Monster [Psychological][Thriller][NaNoRenO 2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Alphas
Projects: Monster

Monster [Psychological][Thriller][NaNoRenO 2015]

#1 Post by Alphas »

monster title 3.jpg
---Introduction---
There were no stars that night.

The billows of smoke coming from the burning town below covered the skies with darkness.
Dead bodies littered the streets of the town. Bodies of men, women, and children.
Nothing was spared from the onslaught of these ruthless killers.

A young man looked on as the scene of carnage and ruin unfolded before him.
He felt nothing at the sight of the destruction of the place he used to call "home".
Looking around, his eyes spotted a familiar figure resting against the walls of a particular building.

"Heh, so you've decided to come back," the man said, smirking.
The young man guessed that he was around his mid-40s.
His breath was heavy, and he had wounds and bruises all over his body.

"Asuka would be disappointed if she saw you right now," he mocked the young man, staring straight into his eyes.
The young man's expression grew dim, "You don't have the right to mention her name."
He drew his gun and pointed its barrel towards the man's head.

This is the story of an ambitious young man.
Who was betrayed by the people he loved.
And abandoned by the society he trusted.

---About---
Hey guys! Sorry, we're kinda late to the party, but we're doing our best so that we can finish the game in time for NaNoRenO.
This is our first time making a visual novel, and we're hoping to develop our skills by participating in this event.
This is also our first time in this community, so we're also hoping to meet new friends who share the passion for visual novels. So please don't hesitate to send us a message!

---Team---
Writing/Programming: Me! :)
Art: PtDiscoismyJam
Music/SFX: Recruiting! Please send us a message if you know anyone who might be interested. Thank you!

---Progress---
Concepts: 100%
Writing: 25%
Coding: 0%
Sprites: 10%
BGs: 0%
Music: 0%

We look forward to working with you all!
Last edited by Alphas on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Alphas

Re: Monster [Psychological][Thriller][NaNoRenO 2015]

#2 Post by Alphas »

Updates!

We're still in dire need of a musician :( , so if you know anyone who might be interested in working with us, please let us know.

The scenes leading to the first choice in the story have already been written. I will begin writing the other parts as soon as I finish eating breakfast. :lol:

Our good friend PtDiscoismyJam, who's in charge of the art, has been pretty busy lately. However, starting tomorrow, he will be posting updates for the sprites and/or the backgrounds. So please look forward to it! :wink:
Last edited by Alphas on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monster| NaNoRenO2015

"This is the story of an ambitious young man.
And abandoned by the society he trusted."

PtDiscoismyJam

#3 Post by PtDiscoismyJam »

Sketching.
mc_concept.png
Just the concept of how we want our MC to look like in the intro scene, I guess.

Alphas

#4 Post by Alphas »

Updates!

Still in dire need of a musician. Is it fine to use CC material for NaNoRenO submissions? :cry:

So far, almost half of the middle parts have been written. I'm not making as much progress as I hoped I would, because I realized that there are a few things I needed to fix in the story. So there's that and the many times I get Writer's Block. :( What do you guys do to overcome this?
Monster| NaNoRenO2015

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#5 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

In the case you don't get a musician/composer, you are allowed to use CC music. There's even a thread with several links to sites you can use. Just be sure to read what kind of CC it is first.

Regarding Writer's Block, sometimes you should close the story, walk away from the computer for a few minutes and do something else. Just come back to it later. However don't wait around waiting for a stroke of inspiration, since everyone only has until the end of the month. (And even if you don't have a deadline, you still won't suddenly get a light bulb for a story you're putting off.) But don't stress yourself out over it either, since it's really more for "fun" and seeing how far you can get.

So in the case you can't think of anything, you just have to force yourself to write. Pick a scene, any scene, and just write. Sometimes that's all you can do when you encounter a block, as my friend told me. I'm sure there are other writers who will have similar advice, and will give other suggestions.

Anyway, good luck!
ImageImageImageImage

Alphas

#6 Post by Alphas »

Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:In the case you don't get a musician/composer, you are allowed to use CC music. There's even a thread with several links to sites you can use. Just be sure to read what kind of CC it is first.

Regarding Writer's Block, sometimes you should close the story, walk away from the computer for a few minutes and do something else. Just come back to it later. However don't wait around waiting for a stroke of inspiration, since everyone only has until the end of the month. (And even if you don't have a deadline, you still won't suddenly get a light bulb for a story you're putting off.) But don't stress yourself out over it either, since it's really more for "fun" and seeing how far you can get.

