Touhou-style music mode

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
MoonlightBomber
Regular
Completed: Gravure: A Super Network Wars Prelude, Nothing Happened series
Projects: Deadline, upcoming NaNoRenO 2020 project
Tumblr: moonlightbomber
Deviantart: moonlightbomber
itch: dagitabsoft

Touhou-style music mode

#1 Post by MoonlightBomber »

Well, this is the time for me to ask for help.

How do I implement a Touhou-style music mode that will be, of course, unlocked after beating the game?

For the uninitiated...

1. A numbered list of songs, scrollable via the up and down keys. To play a song, press the [confirm] button. The list is located at the top of the screen.

2. A paragraph of comments about the song that will only appear when the song is actually played. Located at the bottom of the screen.
Korina Sanchez: Ex-sensei Mel, we've met again.
Mel Tiangco: I'm expecting this from my former student.
Korina Sanchez: I know all along the reason for your presence.
Mel Tiangco: Of course. Your hairbrush.
Korina Sanchez: Snatch it again? Well, you're mistaken. It's because my hairbrush's container is packed with security features. What's your say?
Mel Tiangco: If you can do security... (pause) then 120% of my strength will shatter it!

Excerpt from Super Network Wars Omega: Suikoden Pilipinas

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Touhou-style music mode

#2 Post by Adorya »

There is another feature hidden in the Touhou music mode, but I think it will be a bit harder to implement in Ren'py:
The music tracks in fact are not looping at the very end of the song, because simply...there is no end, if you extract them you can only hear a fade out at the end of the sequence which you don't in the game or music mode.

Instead it check 2 specifics sequences in the track and start looping forth/back, you can see that in the song Voyage 1970 of Imperishable Night (that is also the reason why you can't substitute original track with another one ingame).