Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB] - Demo Updated!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Erikka
Regular

Re: Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB]

#46 Post by Erikka »

underbliss wrote:Mad Harlequin - Yes, yay, colors! hehe thank you! Eyebrows are always super fun to draw on characters. Also, lips <3

Erikka - Aww, thank you! Ah, that's Imre! He isn't one of the love interests for the main character, no. I'm afraid I'm already over extended with the five who are...
mm, I suppose I should keep things relatively secret so they come as a surprise when playing the game, but Imre, Saphron (lady in red) and another guy not shown are three scouts who work very closely with the protagonist. Their fates are particularly tied in with hers.. so you could do some mean things to Imre (or nice things, I suppose) if it's any consolation :P
It feels a bit pity I can't date Imre... He would be so perfect for me :roll: Such a good-looking guy :oops: And I'm sure other players will also find him very attrective)
Ok, at least I can do some nice things to him :)
P.s. I'm a fan of your art)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#47 Post by Mad Harlequin »

underbliss wrote:Mad Harlequin - Yes, yay, colors! Hehe, thank you! Eyebrows are always super fun to draw on characters. Also, lips <3
Yes, indeed! I really like visible lips. They give faces more . . . depth, I guess I'd call it? I don't know if that's the right word to use.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#48 Post by noeinan »

The art looks gorgeous, I'm jealous of your beautiful shading! :D

underbliss
Regular
Projects: Ebon Light
Tumblr: underbliss
Deviantart: Ahnna

#49 Post by underbliss »

Erikka - Hehe, sorry!
And yay! I'm so glad you like it!

Mad Harlequin - Yeah! Lips, noses, eyebrows are all huge markers of a person's aesthetic individuality, the way we tell a person apart in real life and such. So it falls perfectly in line with complimenting a character's depth! It's also a bit nerve wracking to draw sometimes and I think why sometimes artists end up drawing the same face over and over (esp when they don't want to be). You find something that works, you're afraid to break it.

Daikiraikimi - Thank you!! <3
Haha, yeah? I'm glad it's working! I'm used to shading characters directly into backgrounds and obviously that doesn't work with spriiiites! :P

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#50 Post by Mad Harlequin »

underbliss wrote:Mad Harlequin - Yeah! Lips, noses, eyebrows are all huge markers of a person's aesthetic individuality, the way we tell a person apart in real life and such. So it falls perfectly in line with complimenting a character's depth! It's also a bit nerve wracking to draw sometimes and I think why sometimes artists end up drawing the same face over and over (esp when they don't want to be). You find something that works, you're afraid to break it.
Yeah, that makes sense! Anyway, I appreciate the time and effort you put into your art. I can't really draw well, but that's not a surprise---I don't practice enough. I need to change that.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

underbliss
Regular

#51 Post by underbliss »

Gah I am so tired and spacing things-
Cola -
Aw I dunno, no time to rest on my laurels just yet 8D I'll be happy once I get the demo out. 8D
And hurrah another recommendation for that book! I just ordered it the other night when we were talking about it, too. Figured I'd see what the fuss was about 8D

Mad Harlequin - Definitely! Art talent is basically just a tuuuuun of practice. I mean, some people are unnaturally gifted and pick up things so fast you find interacting with them to be a daily exercise in repressing bitterness and improving yourself as a graceful human being, but for the most part, everyone just practiced a ton~

I'm shooting for proper in game screen shots tomorrow, here's hoping!

ColaCat
Veteran

#52 Post by ColaCat »

I seriously can't wait to play it. ^o^ *jumps up and down*

Yay! I guess reviews are important after all, huh? I only downloaded the free PDF - so I haven't had the full joy of reading it while sketching (which is probably what I need to try and do), but so far it has been really useful! Lots of good drawing/diagram thingies. Hopefully you'll enjoy it! Then we can add one more name onto the list of people who recommend it. ^_^

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#53 Post by Mad Harlequin »

underbliss wrote:I mean, some people are unnaturally gifted and pick up things so fast you find interacting with them to be a daily exercise in repressing bitterness and improving yourself as a graceful human being . . .
This made me laugh. I've definitely had to control my jealousy sometimes! But everyone's good at something. :)
— Mark Twain

Erikka
Regular

#54 Post by Erikka »

Btw, what rating will have the game? Will there be some sexual content?))

underbliss
Regular

#55 Post by underbliss »

Cola - I alwayssss check reviews before I buy things I can't personally inspect (so, basically online which lately is, basically, everything I buy). It's not here yet so I can't inspect it D:
Actually my favorite artist anatomy book was one that I had to buy for one of my life drawing classes. It was the bane of my existence at first, but when I began appreciating it it was seriously a gem. I can't find it, it breaks my heart! And I cant remember the title, either!

Ee I'm excited for you to play it!

Mad Harlequin - Yes exactly!

Erikka - Uhmmm by ESRB standards I expect it would fall somewhere between Teen and Mature. But, sexual content specifically - nothing explicit.

Now off to accomplish my screenshot goals!

ColaCat
Veteran

#56 Post by ColaCat »

Yeah, whenever I get stuff online I always spend about an hour before just searching for reviews etc.
By the time I actually make up my mind I've already wasted about half a day. >_<

Darn! That would really really annoy me. Why don't you look up the name of the life drawing classes instead? Maybe they have a list of books they use on their site? I know some do.

