Love/Hate relationship with being a dev?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

Love/Hate relationship with being a dev?

#1 Post by Dylan_Bain »

Yeah rubbish title, I know. If you have ever read any of my other posts, you will know they have rubbish titles too.

Anyway, I was just wondering, what are your favorite parts of being a game developer, coder, writer or artist? I would say that my favorite parts are the fact you can be so free with what you are doing. No one is holding you back from what you can achieve. My least favorite part would be the same as my favorite--- no one is telling you what to do. You have to work it out all your self, and although I don't always mind, it can be stressful when I am not in a creative mood!

What about you guys?

Dylan Bain :o
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

Re: Love/Hate relationship with being a dev?

#2 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Well my most favorite part is of course that I'm involved in creating something (in this case a game) that will be played/enjoyed by other people. Also I'll be able to work with others who share the same interest and passion in making the game!
Oh and also if one of my ideas can become a real usable thing.

For the part that I dislike, sometimes others will lose motivation when making the game, or the worst is when I lost my motivation to draw when they lost theirs... it'll be an endless circle, or not endless if the game project ended up to be canceled.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I can't say I consider myself a developer yet. I'm just a writer. But I enjoy crafting stories, and I'm excited for the day when I can point to something like a VN and say, "I helped make this!"
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

ChillTaco
Regular

#4 Post by ChillTaco »

I hate the entire thing. Making Sprites hurts my hands. Teams are fickle. Once you lose your team you gota learn something new. GOD I hate learning.... but still, I wana know if people would like the random things I think up. I think they are good, Like I WOULD play that game good. So I think I want something like that to exist. Then I realise I cant make it happen and I have to settle for meh.

Still, the idea of others liking my ideas the same way I do makes it worth it.... occasionally.

kino-san
Regular
Completed: Amongst the Seasons
Projects: A whole load of ideas in my head..
Organization: None as of yet..
Deviantart: kino-san

#5 Post by kino-san »

Being a hobby artist turning into a lone developer. I can say the positives is that I am much more creative and productive with CGs, sprites and even making/editing backgrounds, GUI design along with wallpapers (which is something I never did before.) I have taught myself to actually do basic renpy programing by myself so I am quite proud that I did it enough to make a demo prototype (to the point I boast to others that I am making a game). An idea I had for a long time may finally come true, which is exciting. Making my VN game has made me so attached to my characters. I really want to at least convert one of my ideas into a game before I die, so I can look back and say that I made a game by myself.

The negatives though..is mainly self-esteem and motivation. Making a game comes with responsibility, I am actually scared when I do finally finish my VN that either no one will play it or that people will heavily criticize and make fun of my game. I understand I need criticism but I can't handle bad/negative criticism, it would depress me a lot. I am a person who gets easily depressed. Since I am the most unluckiest, unpopular and shy artist in this side of the internet. I don't get much support and attention from others, in addition I am not working in a team. It does feel lonely making a game by yourself with little support or help. I post updates on my VN and requests to play the demo and I get very little feedback. This really decreases my motivation in making a game (please understand I am not writing this to get attention on my VN game I am just writing out my feelings to make me feel better, if my VN is not getting attention then it isn't. There could be many reasons for it not getting attention like it's BL, the art is not good or people don't want to play a demo and want to play a finished game in which I should finish it, or people just like to lurk around and are shy like me).

This is how I feel as of now, of course I ignore the negatives and work on my VN everyday because the positives easily overcomes the negatives. Whew that felt long (also accuse me for any lack of punctuation.)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Mad Harlequin »

kino-san wrote:Since I am the most unluckiest, unpopular and shy artist in this side of the internet. I don't get much support and attention from others, in addition I am not working in a team. It does feel lonely making a game by yourself with little support or help.
Have you considered blogging about your game? At the very least, you'll get your feelings out, but you can also use it for advertising. In many ways, we must make our own luck.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#7 Post by YossarianIII »

I like how Renpy lets me pretend I'm a programmer. :D

I don't know Python and use only the most basic transitions, variables, UI modifications, etc. But Editra makes me feel like I am a golden god of computers and that my haphazardly indented dialogue is actually a work of Alan Turing-level technological wizardry. It's kind of like how using the number pad on a keyboard makes me feel like an accountant or wearing a cummerbund makes me feel like James Bond.

