Are these possible using the RPG Engine by mole-chan?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
mystique
Regular

Are these possible using the RPG Engine by mole-chan?

#1 Post by mystique »

I want to try adding the following features on my game. Are these possible using this RPG Overworld Engine?

The instruction on the picture says, "Move around by using the arrow keys. Try to avoid as many puddles as possible."

I plan to do other three that have similar game play as the previous.
- Avoid puddles until you reach the other side of the door.

- Animated images that shows they're throwing papers to each other. The user must stop them by moving it using the arrow keys then press the spacebar to stop the one throwing it. It'll be random. They're not gonna do that simultaneously.

- The user must be able to serve the customers who have an exclamation (!) above them. This will be done by going near the customer then press the spacebar.

Mole-chan
Veteran
Completed: DUAEL, Escape from Puzzlegate
Projects: A Bird with Gold-Mended Wings
Deviantart: mole-chan
itch: moleworks

Re: Are these possible using the RPG Engine by mole-chan?

#2 Post by Mole-chan »

Hello!

Let me see if I can help with these. Also, you can always PM me directly if you have questions about the engine. C:

I can tell off hand most of these projects will require some modification of the engine to achieve your results. But as the core gameplay is walking around and interacting with objects, it's doable. You'll just have to know a lot about python and pygame before approaching it. The engine is fairly well commented, so you should be able to find what you need to modify. But if you're not comfortable modifying the engine quite a bit for each minigame, I'd be wary. In most of these cases, it'd probably be easier to just do the code from scratch, since this wasn't made with minigames in mind.

For the puddle game, what do you want to happen if the player hits a puddle? If you're ok with the result interrupting the game briefly, just creating a scenery object with a goToLabel that points to a label saying something along the lines of “oh no, you hit a puddle” should suffice. If not, you'll have to modify either the actionLabel or goToLabel actions in the main loop. Both are pretty simple, and I can walk you through it if you'd like. Otherwise, this one seems easy enough.

The throwing paper will require heavy modification. You'll probably need a new class to handle the papers being thrown. But I think a method in that class that just moves them in a preset arc at a random time, according to their current position, can handle animation. The walking up and pressing space can all be handled out of box, but the method that is called on hitting space will have to be replaced to stop the paper throwing.

Lastly, the customer minigame is also possible, but will require modifying pretty much everything but the walk and space controls. You should actually be able to swipe the exclamation point blitting code from the enemy class.

Hopefully that helps!