^_^

underbliss
Regular

#57 Post by underbliss »

Hey guys!
I fell behind, which may be obvious if anyone's been keeping track of when I wanted to release the demo. There's a handful of reasons I'll spare you all because it's largely stuff like 'I got sick and I had no idea it was going to take that long to do X' type stuff.

But nevertheless I've been working on Ebon Light and get more excited for it by the day~
I'm sorry for the wait on the demo, I'm trying to get it finished asap.

Screenshots are also coming soon, I'm working out the backgrounds in order to .. do that. I've never drawn backgrounds before, so, this is fun! (I say with both sarcasm and enthusiasm!)

So >.> in the meantime, here are some finished sprites.
ImageImage

Also I wanted to ask two questions of anyone willing to answer.
There's a topic in the creator discussion about part of this, kinda.
EL isn't meant to have paths that are decidedly 'right' or 'wrong' or very clear or obvious. I don't mean things will be purposefully obscure, either - but in the case of flirting, relationships, etc, this is sort of how it works -

MC has a bunch of stats that she is constantly refining with each little choice she makes. MC interacts with characters who all have their own personality and all respond to both her choices and her stats (based on aforementioned stats, IE: someone who's proven to be a blood thirsty murderer expressing compassion might be taken just a tad skeptically) - and so while 'flirting' won't have a sort of dragon age heart bubble to signify that's what you're insinuating when you tell so and so he's got nice perfectly pointy ears, I have been wondering if I should make a point of no return in terms of commitment somewhat clear. Since in this light, this game is set up closer to an RPG with romantic side content, over an otome where you select a guy at the beginning, you can pursue all sorts of relationships simultaneously, at least early on.

The other question was... whether or not those stats should be something the player can access. On one hand I kind of like keeping everything behind the scenes so things feel more organic, less statistical - but I know, on the other hand, that will only drive some people crazy.

Also!!
Cola - That! is a fantastic idea. <3

ColaCat
Veteran

#58 Post by ColaCat »

Oh my gosh they look amazing! Sorry you're not feeling well, but you're efforts have had great results! *gawps at the art again*

As for the questions, I can only speak on behalf of my personal opinion. If it were me, I'd prefer to have a clear idea of what effects what - mainly because I can be a bit, uhhh, stupid oblivious to how my choices are changing things. And it's annoying when the answers are too clear on what change they will have (if that makes sense). If possible, you could have it that you have really vague stats. So not giving you all details, but just a general idea of what you're leaning towards. Some kind of moral compass? *shrugs*
I mean, my first answer was to keep them hidden - but I realised how that might make it difficult for people to change the errors of their ways, they might think they're one thing but it turns out they're another. At least with stats you decide what they are, and not them. So I could be a ruthless character but not think I was ruthless. If the game had stats, I would know if I was ruthless or not. (If that makes sense?)

Also, I think it would be wise to have a point of no return, or at least a point of difficult return, otherwise it might be hard to get different characters, and could leave some people confused. It could be that later on in the game you decide (or it decides for you), but I think having a turn off point, with a few obscure options to go back, might be a good idea.

Hope that was a helpful answer!

:D Glad you think so! Hopefully they have a list though. ^_^

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#59 Post by Mad Harlequin »

underbliss wrote:Also I wanted to ask two questions of anyone willing to answer.
There's a topic in the creator discussion about part of this, kinda.
EL isn't meant to have paths that are decidedly 'right' or 'wrong' or very clear or obvious. I don't mean things will be purposefully obscure, either - but in the case of flirting, relationships, etc, this is sort of how it works -

MC has a bunch of stats that she is constantly refining with each little choice she makes. MC interacts with characters who all have their own personality and all respond to both her choices and her stats (based on aforementioned stats, IE: someone who's proven to be a blood thirsty murderer expressing compassion might be taken just a tad skeptically) - and so while 'flirting' won't have a sort of dragon age heart bubble to signify that's what you're insinuating when you tell so and so he's got nice perfectly pointy ears, I have been wondering if I should make a point of no return in terms of commitment somewhat clear. Since in this light, this game is set up closer to an RPG with romantic side content, over an otome where you select a guy at the beginning, you can pursue all sorts of relationships simultaneously, at least early on.
I had to laugh at the Dragon Age comment---I'm new to the series (don't ask me how I managed that) and am still in the early stages of the first game. But obviously I know what you mean by heart bubbles. :lol:

I prefer choices that clearly indicate to players what will happen, but they should be written in a way that isn't necessarily blunt (unless such directness is called for).
The other question was... whether or not those stats should be something the player can access. On one hand I kind of like keeping everything behind the scenes so things feel more organic, less statistical - but I know, on the other hand, that will only drive some people crazy.
I'm with you on the stats, but maybe the option to display them could be an unlock after a first playthrough.
— Mark Twain

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#60 Post by Harliqueen »

This game sounds amazing and the art is stunning! Very excited about it :)

As for your questions, I was unsure how to approach romance and I wondered if something more obvious would be better for players. In an otome where romance is the main thing, I don't think you need it. But in a game where the romance is more subtle or, as you say, side content, I might try to add something that at least hinted at flirt choices or romance points.

I like to see stats and things, but that's a very personal choice. Again maybe something a little more subtle might be good? To help keep the immersion in the game, but also so as the reader/player knows which direction they're taking.

I hope that made sense :D

Still, this all looks fab! Can't wait until release.
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)