Confused about Screen-size and Fullscreen scaling. (Solved)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Zathura

Confused about Screen-size and Fullscreen scaling. (Solved)

#1 Post by Zathura »

New here, and with what is probably a dumb question. I tried a general search in this forum for screen size, but returned a lot of technical issues that dealt with any number of screen settings that I know diddly about.

I'm just curious what would be a good resolution to set at the beginning of a project if I want it to be able to switch to fullscreen seamlessly on a wide-format monitor. For instance, the practice project I have now, which is at the default 800 x 600 gets black edges on the sides when I set it to fullscreen, whereas all the VN's I've downloaded to play are able to scale seamlessly and fill the edges of a 16:9 (or comparable) screen, despite having what appears to be an 800 x 600 windowed size upon initial startup.

Is this something to do with the starting resolution, or is it something more in-depth? Are there some things I should keep in mind as far as art assets (say for custom text-boxes) if I intended to include this kind of functionality?

Huge thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond. I'm really trying to buckle down and at least get the basics of Ren'Py, and would love to challenge myself to participate in NaNoReNo next month (ambitious of me, admittedly, lol).
Last edited by Zathura on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Confused about Screen-size and Fullscreen scaling.

#2 Post by PyTom »

I'd suggest using 1280x720 for new projects. (That will be the default in Ren'Py 7.0.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Zathura

Re: Confused about Screen-size and Fullscreen scaling.

#3 Post by Zathura »

Alright, that's one way to fix it, I suppose. Thank you.

I was hoping I was just missing an editable option, or could insert a couple lines of code to get the screen to scale seamlessly, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I guess I'll mark this as solved, then.