Coming of Age VN (title under construction)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

Coming of Age VN (title under construction)

#1 Post by Rozume »

((I'm a bit hesitant to post anything in the Ideas/WIP section, because I have a habit of not seeing things through. However, I recently got my stuff together and I'm determined to see this finished.))

((I WILL MAKE AND FINISH THIS IF I HAVE TO LOSE AN ARM TO DO IT))

Update 7/20/2015 I'm picking this project up (as well as canceling Solace from Winter). Development should kick off August 20th, 2015
Update 1/23/2015: Changed Synopsis and Character List. Recruiting for Collaborators.
Synopsis: Juliette Yu was always a trouble maker. After the death of her mother, however, it seems that her delinquent ways is getting worse: she causes uproar after uproar at her new prep school, goes out late at night with little indication on returning, and fights constantly with her step-mother. But when an argument with her step-mother goes too far, she decides to run away from home with no plan nor destination in mind.
Characters
((concept art to be added later))

Juliette Yu:A reckless girl with a sharp attitude, Juliette lives up to her name as the "Rebel Without A Cause." If you say up, she says down. And if you dare to get on her bad side, she'll make sure you won't ever again.
Vivian Nguyen: The polar opposite of Juliette - she always looks before she leaps and walks before she runs. A massive goody-two shoes, she thinks she can be the influence that Juliette needs.
Eric Wagner: A natural born leader, he always has to be the one in charge. Always. He also doesn't have a sense of humor.
Rodney Rodriguez: The oldest of four, Rodney is everyone's big brother; he always there to help anyone in need to the point where he forgets himself sometimes.
Jane Wagner: A delinquent girl that no one talks about, neither in her family nor at her school, her very presence is a mystery. And she's taking none of your shit.
Dr. Leigh Williamson: A jaded, cynical English teacher that really, really doesn't get paid enough to deal with these teenage punks.
Eleanora Yu The step-mother, or as Juliette calls her, "The Evil Step-Mother." For some reason, she hates her step-daughter and will do everything in her power to make Juliette's life miserable.

((more characters might be added later))
Last edited by Rozume on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

baabaa

Re: High School Story (title under construction) [Comedy]

#2 Post by baabaa »

Sounds fun! ^^

To answer you questions,
1) I don't prefer one over the other. (:
2) Definitely not! In fact, I would enjoy it more.
3) I can see this with a more unique art style but that's just my own preference.
4) Honestly, I don't expect a lot. The characters sound pretty interesting, but the plot kind of feels like it's been done before. That being said, I still think it'll be a fun story. Just because the plot sounds to have been done before, it doesn't mean it'll end up identical to another, if that makes any sense.
☆ the co-director & writer for blood calls (wip). ☆

Rozume
Veteran

#3 Post by Rozume »

@baabaa

Thank you for answering my questions! ^^ I agree this premise is not the most original in the world, but I hope the characters make it shine. c:

Anyway, I'll try to update on my progress every week when I can.

n0tgin
Regular

#4 Post by n0tgin »

Hello! This looks cool so far, I'm definitely interested as you have an ethnically Vietnamese protagonist, I'm always interested in diverse casts, especially when it comes to protagonists.
Anyway, I hope you'll find my answers helpful somehow!

1. Would you prefer Character Routes or an Overarching Arc?
I prefer character routes, 'cos I think it'll allow players a chance to delve into characters more, but overarching arcs are great when done well. either way, I don't have a strong preference, so as long as it's executed nicely, I'd like it.

2. I want to discuss topics like Male Entitlement and Sexism in this, among others. Would bringing these topics to the table detract from your enjoyment of the game?
No, actually, it'd push me to play/like or at least be intrigued by it, it's great that these topics are being discussed about in different forms of media/arts.

3. What kind of art style would you like to see for this? I'm actually leaning towards a cell-shaded anime/mangaish style but I know some people would like to see other styles.
Any art style is OK, but I have a slight preference towards cell-shading because it looks very clean, if you're going for a bright/fun look (since the game is set in a high school environment and it /is/ comedy I thought you might be going for that aesthetic). Overall as long as the art is coherent and fits in nicely with the GUI/backgrounds and serves the mood of the game, it would be good.

4. From reading the synopsis and the character description, what do you expect from a story like this?
Well I've read way too much love triangles and... I've learnt not to get my hopes up. Be optimistic, but don't get sad when it doesn't turn out good. But! Since you've said that you want to discuss the topics above, I am looking on the bright side!

Rozume
Veteran

#5 Post by Rozume »

Some updates! I'm working on the outline/scene summaries. It's going pretty smoothly so far, however when I get to actual drafting I kind of get stuck - the words just don't flow out. :C

Perhaps I need to do more planning or take more breaks to recharge, whatever it is I will get a draft done!