So in the case you can't think of anything, you just have to force yourself to write. Pick a scene, any scene, and just write. Sometimes that's all you can do when you encounter a block, as my friend told me. I'm sure there are other writers who will have similar advice, and will give other suggestions.

Anyway, good luck!
We're trying our best to find a musician, but it seems like everyone's taken. I only have myself to blame for recruiting this late. Worst case scenario, we will resort to using CC material.

I see. So in this case, taking short breaks every now and then could prove to be a more efficient use of my time. I usually tend to leave the story open for hours, wracking my brain for ideas on what should happen in a particular scene. I guess that wasn't such a good idea. :lol:

Anyways, thank you very much! We'll do our best to make it in time for the deadline. This is our first time doing something like this, so we want to make it count. :D
Monster| NaNoRenO2015

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

#7 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Alphas wrote:I see. So in this case, taking short breaks every now and then could prove to be a more efficient use of my time. I usually tend to leave the story open for hours, wracking my brain for ideas on what should happen in a particular scene. I guess that wasn't such a good idea. :lol:
Also a good thing to do is to listen to music that motivates your creativity, or read a little bit of something that makes you inspired to write. Another good thing that works at least for me, is to do something banal, mow the lawn, shovel snow, sweep, mop, wash dishes, ect, and then I just let my imagination play around with things while I do it, normally my subconscious crafts some good ideas then (I normally listen to music that fuels passions) I tend to imagine things like I was watching a movie/anime, and say what would be cool and interest me if it happened.

Another thing that does help if you are stuck, is to take a nap. Studies that people are most creative when they first wake up because of the dreams they've had, tend to sometimes fuel their creative side. So if you are really stuck, one of the things you might need to do is take a nap, or like Sunlit said a break.

Back when I jammed out 12k in 2 days for a jam. After a few hours of progress, I'd stop and go on a 30 minute walk with my husky (with music playing through my 3ds) and just let my brain imagine the story and then play around with what could happen next that would be interesting or add more tension to the story. And then write some more, then took a nap to recharge my creativity. Writing is exhausting, sometimes you just need a break to recover.

Something else that has been helping me a lot with my NaNo (due to its atmosphere and heavy use of description) if you are stuck on description, step away from the computer and to some place quiet, (I tend to turn the lights off and just lie in my bed) and close your eyes and imagine the scene, what do you see as character? What do you feel? What do you taste? Smell? What about your emotional state? Or changes in the scenery around you?

Breaking away from our world and just imagining and asking questions is a good way to discover your story, so you can write/tell it.

Hope this helps you a little, and good luck with your NaNo!

Alphas

#8 Post by Alphas »

Maelstrom-Fenrir wrote:Also a good thing to do is to listen to music that motivates your creativity, or read a little bit of something that makes you inspired to write.
This is actually something I do very often. Usually, whenever I start writing something, I listen to music that best fits the mood of whatever I'm writing(usually soundtracks from visual novels). :)
Maelstrom-Fenrir wrote:Something else that has been helping me a lot with my NaNo (due to its atmosphere and heavy use of description) if you are stuck on description, step away from the computer and to some place quiet, (I tend to turn the lights off and just lie in my bed) and close your eyes and imagine the scene, what do you see as character? What do you feel? What do you taste? Smell? What about your emotional state? Or changes in the scenery around you?
That's a very interesting practice. I've always had difficulties with describing things in great detail, so maybe doing this will help me out when it comes to descriptive writing.
Maelstrom-Fenrir wrote:Breaking away from our world and just imagining and asking questions is a good way to discover your story, so you can write/tell it.

Hope this helps you a little, and good luck with your NaNo!
Thank you very much! Writing a story is indeed pretty difficult, but I'm hoping to improve my skills as I continue with this project. :D
Monster| NaNoRenO2015

Alphas

#9 Post by Alphas »

Hey guys. Due to unforeseen circumstances, this project will no longer be able to be completed in time for the NaNoRenO submissions. We would like to apologize for not being able to live up to your expectations. Sorry everyone! :cry:

However, please rest assured that this project won't be trashed. It will be continued another day, and released in the near future.
Monster| NaNoRenO2015