Cafe Mysteria(Xmas)(Otome)(New Demo)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

Cafe Mysteria(Xmas)(Otome)(New Demo)

#1 Post by AsHLeX »

WELCOME TO CAFE MYSTERIA!!!

Immerse yourself in the festive season by visiting a mysterious café that only opens for 12 days each year. The handsome well-dressed butlers will stop at nothing to ensure that you have a good time. Pick one and stick with them throughout the twelve days or mess around and see who you like best - the choice is yours! In this café, the 4th wall has been broken down completely - the protagonist is you. Flirt, tease, joke, or cry your way through the murky waters of friendship and love.

THE CHARACTERS:

SCREENSHOTS:

TRAILER:

FAQ

1. Why should I play Cafe Mysteria?
Cafe Mysteria is a unique one-of-a-kind experience, designed such that the butlers are speaking to you, not just a pre-designed protagonist on the screen. There are not currently many visual novels of this style, so even if just for curiosity's sake, you should check it out!

2. How did Cafe Mysteria come about?
It is heavily inspired by the visual novel 'Aloners' by sonnet009 and their style of breaking the 4th wall. It started off as a simple Christmas visual novel to enjoy the festive mood and has gone through multiple revisions since 2015 to what it is today.

3. Do I have to understand Chinese to get the full experience?
No!! Knowing Chinese will change your experience in some ways, but ultimately in the final version it will not matter.

4. Are there minigames in Cafe Mysteria?
Yes. In the upcoming demo there will be four completed minigames. None of these will be mandatory in the final version though!

5. Are there any incentives for me to review Cafe Mysteria?
The first three people to comment on Cafe Mysteria on the demo release page will be given a free copy of the visual novel upon release. Everyone else will get a free code for the bonus pack when available. Additionally, I may at my own discretion choose randomly from the reviewers to provide a little surprise in the future releases of Cafe Mysteria. (This will be awarded to past winners in the upcoming 2023 demo).

6. What will be part of the bonus pack?
It is still awhile from the final release date, but I expect to release additional side stories that flesh out the individual character backgrounds after the final version of Cafe Mysteria is released. Everyone who reviewed prior to the final release date with obtain a free code for the bonus pack.

7. What questions do you want me to answer?
I've listed some questions below. Feel free to address any (or none) of them in your review!
  • What are/were your expectations from Cafe Mysteria?
  • What is your experience with this type of visual novel?
  • Who is your favorite character? Why?
  • Would you play this on full release?
  • Did you find any glaring errors in the visual novel?
  • What did you think Cafe Mysteria did well? Why?
  • What did you think Cafe Mysteria did poorly? Why?
  • What do you think Cafe Mysteria can improve on?
8. Does Cafe Mysteria have a plot?
Definitely! You play as a female who has stumbled upon a mysterious Christmas cafe that is only open for 12 days a year. During these 12 days, you'll get to know the butlers, who each have their individual stories to tell and decide whether or not to pursue them. The demo itself is fairly light-hearted, while the final version will go into much more depth and include a story of how Cafe Mysteria came to be.

9. I find certain events to be triggering. Is Cafe Mysteria right for me?
Cafe Mysteria may not be suitable for very young children or people who are easily disturbed. However, there is an option to turn on content warning, where the visual novel warns you every time a potentially triggering scene appears. The demo itself is fairly light and shouldn't pose too much of an issue to most people.

10. How long is Cafe Mysteria?
This is the most up-to-date Lint report. Please note that the word count also includes scenes that are currently inaccessible and will only be accessible in the final version.

Code: Select all

Statistics:

The game contains 6,287 dialogue blocks, containing 53,215 words and 293,052
characters, for an average of 8.5 words and 47 characters per block.

The game contains 359 menus, 48 images, and 46 screens.
I would estimate that the upcoming demo will have approximately 1 hour worth of content, although this may be significantly more or less depending on how many of the menu choices you wish to explore.