@n0tgin

I'm glad your interested! I'm Vietnamese-American myself and I always like to see someone that looks like me in media. I love diverse casts, I always make sure my stories have diversity in them. Since the world is getting increasingly diverse it makes sense to have media that reflects that, right? ^^

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#6 Post by noeinan »

Sounds interesting!

1. Would you prefer Character Routes or an Overarching Arc?

I prefer character routes, but so that each route gives you some insight into a few other romantic interests. Having their own route allows you to delve deeper into their story, without necessarily being made to play through whole sections with another character. (Small bits for the purpose of "advertising" other routes is good though.) The exception is if the plot of the story fits in the overarching frame better.

2. I want to discuss topics like Male Entitlement and Sexism in this, among others. Would bringing these topics to the table detract from your enjoyment of the game?

I think things like this can enhance the story if they're done in a personal way, so characters develop in their own understanding and you also find out why it is important to other characters. If it becomes more of a lecture then it isn't going to be as fun. However discussing values, and why so and so actions/ideas hurt certain characters and it becomes about compassion then it can be done well.

3. What kind of art style would you like to see for this? I'm actually leaning towards a cell-shaded anime/mangaish style but I know some people would like to see other styles.

I like cell-shaded manga/anime style art.

4. From reading the synopsis and the character description, what do you expect from a story like this?

Hm, well, I guess from Vivian's last name that she has some Vietnamese background, so perhaps there will be discussion of anti-racism (since other social justice terms were mentioned earlier.) I always appreciate stories that have ethnic diversity in any case, because way too many are just... really white. It seems like a love triangle type situation, which I don't mind as long as there is a reason why multiple people like the MC. (Like, I prefer to see it on screen rather than to start the game with two people already in love with the MC-- because seeing it makes it seem more like there is a reason for them to like her instead of "for the plot!")

In any case, it seems interesting, and I'd like to hear more about it. :)

Rozume
Veteran

#7 Post by Rozume »

@daikiraikimi

I'm glad you're interested in the story!

While there are certain things I will bring to the table (like entitlement and sexism for example), there is just so much I can discuss without it being one big sermon. So what I will touch upon will not be the main focus of the story. ^^;

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by gekiganwing »

Rozume wrote: 2. I want to discuss topics like Male Entitlement and Sexism in this, among others. Would bringing these topics to the table detract from your enjoyment of the game?
Is there an easy way to make sure that your story's message is not tacked-on, and that it doesn't distract from the story? I'm not sure, and I don't think this process is easy. Overall, I believe you will benefit if you focus on telling the story.
Rozume wrote: 3. What kind of art style would you like to see for this? I'm actually leaning towards a cell-shaded anime/mangaish style but I know some people would like to see other styles.
Think about artists that you like, and ask yourself, "What specific things about their works do I like?" You might want to look through the TVTropes article Signature Style.

Rozume
Veteran

Re: Coming of Age VN (title under construction) [Open Dev]

#9 Post by Rozume »

Hi guys! I decided to change the story and characters ^^; As I was outlining and writing things, I was struggling a bit with how to tell the story and then I realized that Vivian wasn't the best character to tell the story I want to tell. So, I came up with a new protagonist and thus, a new story.

I thought about it a lot, and realized I didn't want to tell another High School Romance story, but a Coming of Age Story like The Catcher in the Rye and The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I also really like Coming of Age Stories. :D

This VN will be told in 3 Acts, and I pretty much outlined Act 1 already. Everything's still in the idea's/concept phase because I want to have a solid idea of what I'm doing before I dive into the writing/art.

I'm also recruiting for collaborators: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=30107

Rozume
Veteran

Re: Coming of Age VN (title under construction) [Open Dev]

#10 Post by Rozume »

Update! I added some concept art of Juliette so you all can see what she looks like. Full body version can be found here.

I really like the chunky, painterly look of this and I would like the art to be in that style. ^^; However, it's very time consuming and I don't know if I can make a whole VN in that style. What do you guys think?

Also, I forgot to mention in my previous post but this will be open dev, meaning everything about this project will be up for public opinion. c:

Rozume
Veteran

Re: Coming of Age VN (title under construction)

#11 Post by Rozume »

Hey guys, just letting you all know I'm picking this title up as I get back into EVNs.

Development should start off August 20th, 2015 as stated in the OP.

Also, I'm no longer seeking collaborators for now as I plan to do the writing, art, etc by myself and this won't be open dev. However, I will try my best to update as much as I can and show my process.