A few adjustments for the NVL mode...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

A few adjustments for the NVL mode...

#1 Post by Hime »

I'm going to make my next game an NVL-mode one! :) But yes, again, I've found some things that I haven't been able to do by myself...

So, I'd like to...
I. Make the up-left corner of the text be closer to the equivalent corner of the window,
II. Make the space between the lines a bit smaller,
III. Make the space in front of the dialogue text a lot smaller,
and I haven't been able to complete any of these by myself. Helpless, doh...

So, help, anyone? ^^;
Attachments
ungh.png

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by monele »

Just picking stuff from Magical Boutique, randomly :

Code: Select all

# for the names on the left. Try searching for styles/properties on the wiki. Things like margin, padding, min/max-something... all these properties should be appliable.
        style.nvl_label.minwidth = 100
        style.nvl_label.textalign = 1.0

# These two give an indentation, in pixels I believe, for the text. First line and the rest. If you want regular paragraphs, put something positive in first_indent and 0 for the rest.
        style.nvl_dialogue.first_indent = 0
        style.nvl_dialogue.rest_indent = 0
And don't forget the wiki : http://renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/referen ... =%28nvl%29

I suppose "nvl_dialogue" could be used to change the property of a single line... while "nvl_entry" includes both label and speech.

Properties and styles are here : http://renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/referen ... perties%29

Seems like the property "line_spacing" is what you're looking for ^_^

Hime
Veteran

#3 Post by Hime »

Thanks, I've now managed to complete the step I. However, with step II, I can't really figure nvl_WHAT I should use... When I put "entry", it has no effect, and when I put "dialogue", it only affected the dialogue lines. And in the step III, the name is now on the left side of the space, but I didn't still figure how I can make that space smaller in entity.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

for III, I'd say it's nvl_label and minwidth. I'll suppose you could even use minwidth = 0 (or something positive, to be sure) and, unless there's a name, it should have any space.

Soo... is it the space between two entries or lines in a single sentence? line_spacing on "nvl_dialogue" should work for the last case. Otherwise, it might have to do with hm.... margins on nvl_entry. You'll have to fiddle with "margin", "bottom-margin" and stuff like that. Check the wiki for the list ^^

Hime
Veteran

#5 Post by Hime »

Thank you a lot, it works prettily now! ^^ Here, have a cookie.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

Kyaan! *munches on cookie happily* ^3^

Cart

Re: A few adjustments for the NVL mode...

#7 Post by Cart »

But how should I do if I want the space beetween two entries and the space between 2 lines from the same entry (when the text is too long or when you use a line feed "\n") to be same ?

I tried playing with style.nvl_dialogue.line_spacing and style.nvl_entry.ymargin but i couldn't do what i wanted :(
Would anyone be nice enough to help me ?

Thanks^^
Attachments
space.jpg

@berration
Regular
Projects: EH...

#8 Post by @berration »

Cart wrote:But how should I do if I want the space beetween two entries and the space between 2 lines from the same entry (when the text is too long or when you use a line feed "\n") to be same ?
While experimenting in NVL mode, I've come across this same problem. Adjusting line_spacing will vary the space between individual statements, but on lines where the text wraps, the space is always smaller, no matter the setting. I was attempting to create uniform line spacing, but so far haven't figured out how to do it. Is there a parameter I'm overlooking somewhere?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

The spacing between entries is controlled, IIRC, by style.nvl_vbox.box_spacing.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

@berration
Regular
Projects: EH...

#10 Post by @berration »

PyTom wrote:The spacing between entries is controlled, IIRC, by style.nvl_vbox.box_spacing.
Ah, looks like that did the trick. (I set line_spacing to 5, and nvl_vbox.box_spacing to -2, and now all the lines look even to me.)
Thanks a lot!

Cart

#11 Post by Cart »

Thanks a lot !