Queer Catboy Love Triangle Disaster! [BxB] Deluxe on Steam?

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
exizel

Re: Queer Catboy Love Triangle Disaster! [BxB] Deluxe on Ste

#31 Post by exizel »

I remembered that game, I didn't expected to enjoy it has much has I did, so I kind of want to see that deluxe version.

Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#32 Post by Rosstin »

If we do a Deluxe version, what kind of features would people be interested in?

What did you like and dislike about the game?

Marchare

#33 Post by Marchare »

I finally got to play the game and oh, cheating and poly-amorous themes are relatively unheard of when it comes to BL games. At first I was afraid Colt and Shane would embody the seme/uke archetypes, but I'm glad that wasn't the case. Couldn't tell you which characters I liked the most, and like tobesomething said Beau doesn't deserves any of these catboys. :p

That said, I'm a bit curious as to what you plan on doing with a Deluxe edition. Kitty Love gives me the feeling of something experimental, the kind of early projects a game devs make in order to get a good grasp of the engine and the process of making a Visual Novel; rather than a finished products meant for commercialization (steam means commercial, right?).

Hence, I'm wondering: what to you guys plan on keeping from the original game?
Are you going to re-make it from scratch, with it's own GUI, re-mastered sprites, backgrounds, text, CGs, everything, or just add new elements in your current installment?
Last edited by Marchare on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

exizel

#34 Post by exizel »

Sorry, I wanted to replay the game before answering
Marchare wrote:I finally got to play the game and oh, cheating and poly-amorous themes are relatively unheard of when it comes to BL games. At first I was afraid Colt and Shane would embody the seme/uke archetypes, but I'm glad that wasn't the case. Couldn't tell you which characters I liked the most, and like tobesomething said Beau doesn't deserves any of these catboys. :p
I agree with Marchare,except that I like Colt the best, the biggest surprise for me was that I expect seme/uke tropes but I was glad to to not see them
Marchare wrote:That said, I'm a bit curious as to what you plan on doing with a Deluxe edition. Kitty Love gives me the feeling of something experimental, the kind of early projects a game devs make in order to get a good grasp of the engine and the process of making a Visual Novel; rather than a finished products meant for commercialization (steam means commercial, right?).

Hence, I'm wondering: what to you guys plan on keeping from the original game?
Are you going to re-make it from scratch, with it's own GUI, re-mastered sprites, backgrounds, CGs, everything, or just add new elements in your current installment?
this,this,this

I don't know what you want to say by deluxe version and so I can't really answer because I don't know if the change I want would be reasonnable or not.

Rosstin
Veteran

#35 Post by Rosstin »

Well, from my perspective, we're a few months away from finishing Queen At Arms which was a huge project. Candidly, much huger than I wanted it to be.

Doing a "deluxe" version of Catboy would basically involve at a minimum:
- Adding drawn backgrounds, as the current version has none
- redoing character sprites to be better
- redoing CGs, adding CGs
- Cleaning up the worst sprites (like the dog, maybe)
- Make a nice UI
- Adding at least one dateable character (although it could be a bit tricky)
- Get feedback from players and do whatever we can do to make it a better game (cleaning up / modifying paths, little things like the title screen, I'd want the poly ending to be more positive, etc)

I guess the bottom line is that I still really like this game and would like it to be spruced up a bit, and I could see us doing that in like 3 months maximum at a pretty relaxed pace, a nice break from all the work that's gone into Queen. And it's really queer in a much more bold-faced way than Queen is, which I like a lot.

Ultimately I want to get a lot of feedback and just make a better more polished game according to what the audience wants, and try to get a wider audience for it. Not that it's a game that is really going to find a huge audience, but I want anyone who is into gay catboys to be aware that it exists at least, haha. ^_^;

Marchare, what do you think would push this from being a little experimental project into being a "commercial" game?

I don't really care particularly about how many units we'd sell or how much we sell it for, I could see us selling it for like $5 or something, less even. I care more about cleaning up something I'm fond of and making sure it has the best version of itself available.

Exizel, what's the change(s) you'd personally like to see?
Last edited by Rosstin on Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaples
Regular
Completed: Christmas Sweaters
Projects: White Lie, Tropichu!

#36 Post by Shaples »

asterazul wrote:I'd want the poly ending to be more positive.
This :D

I don't think I chimed in before, but this was a cute, fun little game; I'd be interested to see what you do with it.

Marchare

#37 Post by Marchare »

asterazul wrote:Marchare, what do you think would push this from being a little experimental project into being a "commercial" game?
I may be biased since this is something I've been working on a lot lately, but I'd say the UI is an important aspect that would make the player tell appart "experimental" from "commercial". Same goes for the transitions/animations/transformations. Doesn't make the story better, but that's one of the first thing the audience gets to see as they launch your game.

I'm all for a more "positive" poly ending too, as long as it doesn't feel like Beau somehow tricked his lovers into doing it.

Rosstin
Veteran

#38 Post by Rosstin »

Yeah one of the things I was thinking was, since the script for this is already done, is I can focus on just coding up nicer UI and stuff.

exizel

#39 Post by exizel »

a lot of what I want has already been said.

-The game is really short, so adding a few scene could be great
-For that type of game(short game with a lot choice) more ending would be best.
-New dateable(s) character(s) would be great :D (more poly ending, ok I'm out :arrow: ).

For some reason, our choices in the flashback affect colt and shane's personality, but it's only a flag for the "shane and colt" ending and the poly ending, it would be great if their personality change the dialogue a little.

Rosstin
Veteran

#40 Post by Rosstin »

Thanks Ex, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I want to tighten everything up, the variables, the writing, the pacing. We're going to do a line-by-line of the whole game and it will help a lot to know what people's experiences are and how to improve them.

Creeper

#41 Post by Creeper »

Who provides the voices in the game? Or rather, the sound effect voices? (Or are they the same?)

Rosstin2
Veteran
Completed: King's Ascent, Kitty Love
Projects: Queen At Arms, Rex Rocket

#42 Post by Rosstin2 »

If we did a Deluxe Edition we'd get better voice actors. Not sure who yet.

Rosstin2
Veteran
Completed: King's Ascent, Kitty Love
Projects: Queen At Arms, Rex Rocket

#43 Post by Rosstin2 »

Oh, the actors themselves were me (Rosstin), the author (Ash), and the programmer (Andrew). No budget, no problem!

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#44 Post by Starshine »

exizel wrote:I remembered that game, I didn't expected to enjoy it has much has I did, so I kind of want to see that deluxe version.
Yes ,me too the characters are "adorable", i remember forwarding this game to a friend but she "never" got around to playing it, she really missed out xD
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?