████▓▒░ NANORENO 2015 ░▒▓████

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
PyroOgre
Projects: Somnus (N15)
Organization: Vermillion Concepts
IRC Nick: PyroOgre

Re: ████▓▒░ NANORENO 2015 ░▒▓████

#61 Post by PyroOgre »

First one, looking forward to it. Got the idea down - usually that's the hard part- so I only have to execute it.

Sami-Fire
Regular
Tumblr: execdreamcycle
Deviantart: Sami-Fire
Soundcloud: Sami-Fire

#62 Post by Sami-Fire »

I think I'm going to throw myself into NaNoRenO this year just to see what I can make, though I don't expect to "win" or complete anything because of graduate school responsibilities (*stares at colloquium in the middle of March*) and my tendency to completely snow myself in projects. I have a basic idea (granted, one that's derived from something else and has kind of a common formula, but I think I put my own unique twist on it), and I'm looking forward to writing it. It's gathering/attempting to make the graphical assets that might kill it for me. X_X

By the way, what are the rules about putting stuff not explicitly designated for free use in semi-finished games? Like, let's say my VN (by some miracle) is just about finished at the end of NaNoRenO, but I have yet to find enough royalty free music to replace all my placeholders. Would I be allowed to post my VN at all, or would I have to replace my non-free use place holders before posting? I know some other game-making communities are very hard on not leaving non-free use things in your work, so I want to check.

daestwen
Tumblr: shhhsekkrit
Deviantart: daestwen

#63 Post by daestwen »

Been meaning to really sit down and get a VN out for a while, and this lines up really well with a bunch of sudden free time for me, so gonna give it a shot. :)

Is there a recommended length? I'm really just jumping into the deep end here, so!

SparkyRailgun
Regular
IRC Nick: SparkyRailgun

#64 Post by SparkyRailgun »

No recommended length, just do whatever you think you can do in a month!

Riverbird
Deviantart: RiverbirdAlpha

#65 Post by Riverbird »

Sounds like fun...I'm in :)

allurious
Regular

#66 Post by allurious »

Definitely want to give it another go this year! Got too busy last year and it kinda fell by the wayside, but keen to give it another shot.

Emmerah
Projects: Infatuation
Organization: Holly & Oak Productions
IRC Nick: Emmerah
Tumblr: Emmerah
Deviantart: Emmerah

#67 Post by Emmerah »

I'll be participating as a team of two with my best friend, under the name Holly & Oak productions. This'll be our first year participating so we're really excited!
Last edited by Emmerah on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

#68 Post by yuucie »

I'm thinking about trying this year! I've been programming with renpy for about 2 years now, so I'm pretty familiar with renpy. However since I'm the artist/writer/programmer for my current project I know how much work it is to work on a VN alone, and completing a game solo in a month sounds very difficult. I'm dancing between wanting to do it and not wanting to set myself an unrealistic goal.

Has anyone tried soloing nanoreno before (Or planning to do so this year)? if so what are your thoughts;;;

Mashiro-chi
Regular
Completed: Unplanned AMOUR
Projects: Wolf & Red's Lovestory,Familiar & Love
Tumblr: nyahtome
Deviantart: Mashiro-chi

#69 Post by Mashiro-chi »

I'm totally newbie but i'll like to try this year... i have been stalking 2 year for NaNoRenO now, but never made anything... I already have idea and some character design. Only problem is my English writing skill is so "BEEB" bad...

Well. Let see what will happen..

paradigmshifty
Regular
Completed: New Pisces, For Ambergris, Void Id, Connection Pools, Apartment Complex, LIFEPLUS+ and more
Deviantart: paradigmshifty
Soundcloud: sleepyagents
itch: sleepyagents

#70 Post by paradigmshifty »

I'm really looking forward to my first nanoreno and my first game jam. This will also be my first released game ever - I don't think sharing over the school LAN counts as a release!
I'm going working on this game solo, so I'm going to keep the story short so I don't go over time (I'm totally not going to be finished within a month am I? Haha - But I'll try anyway).
Only a few days before we can begin!

Kharon

#71 Post by Kharon »

Newbie here, but I think I have a good idea for this. If I can wrangle up a good 2D artist it might even look good, but barring that I'll just have to push my own 2D art skills. I already have someone to help me with managing the script and any coding I need in it.

madmarten

#72 Post by madmarten »

Last edited by madmarten on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

f4ngy

#73 Post by f4ngy »

One of my friends and I are doing NaNoRenO for the first time! I'm doing programming and art, while he's going to be the writer. We have an idea and some character sketches done, so hopefully we'll be good to go on March 1st!

Do any participants from previous years have advice they'd like to give us newbs?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#74 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

f4ngy wrote:One of my friends and I are doing NaNoRenO for the first time! I'm doing programming and art, while he's going to be the writer. We have an idea and some character sketches done, so hopefully we'll be good to go on March 1st!

Do any participants from previous years have advice they'd like to give us newbs?
1. Keep your scope small. Have a 'minimum requirements' list and a 'nice to have' list. Finish everything on the minimum requirement list first and then you can work on the polish.
2. Know /exactly/ what you need to do before March starts. You should be more concerned with just doing rather than the whats and hows. You need to hit the ground running because a month can just flash past.
3. Be prepared for problems. Be prepared for bugs, be prepared for life interrupting, be prepared for computer failure. It happens. Keep it in mind when creating your scope and have some contingency time up your sleeve.

steve_T
Regular

#75 Post by steve_T »

I'm in, this will be my first one. hopefully I can make it in the deadline.