11. When will the latest demo release?
The 2023 Christmas Demo has been released. Please see this page for more details.

MEET THE TEAM:
- AsHLeX (Writer, Basic Programming, Dev)
- mudora23 (Programmer)
- kathaeris (UI)
- vellaude (sprites)
- Tsukkiusa (CG)
- Hunyo (chibi)
- Foxeleos (BG cafe)
- Mila (BG street)
- Bakjwi Namja (logo)
Last edited by AsHLeX on Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:12 am, edited 74 times in total.

iiStarCandy
Regular
Projects: Bored to Death, Trying to Walk
IRC Nick: Yoh-An
Tumblr: saseum-ssi
Deviantart: yoh-an

Re: Cafe Mysteria [Otome][GxB][Butler Cafe][Christmas][FREE]

#2 Post by iiStarCandy »

Ooh, this looks really interesting! :D I really like the characters and the art is beautiful. As for me, I wouldn't really care about the theme being Christmas or New Years or Valentine's as long as the game itself is fun, but I think you should just keep doing what you're doing. :)

--
Logo blog: http://yoh-an.blogspot.com/
Personal blog: http://saseum-ssi.tumblr.com/
deviantArt: http://yoh-an.deviantart.com/
I make logos from time to time.

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory

#3 Post by AsHLeX »

Aww, thank you so much!! :D I'll upload a demo soon once I finish Day4/5. (Christmas Eve/Christmas Day).
New demo out 24/12/23!!

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#4 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

This looks really nice~ I would still play this, even though it's not Christmas or New Years. The characters look adorable, and the idea is interesting. I wonder if you break down the fourth wall - is that something you'd do to make it seem realistic? I wouldn't know, but, some people do it; I find it funny, and it makes me feel like the characters know that I'm behind the screen, like they're aware of me. Whatever you do, just have fun, and please don't quit this.

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by AsHLeX »

Aww, thanks so much for the encouraging words!! :)
I'm trying to make it feel like the character is talking directly to you (not sure if i'm succeeding though) but there are some scenes where the player's line is scripted (quite a minimum, really - mostly special events only)...

Also, is there anything in particular that you'd like to ask the character? Any character or all the characters? I can fit that in~~
New demo out 24/12/23!!

tantivy
Regular

#6 Post by tantivy »

Hi!

Your game looks interesting and I would love to play it. I don't mind at all if it has a Christmas/New Year's theme. I like the sprites you've chosen, and the screenshots are looking good.

I haven't thought of any questions yet, but I'll let you know if I come up with something. I'm just excited to see what you've written.

Keep up the good work!

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by AsHLeX »

Thank you so much for your encouragement!!! >w<
It really motivates me~ ^^"
New demo out 24/12/23!!

LIZM
Regular

#8 Post by LIZM »

Ohh, waiters. Nice. Although my favorite so far is Shin, the mystery behind this all makes everyone pretty interesting. And as someone who deals with communication issues a lot, I'll be looking forward to interacting with a character whose language I don't speak. :P

Quick question about that last screenshot with Haru; is everyone's name going to show in kanji throughout the game? I'm used to them so it wouldn't bother me personally, but a lot of people might end up forgetting what they're called if they can't read them. ^^;
AsHLeX wrote:Question(s):
1. I know the theme is way out of it's period, but are you still willing to play when it comes out?
2. If you could ask them (all or just one) one question, what will that be? I'll include it in~
1. I'm the type of person who could play a Christmas themed game at the height of summer, so I honestly don't care if the theme matches its release. In the end, whether you're going for Christmas, New Years or Valentine's doesn't matter to me personally. If it's really important to you, perhaps you could add an updated version next Christmas/New Years :D

2. I can't really think of anything right now, maybe after the demo.

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by AsHLeX »

(Edited:)
Thanks for the encouragement!! :)
New demo out 24/12/23!!

lockpicklogic
Regular

Re: [DEMO UP!]Cafe Mysteria[Otome][GxB][Butler Cafe][FREE]

#10 Post by lockpicklogic »

Looks interesting. :) Kyou is my favourite, probably because he acts like a protective big brother.
1. Yes, certainly. Like Ian, timing really doesn't bother me. I've played Christmas themed games in Easter for goodness sake!
2. Hmm. I would like to ask Haru why he dyed his hair (or if it's natural?).
Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.
-- Clementine Paddelford --

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by AsHLeX »

@lockpicklogic:
Okay, got it, thanks!!
Haha Kyou...He drives a car and won't let you walk home alone (after he gets to know you). He's a little over-protective xD
New demo out 24/12/23!!

