---

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DesertFox
Regular
Completed: Over The Hills And Far Away
Projects: My Little Dictator
Organization: WarGirl Games

---

#1 Post by DesertFox »

---
Last edited by DesertFox on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: Over The Hills And Far Away [KN]

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

I think this looks nice, I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Selwyn
Tumblr: charmysketches

Re: Over The Hills And Far Away [KN][Drama][Comedy][History]

#3 Post by Selwyn »

The artwork, especially the concept sketches of Mai are gorgeous and make me want to cosplay her (I'm half Cherokee.) The story is very intriguing. Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to this KN. (,,^_^,,)

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#4 Post by AntiquedFae »

This looks absolutely amazing! Yay for Canadian historic VNs! The sketch of Mai looks gorgeous, as do the backgrounds. I'm definitely looking forward to this!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#5 Post by Mad Harlequin »

This looks like it could be something really engaging!

I have one question, though: Have you checked to confirm if the name Mai is Shawnee? A cursory search led me to one website that stated Mai means "coyote" and is a Native American name, but did not specify a specific tribe. I bring this up because "Native American" is an umbrella term.

In addition, I'm not finding any information about a Shawnee presence in Canada. The tribe's original home apparently encompassed southern Ohio, West Virginia, and southern Pennsylvania, but the Shawnee were driven west by the Iroquois, and further by American settlement. Is it possible you've confused the Shawnee for another Algonquian tribe with roots in Canada?

I'm not an expert, mind you. My question about Mai's name has just led to more questions . . . :?
Last edited by Mad Harlequin on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#6 Post by AntiquedFae »

I was actually wondering about the Shawnee too; I'm Canadian, though from the prairies, but don't remember hearing anything about the Shawnee in Canada even with all the studying about the War of 1812. I'm also not an expert, but I can probably help you with this if you need it because of having enough Canadian history drilled into me, and having quite a few resources available. Maybe you meant the Sioux? They had quite a bit to do with the War.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Mad Harlequin »

The Shawnee leader Tecumseh, who opposed the United States, became an ally of Britain in the War of 1812.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#8 Post by Hazel-Bun »

The points brought up are very true. It would do you well to maybe reveal more of her backstory. I knew the Shawnee were in America, but don't know enough about Canada or Britian to judge from here.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

DesertFox
Regular

---

#9 Post by DesertFox »

---
Last edited by DesertFox on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Mad Harlequin »

DesertFox wrote:The name Mai is not specific to any particular tribe, as far as I know. There were a few options to pick from, but I ultimately opted for Mai because it sounded rather cute and mysterious.
But, see, that's an assumption. I only came across Mai in a Native American name list after a lot of searching (and on a website whose veracity I cannot confirm), whereas the name is definitely established as one that exists in Japan and Vietnam on a site I know I can trust. So I have my doubts about the existence of a Shawnee analogue, or even about it existing within another tribe's language.

Obviously you're free to do as you please, but since you're writing a historical piece, it would be great if your character could have a Shawnee name. And there's something else to consider: would you want your culture to be represented so casually? I don't have any Native American roots, but I think if I were Shawnee, I would raise an eyebrow. It's the same thing as, say, calling all East Asians the same.
Mai has been separated from her family by the recent war. Much of the story really takes place in Michigan Territory, following the Battle of Thames in Chatham-Kent.
Fair enough.
— Mark Twain

DesertFox
Regular

---

#11 Post by DesertFox »

---
Last edited by DesertFox on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Mad Harlequin »

DesertFox wrote:It's ultimately a work of fiction, even if it has a basis within a historical setting. With the character design, the naming, I went for an aesthetic over historical accuracy. You may find that offensive; I'm personally not too worried about doing it. I wouldn't have another project about WW2 dictators as cute girls if I worried about these things. I don't really mind too much about culture being casually represented. It happens all the time with British representations. All I really want to do is tell stories. And I think you might be overreacting with the race thing. I think if you use that logic, the majority of games produced on this forum would be considered offensive with all their Japanese highschool-settings and girls named 'Mio' and 'Rei' and the like.
Look, you can call it overreacting if you want. I was just trying to be helpful.
— Mark Twain

DesertFox
Regular

#13 Post by DesertFox »

Mad Harlequin wrote:Look, you can call it overreacting if you want. I was just trying to be helpful.
No, I understand, and I wasn't trying to be harsh. Just being frank and honest :) Thank you for the feedback. It's important to discuss these things and see how people feel about them.
Last edited by DesertFox on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#14 Post by Rinima »

This looks good! Looking forward to it :)
The art is especially good, mostly the CG by the looks of it.
Small comment on the name thing: I though Mai was an American name? Were's the problem?

EDIT:
As for Mai's design, I personally prefer the one on the left.
Last edited by Rinima on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

ColaCat
Veteran

#15 Post by ColaCat »

I love the concept art! Particularly the one on the right, it looks much more...right? (*swears never to explain anything again*)