ToA: Seasons Of The Wolf (RPG/all combos)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: ToA: Seasons Of The Wolf (RPG/all combos)

#16 Post by jack_norton »

I've made a preview video for the game DLC, in beta now, showing the contents/features. It contains spoilers from the base game! If you finished it, is safe to watch :)

More info here: http://www.winterwolves.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3610
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#17 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

Impressive. Congrats, Jack ! if you need a story/plot writer, I'm available for free (well, not 100% free.. a full reg game is a fair hiring fee ;) )

out of curio, how do you get isometric tiles with Ren'py ?

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#18 Post by jack_norton »

I custom coded that screen with the isometric tiles. With screen language you can do a lot of things nowadays :)
computer games

Lisistrata

#19 Post by Lisistrata »

About the base game.
Since I'm bad at giving reviews in foreign languages, I'll just outline things that rubbed me the wrong way and things that I actually appreciated. And while it certainly would be fairer to abstract from my previous experience with "Loren" while evaluating this game, I can't find the strength to do so. I can't help comparing the two. Though I understand the focus is different this time.
Can I be frank? I probably shouldn't, but can I?
"-": The father's reaction to his child being handed over to slavers is certainly off. And it is hardly explained later on.
"-": There are limited opportunities to talk to the companions - hence limited opportunities to develop friendships and more. And, honestly, this is the most frustrating feature so far.
"-": The ending, though anticlimatic, is (on the whole) all right, but Chalassa's reasoning is astoundingly illogical. (I understand she is posessed, but... common sence... she should still have it, right?)
"-": Drawing of backgrounds (maybe it's just me, but they look slightly less detailed, with less accurate shading than those in "Loren")
The following three points are highly subjective:
1) Riley's romance epilogue. No, It's fine, just not what I'd prefer.
2) Jariel's sprite (as a LI for Althea).
3) I just wish there were alternatives...
Now on to more pleasant things:
"+": Music.
"+": Maybe it's just nostalgia for "Lauren," but I was incredibly moved by such trifles as familiar interface icons for items in the inventory, and sprites.
"+": Length of the game. For me, longer game is always better, so long as it is not dull.
"+": Plot-wise, it is just the thing. I love it all. The mishap with the wolf cub, the slavery, the escape, the return... though, honestly, the last part wasn't all that thrilling. But still.
"+": Our sibling (or should I say, the other protagonist) stays by our side rather than disappear from the game once the choice is made.
"+": I can play as a mage!!! Or a druid. Whatever. So long as I can cast spells. And wear nice robes.
"+": Speaking of robes... Wardrobe. Yes, the protagonist and other significant NPCs change clothes. Joy!
"+": It's easier to die in battle now.
"+": More lore. New races. New cultures.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by jack_norton »

Hehe no problem about being blunt :)
The limited chances to talk with companion was sort of forced. It wasn't possible to develop a game with longer interaction AND bigger gameplay in the same amount of time as Loren, so I had to pick one.
But in future, I'll put the focus again on relationship (both romance and friendship) and characters interaction, since it's what people really want from my VN/RPGs :)
computer games