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#12 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

AsHLeX wrote:Aww, thanks so much for the encouraging words!! :)
I'm trying to make it feel like the character is talking directly to you (not sure if i'm succeeding though) but there are some scenes where the player's line is scripted (quite a minimum, really - mostly special events only)...

Also, is there anything in particular that you'd like to ask the character? Any character or all the characters? I can fit that in~~
I am playing the demo, and I do think it seems like they are talking directly to you. However, I like visual novels with a few more personal selections - a few more choices, like the Aloners game. However, I do like the character's personalities, and the menu choices are great. I can never win at the card game 'memory', so the card game in the visual novel is hard for me, but fun, nonetheless. I am playing Haru's route,
and I know that you have to load continually to get the same guy every day
I am on the third day, and not yet done, but I had to review.

Sorry for neglecting to answer your question. It may be too late to answer, but I will anyway. I would like to ask all the characters what they would like most for Christmas, and I would like to ask Haru if I can wear his headphones once.

Alice PH
Regular

#13 Post by Alice PH »

1. I know the theme is way out of it's period, but are you still willing to play when it comes out?
Pfft, it's a festival everyday for me xD I WILL PLAY ANY GAME THAT IS GOOD. Which means, yes, yes, yes I would play it <3
2. If you could ask them (all or just one) one question, what will that be? I'll include it in~
...................Tss...Question?.......I...I...I'm not sure ><!!!
Waaah, they all look soooooo goooood! I wish it would be a long game ^^...Well, at least not too short xD I wanna enjoy thoroughly :P
If you give your words on the game that you will finish.
I will wait. Let it be 2 years,4 years or more ★

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#14 Post by Akitsuki »

Wow! It looks great yet simple! I'm downloading the demo now and I'll tell you more after I play it.
Totally subscribing this topic from now!

tantivy
Regular

#15 Post by tantivy »

Ok, so I've played your demo now several times and it's really fun! I love that you incorporated those mini-games; the challenge is nice and it feels satisfying when you win. I particularly liked the sliding picture puzzles. That tree picture you chose was insane, but I liked it!

I did notice a few issues as I played (which is to be expected in a demo, of course, so no worries), so I'll describe them here in case it's helpful to you. If not, and it's unwanted, I'm so sorry! :oops:

Right after my character goes to the seashore and it says, "I close my eyes and enjoy the sound," it says that an exception has occurred. Another exception occurs right after it says "The party is almost finishing." I was able to click "ignore" and move on with the story, though, in each of those cases.

Also, when Kyou asks me trivia questions on day three, I think there is something wrong with the name question. I've typed my name carefully with both a capital letter at the beginning and in all small letters, but Kyou says I got my name wrong no matter what. (Also, I think it would be good for it to say "correct" after I type in "tokyo" just for consistency. :) )

When I'm playing Haru's matching game on Christmas Eve, it works just fine, but when I play his game on an earlier day (day 2, I think?) there is a glitch that makes all the cards except one keep disappearing all of a sudden so I can't make matches.
Speaking of Haru's matching game, the four-card version is extremely difficult (and I haven't really been able to play the two-card kind so I don't know about that). I would recommend making it a bit easier, like increasing or removing the time limit. :)

Finally, I have a suggestion about the dialogue.
When I go on a date with Zhang, there's a point when my character can say "Where are we going?" or "N-not really..." This second choice makes it seem like my character has understood him even though I guess she hasn't since she's me, so that's confusing. (Speaking of the MC being me, you did a good job making it seem like the guys are talking directly to me!)

Anyway, I love your game so far. Thank you so much for sharing it with me! :D