Mystery] [Otome]
Themes: [Butler Cafe][Christmas][New Year]

(Sprites are credited to Elzee)

Gameplay: Spans across 12 virtual days.

NOTICE: Cafe Mysteria is back and running! Quite a number of changes will be made such as the GUI and new gameplay will be added!
Last edited by AsHLeX on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 28 times in total.

iiStarCandy
Regular
Projects: Bored to Death, Trying to Walk
IRC Nick: Yoh-An
Tumblr: saseum-ssi
Deviantart: yoh-an

Re: Cafe Mysteria [Otome][GxB][Butler Cafe][Christmas][FREE]

#2 Post by iiStarCandy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Ooh, this looks really interesting! :D I really like the characters and the art is beautiful. As for me, I wouldn't really care about the theme being Christmas or New Years or Valentine's as long as the game itself is fun, but I think you should just keep doing what you're doing. :)

--
Logo blog: http://yoh-an.blogspot.com/
Personal blog: http://saseum-ssi.tumblr.com/
deviantArt: http://yoh-an.deviantart.com/
I make logos from time to time.

AsHLeX
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory

#3 Post by AsHLeX » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:31 am

Aww, thank you so much!! :D I'll upload a demo soon once I finish Day4/5. (Christmas Eve/Christmas Day).

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#4 Post by VocaloidsRCool » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:40 am

This looks really nice~ I would still play this, even though it's not Christmas or New Years. The characters look adorable, and the idea is interesting. I wonder if you break down the fourth wall - is that something you'd do to make it seem realistic? I wouldn't know, but, some people do it; I find it funny, and it makes me feel like the characters know that I'm behind the screen, like they're aware of me. Whatever you do, just have fun, and please don't quit this.

AsHLeX
Veteran

#5 Post by AsHLeX » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:13 am

Aww, thanks so much for the encouraging words!! :)
I'm trying to make it feel like the character is talking directly to you (not sure if i'm succeeding though) but there are some scenes where the player's line is scripted (quite a minimum, really - mostly special events only)...

Also, is there anything in particular that you'd like to ask the character? Any character or all the characters? I can fit that in~~

tantivy
Regular

#6 Post by tantivy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:57 am

Hi!

Your game looks interesting and I would love to play it. I don't mind at all if it has a Christmas/New Year's theme. I like the sprites you've chosen, and the screenshots are looking good.

I haven't thought of any questions yet, but I'll let you know if I come up with something. I'm just excited to see what you've written.

Keep up the good work!

AsHLeX
Veteran

#7 Post by AsHLeX » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:09 am

Thank you so much for your encouragement!!! >w<
It really motivates me~ ^^"

LIZM
Regular
Completed: Monochrome Blues | Hermes & Gry | Ballad of a Dream
Projects: Endless Night encore
itch: lizmical

#8 Post by LIZM » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:58 am

Ohh, waiters. Nice. Although my favorite so far is Shin, the mystery behind this all makes everyone pretty interesting. And as someone who deals with communication issues a lot, I'll be looking forward to interacting with a character whose language I don't speak. :P

Quick question about that last screenshot with Haru; is everyone's name going to show in kanji throughout the game? I'm used to them so it wouldn't bother me personally, but a lot of people might end up forgetting what they're called if they can't read them. ^^;
AsHLeX wrote:Question(s):
1. I know the theme is way out of it's period, but are you still willing to play when it comes out?
2. If you could ask them (all or just one) one question, what will that be? I'll include it in~
1. I'm the type of person who could play a Christmas themed game at the height of summer, so I honestly don't care if the theme matches its release. In the end, whether you're going for Christmas, New Years or Valentine's doesn't matter to me personally. If it's really important to you, perhaps you could add an updated version next Christmas/New Years :D

2. I can't really think of anything right now, maybe after the demo.

AsHLeX
Veteran

#9 Post by AsHLeX » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:52 am

(Edited:)
Thanks for the encouragement!! :)

lockpicklogic
Regular

Re: [DEMO UP!]Cafe Mysteria[Otome][GxB][Butler Cafe][FREE]

#10 Post by lockpicklogic » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:48 pm

