Question about recruiting artists?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
inkbrush
Regular

Question about recruiting artists?

#1 Post by inkbrush »

Hi there, lemmasoftians!

I was wondering about if you have a project that you'll need multiple artists (2~3) for but you need the art style to be consistent, how do go about recruiting those artists?

Do you find artists that can adapt their style? Do you look for artists that have a similar-enough style?

How exactly would that work?

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

Re: Question about recruiting artists?

#2 Post by Katta »

The best way to be consistent with multiple artists is to do everything in stages: one artist does linearts and the second one colors them.

inkbrush
Regular

#3 Post by inkbrush »

Oh, wow, that's a great idea. I have no idea why that never came to mind, thank you. :P

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#4 Post by Laniessa »

The stages where style is most evident are usually the sketches and the shading. You could have a main artist who has the style you want and the other artists as supports - them doing the lineart and flat colours, or one for BGs for CGs - as an alternative.

This does depend on the artist’s style though; in my case, I don’t think people can recreate my lineart with my sketches because my sketches are undetailed and my lineart stage is typically a refining stage also.

p.s. @inkbrush: I sent you a PM a while back, but it’s still in my outbox! I think you didn’t notice it?

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#5 Post by fioricca »

The other advantage to recruiting artists by stages is that the artists are less fatigued since their workload is less (they don't have to bother from sketch to touch-ups). I definitely recommend structuring the team around one lead artist and multiple assistant artists, and suggest making sure that the lead artist is the most skilled of the artists you hire. Since the lead artist sets the tone it's important for them to be able to communicate their ideas well, eg zips should look like zips or buckles should look consistent, so that the assistant artists are not confused.

I'm not sure if this method runs you cheaper though ^^";;