Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB] - Demo Updated!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
underbliss
Regular
Projects: Ebon Light
Tumblr: underbliss
Deviantart: Ahnna

Re: Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB]

#31 Post by underbliss »

Thank you Cola! Mm kind of delayed response, I apologize. Wanted to have something to update when I posted here again.
AS SUCH I updated the first post, mostly just updated portraits of the characters. I hope to have some proper screen shots to show off soon with proper backgrounds and expressions and context and all that jazz!

ColaCat
Veteran

#32 Post by ColaCat »

It's quite alright. I often forget to reply myself so I can hardly be mad or anything! ^_^

*Stares at the MC's face* So...beautiful...*goes off into a trance*

One thing I did note though (and I know they're not finished yet I just thought I'd tell you anyway), is that the MC's right arm looks rather small. Shouldn't it go out a bit more? Great one, Cat. You really explained that well...

underbliss
Regular

#33 Post by underbliss »

Oo, you think it is?
I looked at her arms on the preview and I'm wondering if its some weird awkward thing with the crop and her clothes clipping into her arm oddly more than her arm itself, but maybe they are too thin and I've been staring at it too long to see it :O Unless you mean you think her shoulders are too narrow and her arm should literally be 'out' more? But I think you meant too thin?

ahh I'm glad you like her face! <3 I'm a bit mixed on it but, again, I try not to form opinions because you stare at anything that much and it's gonna annoy you to death one way or another!

ColaCat
Veteran

#34 Post by ColaCat »

Ah, well now I'm looking at it for a longer period I can't be sure...X_X

If anything it was just between the shoulder and the elbow of the right arm, on the right hand side it seems a little to curved inwards. I guess I just thought it should go out a little more. You'd do best putting that to fresh eyes though, because I seem to have fallen into the dilemma you're in!
Yeah, the painty-realistic style is so good. Did you go to art school? If not, then kudos to you for teaching yourself that well!

underbliss
Regular

#35 Post by underbliss »

Ooh I think I'm starting to see the weirdness! Ok I'll pop in some references and double check it, thanks for the eyes!
Haha, ahh but that's the curse of staring at something too long. You can't figure out *what* is wrong or *how* to fix it but you can still see that *something* is wrong and it becomes maaaaaddennnning! That's why lots of artists make a habit of regularly rotating and flipping their art to try and refresh their eyes!

Aw, thank you! I took a couple life drawing classes at a community college, and if I remember a general 'drawing' class as well. Life drawing can be amazingly helpful, it was for me! It's relative to how an individual learns, but watching other artists break down their techniques helps me tuns, but I hear that it does absolutely nothing for other people. :/
That's proportion and technique, though, because in the realm of style - I cannot draw attractive line work often required for anime or 'cartoony' styles to save my life. I have TRIED my goodness, I have tried x.x

Gah I'm doing that ramble thing again I'm sorry!
<3

Erikka
Regular

#36 Post by Erikka »

WOW! Your finished art is so beautiful! Amazing job! Laceaga Darhal is so handsome! I think I like him the most.
The only thing that bothers me is the main heroine. She looks a bit cross-eyed.

underbliss
Regular

#37 Post by underbliss »

Erikka - Thank you!
And oh, haha, do you think so? I was wondering if she would look that way... easy fix, though! Thanks for the heads up!
I'm glad you like Lacey. He's a bit more .. attractive than I had intended but I suppose, given the context, I'll let it slide. ;)

That's what happens with an elf game, I suppose!!

ColaCat
Veteran

#38 Post by ColaCat »

Well I can tell how much it helped you! Your art is amazing! Yeah, whenever I do colouring I have to leave it for a day - it's unfortunate thhat with colours you can't rotate!

Don't worry! You weren't rambling at all. It's interesting to know how people learn/hone their skills and what techniques are used to try and avoid mistakes. ^^

underbliss
Regular

#39 Post by underbliss »

Aw thanks! In particular I found 'anatomy books for artists' really helpful. You can keep them on your desk and as you're drawing pop them open and.. even when you're heavily using references it can be incredibly helpful to see the pencil/charcoal strokes that the author uses to render forms, and the muscles beneath. I mean they're written by artists for artists so they go about it differently than an actual anatomy book and they can be super cool.

WOOSh!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Some more character works in progress :)
The blonde guy is done now, actually, but I'll avoid posting cause he'll be in the demo .. >:D

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#40 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Yay, some colors! I really love that you have different eyebrow shapes and thicknesses on your characters, by the way. It gives them more life---they're not coming out of a mold.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Erikka
Regular

#41 Post by Erikka »

underbliss wrote:Aw thanks! In particular I found 'anatomy books for artists' really helpful. You can keep them on your desk and as you're drawing pop them open and.. even when you're heavily using references it can be incredibly helpful to see the pencil/charcoal strokes that the author uses to render forms, and the muscles beneath. I mean they're written by artists for artists so they go about it differently than an actual anatomy book and they can be super cool.

WOOSh!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Some more character works in progress :)
The blonde guy is done now, actually, but I'll avoid posting cause he'll be in the demo .. >:D
It looks so GORGEOUS! Your art is marvelous! You are very very talented!
May I ask who is that red-haired guy on the right? He looks incredibly handsome. :shock: :oops:
Is there a chance that he will be romancable too?

underbliss
Regular

#42 Post by underbliss »

Mad Harlequin - Yes, yay, colors! hehe thank you! Eyebrows are always super fun to draw on characters. Also, lips <3

Erikka - Aww, thank you! Ah, that's Imre! He isn't one of the love interests for the main character, no. I'm afraid I'm already over extended with the five who are...
mm, I suppose I should keep things relatively secret so they come as a surprise when playing the game, but Imre, Saphron (lady in red) and another guy not shown are three scouts who work very closely with the protagonist. Their fates are particularly tied in with hers.. so you could do some mean things to Imre (or nice things, I suppose) if it's any consolation :P

ColaCat
Veteran

#43 Post by ColaCat »

Wow! It looks awesome! I'll have to check out that book, but in the meantime I'll oggle over your work. *stares intently at the pretty pictures*

underbliss
Regular

#44 Post by underbliss »

Oh hehe that's not the title of an actual book (though some are awful close), that's just a general.. kind of..sub genre or whatever.
I have "Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement" and "Figure Drawing for All It's Worth" seems to get recommended and has good reviews :)

Aww thank youuuu! I have sooo much to finish but it's really awesome seeing it come together!

ColaCat
Veteran

#45 Post by ColaCat »

Oh, I haven't heard of "Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement" but I was recommended "Figure Drawing for All It's Worth" by ameliori. I haven't properly read it yet, but so far it has been really good!

I bet! I hope you feel deeply satisfied afterwards, after all the effort you've put in, you definitely deserve it!