Looks interesting. :) Kyou is my favourite, probably because he acts like a protective big brother.
1. Yes, certainly. Like Ian, timing really doesn't bother me. I've played Christmas themed games in Easter for goodness sake!
2. Hmm. I would like to ask Haru why he dyed his hair (or if it's natural?).
Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.
-- Clementine Paddelford --

AsHLeX
Veteran

#11 Post by AsHLeX » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:44 am

@lockpicklogic:
Okay, got it, thanks!!
Haha Kyou...He drives a car and won't let you walk home alone (after he gets to know you). He's a little over-protective xD

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#12 Post by VocaloidsRCool » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:59 am

AsHLeX wrote:Aww, thanks so much for the encouraging words!! :)
I'm trying to make it feel like the character is talking directly to you (not sure if i'm succeeding though) but there are some scenes where the player's line is scripted (quite a minimum, really - mostly special events only)...

Also, is there anything in particular that you'd like to ask the character? Any character or all the characters? I can fit that in~~
I am playing the demo, and I do think it seems like they are talking directly to you. However, I like visual novels with a few more personal selections - a few more choices, like the Aloners game. However, I do like the character's personalities, and the menu choices are great. I can never win at the card game 'memory', so the card game in the visual novel is hard for me, but fun, nonetheless. I am playing Haru's route,
and I know that you have to load continually to get the same guy every day
I am on the third day, and not yet done, but I had to review.

Sorry for neglecting to answer your question. It may be too late to answer, but I will anyway. I would like to ask all the characters what they would like most for Christmas, and I would like to ask Haru if I can wear his headphones once.

Alice PH
Regular

#13 Post by Alice PH » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:33 pm

1. I know the theme is way out of it's period, but are you still willing to play when it comes out?
Pfft, it's a festival everyday for me xD I WILL PLAY ANY GAME THAT IS GOOD. Which means, yes, yes, yes I would play it <3
2. If you could ask them (all or just one) one question, what will that be? I'll include it in~
...................Tss...Question?.......I...I...I'm not sure ><!!!
Waaah, they all look soooooo goooood! I wish it would be a long game ^^...Well, at least not too short xD I wanna enjoy thoroughly :P
If you give your words on the game that you will finish.
I will wait. Let it be 2 years,4 years or more ★

Akitsuki
Veteran
Projects: Truffle!
Deviantart: ak-itsuki

#14 Post by Akitsuki » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:50 am

Wow! It looks great yet simple! I'm downloading the demo now and I'll tell you more after I play it.
Totally subscribing this topic from now!

tantivy
Regular

#15 Post by tantivy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:56 am

Ok, so I've played your demo now several times and it's really fun! I love that you incorporated those mini-games; the challenge is nice and it feels satisfying when you win. I particularly liked the sliding picture puzzles. That tree picture you chose was insane, but I liked it!

I did notice a few issues as I played (which is to be expected in a demo, of course, so no worries), so I'll describe them here in case it's helpful to you. If not, and it's unwanted, I'm so sorry! :oops:

Right after my character goes to the seashore and it says, "I close my eyes and enjoy the sound," it says that an exception has occurred. Another exception occurs right after it says "The party is almost finishing." I was able to click "ignore" and move on with the story, though, in each of those cases.

Also, when Kyou asks me trivia questions on day three, I think there is something wrong with the name question. I've typed my name carefully with both a capital letter at the beginning and in all small letters, but Kyou says I got my name wrong no matter what. (Also, I think it would be good for it to say "correct" after I type in "tokyo" just for consistency. :) )

When I'm playing Haru's matching game on Christmas Eve, it works just fine, but when I play his game on an earlier day (day 2, I think?) there is a glitch that makes all the cards except one keep disappearing all of a sudden so I can't make matches.
Speaking of Haru's matching game, the four-card version is extremely difficult (and I haven't really been able to play the two-card kind so I don't know about that). I would recommend making it a bit easier, like increasing or removing the time limit. :)

Finally, I have a suggestion about the dialogue.
When I go on a date with Zhang, there's a point when my character can say "Where are we going?" or "N-not really..." This second choice makes it seem like my character has understood him even though I guess she hasn't since she's me, so that's confusing. (Speaking of the MC being me, you did a good job making it seem like the guys are talking directly to me!)

Anyway, I love your game so far. Thank you so much for sharing it with me! :D