RPG Overworld Engine

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Mole-chan
Veteran
Completed: DUAEL, Escape from Puzzlegate
Projects: A Bird with Gold-Mended Wings
Deviantart: mole-chan
itch: moleworks

RPG Overworld Engine

#1 Post by Mole-chan »

ImageImage

Well, after a ton of work, and just as much asking silly questions (for which I can't thank you lovely forum-goers enough for answering! Thank you!), I've finally completed this. Hopefully it proves useful enough to pay you back. :'3

It’s a reasonably featured RPG overworld engine for use in Ren’py. The engine is intended to be used alongside Jake’s battle engine, but is versatile enough for pretty much anything that requires real-time movement in a hub world.

Download
(The download is a game directory, not a build. Put it in your Ren'py folder and launch/edit from there)

Features
  • Easy, text based layouts
  • Scrolling and static maps
  • Static and roaming NPC’s with user defined ranges
  • Easy conversation system based on labels
  • Z-ordering, with three layers of depth
Commercial Use
For now, the engine is released under a Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 United States (CC BY-NC 3.0 US) license. However, I am more than flexible about licensing it to those who are interested. As it is such a modest engine, the terms will be generous to say the least. I can be contacted here, or by email.

Art Credits:
NPC sprite- charas-project
NPC Portrait - sapiboonggames@ Lemmasoft
Tileset - Planet Cute

khnachi
Veteran
Location: Somewhere in those 7,107 islands in the Philippines.

Re: RPG Overworld Engine

#2 Post by khnachi »

Wow this is awesome, thanks for sharing it. :mrgreen:

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by xela »

Great job!
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#4 Post by firecat »

i have a question, how we use it? i been trying to figure out how the code works but theres nothing telling me which one to start or which one is the battle versions. a tutorial would be very nice and thank you for your hard work :D

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

Mole-chan
Veteran

#5 Post by Mole-chan »

firecat wrote:i have a question, how we use it? i been trying to figure out how the code works but theres nothing telling me which one to start or which one is the battle versions. a tutorial would be very nice and thank you for your hard work :D
Hello!

The code comes in a demo game directory, so simply taking a look at "script.rpy" and "assets.rpy" should give a good idea of how the code is used. I can certainly consider creating a basic tutorial, but there really isn't much to it. c:

As for battle versions, this is simply an overworld. There is no battle related code. Any battle functionality would be as a result of using Jake's engine alongside it. For the demo, a dummy class is used so the .won attribute can be toggled, but that's all there is.

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#6 Post by Starshine »

That is really good... which means a Renp'y platformer is most likely possible. :D
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

Mole-chan
Veteran

#7 Post by Mole-chan »

Starshine wrote:That is really good... which means a Renp'y platformer is most likely possible. :D
It definitely is!
As Renpy is pygame based, you have an option of either Renpygame (easy, but doesn't implement as smoothly), or a user displayable running Pygame code.

I probably won't be the one writing it, haha. But it'd be very similar, and some logic from this engine could probably be reused.

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#8 Post by Starshine »

It definitely is!
As Renpy is pygame based, you have an option of either Renpygame (easy, but doesn't implement as smoothly), or a user displayable running Pygame code.

I probably won't be the one writing it, haha. But it'd be very similar, and some logic from this engine could probably be reused.[/quote]

I agree i always knew Ren'py would be able to do other things apart from the basic story-type games, i'm downloading this engine right this minute to see how it works and i wanted to test it last week but Mediafire wasn't working but it is today, i know how RPG Maker works so it shouldn't be that hard because they are basically sprite-images in PNG format? I know what you mean messing with the codes in Ren'py can be quite frustrating but i'm sure one day someone will crack it. :D
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

Mole-chan
Veteran

#9 Post by Mole-chan »

Starshine wrote:
It definitely is!

I probably won't be the one writing it, haha. But it'd be very similar, and some logic from this engine could probably be reused.

I agree i always knew Ren'py would be able to do other things apart from the basic story-type games, i'm downloading this engine right this minute to see how it works and i wanted to test it last week but Mediafire wasn't working but it is today, i know how RPG Maker works so it shouldn't be that hard because they are basically sprite-images in PNG format? I know what you mean messing with the codes in Ren'py can be quite frustrating but i'm sure one day someone will crack it. :D
You'll find there are quite a few differences between this engine and RPG Maker, if only because the codebase is wildly different. For one, since Pygame is handling all the logic, and not Renpy itself, the engine cannot use filmstrips. If you're converting images from RPG Maker, you'll have to grab the individual frames. It's a limitation I'm not too fond of, either, so down the road I might take a crack at it. The way data is fed in is pretty much making a bunch of arrays with class properties and feeding them into the displayable. So quite diffferent from RPG Maker, but hopefully easier.

So yes, the engine is quite simple to use, but I'm afraid any RPG Maker knowledge is pretty useless, except for sprite making.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#10 Post by noeinan »

This looks cool, I'll definitely have to check it out. :D

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by firecat »

Mole-chan wrote:
firecat wrote:i have a question, how we use it? i been trying to figure out how the code works but theres nothing telling me which one to start or which one is the battle versions. a tutorial would be very nice and thank you for your hard work :D
Hello!

The code comes in a demo game directory, so simply taking a look at "script.rpy" and "assets.rpy" should give a good idea of how the code is used. I can certainly consider creating a basic tutorial, but there really isn't much to it. c:

As for battle versions, this is simply an overworld. There is no battle related code. Any battle functionality would be as a result of using Jake's engine alongside it. For the demo, a dummy class is used so the .won attribute can be toggled, but that's all there is.
thanks i looked and its giving me a good understanding thanks

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by firecat »

o.k nvm i cant open asset.rpyc on anything....

Mole-chan
Veteran

#13 Post by Mole-chan »

firecat wrote:o.k nvm i cant open asset.rpyc on anything....
You want to look at the .rpy, not the .rpyc. Because, yes, editors cannot open .rpyc. It's pre compiled code to help Ren'py run faster. It's not human readable.
If you're missing the .rpy for any reason, re-extract the zip and it should be there. I did not package any .rpyc files with the engine.

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by firecat »

Mole-chan wrote:
You want to look at the .rpy, not the .rpyc. Because, yes, editors cannot open .rpyc. It's pre compiled code to help Ren'py run faster. It's not human readable.
If you're missing the .rpy for any reason, re-extract the zip and it should be there. I did not package any .rpyc files with the engine.
thanks i found it and i found out that it mixed with my test script turning it into a .rpyc so ya i better be careful with that.

Mole-chan
Veteran

#15 Post by Mole-chan »

firecat wrote:
Mole-chan wrote:
thanks i found it and i found out that it mixed with my test script turning it into a .rpyc so ya i better be careful with that.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just having .rpyc's around is harmless, and in fact helpful! Just make sure your .RPY files are still there, too, and that you use those for editing. ^^