Yeah, I suppose the feeling of self-actualization that comes with creativity and other nonsense like that comes into play... but I think the main thing I love is that I was an English major with computer envy, and now I can pretend to be good at both. 8)

Image Image

kino-san
Regular
Completed: Amongst the Seasons
Projects: A whole load of ideas in my head..
Organization: None as of yet..
Deviantart: kino-san

#8 Post by kino-san »

Mad Harlequin wrote:
kino-san wrote:Since I am the most unluckiest, unpopular and shy artist in this side of the internet. I don't get much support and attention from others, in addition I am not working in a team. It does feel lonely making a game by yourself with little support or help.
Have you considered blogging about your game? At the very least, you'll get your feelings out, but you can also use it for advertising. In many ways, we must make our own luck.
Yes I have made a website and a blog for the game, I don't blog often as I don't really have much to say. When I feel I have reached a milestone or done something new worthy of an update I update. I really should just stop moaning and get on with it.
YossarianIII wrote:I like how Renpy lets me pretend I'm a programmer. :D

I don't know Python and use only the most basic transitions, variables, UI modifications, etc. But Editra makes me feel like I am a golden god of computers and that my haphazardly indented dialogue is actually a work of Alan Turing-level technological wizardry. It's kind of like how using the number pad on a keyboard makes me feel like an accountant or wearing a cummerbund makes me feel like James Bond.

Yeah, I suppose the feeling of self-actualization that comes with creativity and other nonsense like that comes into play... but I think the main thing I love is that I was an English major with computer envy, and now I can pretend to be good at both. 8)
I feel like a programmer with renpy when I actually not as well. Coding in renpy makes me feel like I am a director of my own game picking out locations, typing the characters dialogue and drawing their expressions and then directing them on what to say and how to feel. It's really fun.

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#9 Post by Rossfellow »

Love: Being able to talk about stories with close friends and show them what I've made, and they would share their own.
Hate: Those other friends whose first question is "So, are you successful yet?"
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Rossfellow wrote:Hate: Those other friends whose first question is "So, are you successful yet?"
Those are friends? :?
— Mark Twain

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#11 Post by Rossfellow »

Mad Harlequin wrote:
Rossfellow wrote:Hate: Those other friends whose first question is "So, are you successful yet?"
Those are friends? :?
Until recently, yes.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#12 Post by thebackup »

I have to admit the process of creating a VN is long and tedious (depending on the content / goals). And my fickle work schedule can drain me of energy to work on the project.

But I remind myself of the joys of working on the project, it's one of the things that drive me to finish it :D

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#13 Post by truefaiterman »

I'm not sure if I count as a developer, since I only made a short KN in 24 hours, but so far... the experience was painful and I had a lot of hardships in that day, and I actually spent the whole next day very tired and stressed...

But damn, I look at that little piece of ***** and I REGRET NOTHING.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

DrivenByTheWind

#14 Post by DrivenByTheWind »

I would have to say for me... as a creative director I enjoy being able to bring people together to work on a project that we are all passionate about. I love having the ability to inspire others to work on what they truly love and motivate them to push themselves past their limits to improve upon their work. Most of all it would have to be the sense of camaraderie you share with your team. And once you achieve your goal and release your game, the product of all of that hard work and effort will pay off. As a writer, I enjoy living inside of the world in my head and watching other people get lost in that world, too, a world that you gave them... it will be well worth the struggle, my friend.

Keep strong and carry on. :)

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#15 Post by teacup »

I love being creative. I love that making a VN allows me to mix writing, drawing, and programming all into one awesome product. I love it when I struggle and struggle to make something work and spend hours on a code and then BAM, it suddenly works perfectly, bringing my vision to life. But most of all, I love it when other people are excited about my projects! It's like, wow, these people actually like this thing that I'm making? I have fans? B-but, I'm just a normal person! So weird, yet awesome!

This, too:
YossarianIII wrote:Editra makes me feel like I am a golden god of computers and that my haphazardly indented dialogue is actually a work of Alan Turing-level technological wizardry. It's kind of like how using the number pad on a keyboard makes me feel like an accountant or wearing a cummerbund makes me feel like James Bond.
As for what I hate... well, that trial and error period of getting a code to work is really frustrating. Spending hours on art only for people to say it looks bad/fix this (not that I don't appreciate the critique, it just hurts a little ^^;). Showing an awesome update... and no one responds! It's like, I see you looking at my thread. Why you no comment? I thought we were friends! (Totally being a hypocrite by the way, there are so many games I look forward to that I watch quietly from afar).

But all that aside, being a game dev is awesome and I mostly love it. :D