bond[Drama][Relationships]["KN"][NaNoRenO2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

bond[Drama][Relationships]["KN"][NaNoRenO2015]

#1 Post by Haze »

The void is a strange place, filled with a strange creature that seems to be a reflection of yourself, and an even stranger being that is always overhead but can never be seen. Of course, you wouldn't know about that-- despite your weeks floating in the void, you have never opened your eyes to the world around you.

Today, that changes.
So, I was on the fence about doing NaNoRenO(because of my long term project), but I'm going to go for it! This is going to be a fairly short game with an emphasis on atmosphere and relationships with the other beings in the void with you. There's only going to be one ending, but how you feel about that ending will likely depend on the choices made during the game.

This is actually a revival of an old project that I outlined for Nar8 jam on itchio, but I wasn't able to finish because I suddenly couldn't use my computer. A lot of things are going to be changed, including details on the outline, and the fact I'm using Ren'py to make this(before, I was using Inform 7).

Also, unlike my previous 3 games, I'm going to be flying solo.

I don't have much to show yet, but here's some art of the void:
untitled3.png
Yes, it's pink. :D

Here's a lighter version.
untitled4.png
I'm not sure if I like the lighter or darker version better, so I'd appreciate your thoughts.

EDIT: Since so many of you like the darker version better, I think I'll be using that one. Thank you all for your input!
Progress
Outline: 100!%
Writing: 75% [Rough draft is complete]
Art: 90%
GUI: 100!%
Music: 75%

Plan
Week 1 Focus: Change details of the very old outline and do GUI. Decide on how much art I want, and where it would be in the game.
Week 2 Focus: Write a rough draft the story, and decide on a final title if I haven't already.
Week 3 Focus: Do the art.
Week 4 Focus: Finish the art. Code the story in the game, and finalize the draft as I do so.
Week 5 Focus(March 29-31): Give everything one final look. Make the music longer if I want/need to.
All Weeks: Music(I do a song every week, and I will make each weekly song this month part of the BGM for this game.
Last edited by Haze on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:30 am, edited 8 times in total.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: bond[tentative title][Drama][Relationships]["KN"]

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Yeah can't wait ❤️ I believe the darker version gives off a more disoriented feel because it's so blurred. If that's what you're going for, I'd pick that one! I have a special affinity to lowercase, simple titles so congrats on that. Good luck!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Oooh. I really like introspective, moody stories, so you've caught my interest! :)

I'm also voting for the darker version of the void. There's more contrast.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#4 Post by AntiquedFae »

This looks really interesting! I love floating in the void type, introspective, otherworldly type stories. They rank high among my favourites. And a third vote for the darker colouration. The hazier, purple-pink is more mysterious and reminds me of a thunderstorm at sunset, while the brighter pink reminds me of...hot pink cotton candy. It's too bright and cheery for the theme in my opinion. I like how you are going with colours for the void though, rather than having it be all black! That's different and I think a smart choice. Less oppressive and frightening that way, more stormy and mysterious...and possibly comforting.
I wish you the best!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Haze
Veteran

#5 Post by Haze »

Guys, thank you so much for the support. I thought there wouldn't be any since the thread kind of sunk overnight, but seeing more than I expected was a very nice surprise. Again, thank you so much!

Since all of you think the darker version is better, I think I'll use it. And all of your reasons for liking it more are, to a certain extent, what I'm going for.
Hazel-Bun wrote:I have a special affinity to lowercase, simple titles so congrats on that. Good luck!

Thanks, Hazel. The title is tentative right now(I'm not sure how well it really fits with the theme; I really want the title to encapsulate a lot of things about the story), but whatever the title ends up being, or if I stick with "bond", it will probably stay lowercase.
Mad Harlequin wrote:Oooh. I really like introspective, moody stories, so you've caught my interest! :)

I'm also voting for the darker version of the void. There's more contrast.
More contrast...! Somehow, I didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing that out.
AntiquedFae wrote:I like how you are going with colours for the void though, rather than having it be all black! That's different and I think a smart choice. Less oppressive and frightening that way, more stormy and mysterious...and possibly comforting
I will say there are a reason for the colors in-game, just so you know. Hope this makes you curious! :lol:

And now, presenting the choice menu!
screenshot0057.png
When the choices are hovered, they fade in and out. I wanted something different from the usual rectangular-list choices, and something that fit the game fairly well, so I took some time to make and code this.:D
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#6 Post by Sapphi »

Just wanted to come in and give my support. I like the direction this seems to be going and look forward to playing. :)

What kind of sound is the music going to have?
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Haze
Veteran

#7 Post by Haze »

Sapphi wrote:Just wanted to come in and give my support. I like the direction this seems to be going and look forward to playing. :)

What kind of sound is the music going to have?
Thanks! I hope the game ends up living up to your expectations. :D

The music is going to be mostly ambient. It's meant to be calming, to set the atmosphere of the story.

Also, I have an update! I did some GUI work today:
ImageImage
(the image on the main menu is probably going to change. I'm also a bit uncertain about the current text color for the buttons on the main menu, too...)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Sapphi »

Haze wrote: Thanks! I hope the game ends up living up to your expectations. :D
I have very few expectations, mostly curiosities. :)
Haze wrote: (the image on the main menu is probably going to change. I'm also a bit uncertain about the current text color for the buttons on the main menu, too...)
Does that color appear in any significant way in any other part of the design or imagery? If not, then it's probably in the best interest of the visual cohesiveness of the work to change it.
— William Faulkner

Haze
Veteran

#9 Post by Haze »

Sapphi wrote:Does that color appear in any significant way in any other part of the design or imagery? If not, then it's probably in the best interest of the visual cohesiveness of the work to change it.
That's something I've been concerned about, as well. I hadn't been able to find a pink(the main GUI colors are pink and white) that would really work on the main menu, though I did find one earlier today! Have a look:
screenshot0060.png
(I recommend clicking on it to see it in fullscreen)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#10 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

This sounds like a really interesting premise! Very mysterious! I think you have a little contrasting issue with your main menu. I think you will either need to expand the circle, lighten the circle or move the buttons to maybe run along the bottom of the screen? Regardless, good luck in making the game! :D

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Sapphi »

Haze wrote: That's something I've been concerned about, as well. I hadn't been able to find a pink(the main GUI colors are pink and white) that would really work on the main menu, though I did find one earlier today! Have a look:
It looks good! I know you said the background image was probably going to change, but I'll just go ahead and second Auro's opinion that the circle is maybe not working so well the way it is. I personally am experiencing one of those optical illusions when I look at the full image. When I try to look around at the menu options it looks like the circle is moving and it makes me dizzy.
— William Faulkner

Haze
Veteran

#12 Post by Haze »

Thanks for your kind words, Auro! I'm definitely going to consider your and Sapphi's advice about changing the circle in some way, but I'll probably really look at it next week, since that's when I'll be finalizing the art direction.

Also, I'll likely post either a music preview or the preferences screen either later today or tomorrow. Stay tuned! :D

Haze
Veteran

Re: bond[tentative title][Drama][Relationships]["KN"][NaNo20

#13 Post by Haze »

And here's the preferences screen! The first song, in full, will be posted tomorrow(I always post my weekly song on Monday).
screenshot0061.png

Haze
Veteran

#14 Post by Haze »

The first song for bond's soundtrack is complete! It's called See, and you can listen to it here!

Since this week's focus is on the rough draft, there aren't going to be many visual updates until next week, when I do the art. In other words, get used to seeing text updates(like these) a lot! Who knows, maybe I'll show a peek of the rough draft, as well. :wink:

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#15 Post by Hazel-Bun »

It's very peaceful :D
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.