Somnus [KN] [Romance/Drama] [NaNoRenO 2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
PyroOgre
Projects: Somnus (N15)
Organization: Vermillion Concepts
IRC Nick: PyroOgre

Somnus [KN] [Romance/Drama] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#1 Post by PyroOgre »

Where am I?

Apollo, a simple, calm man, finds himself tossed into a dream world, one which is none other than his own. The story deals with him entering the dream world, him attempting to come to terms with this development, as well as the appearance of a mysterious woman who appears to him and seems to know him all too well.

Who is she?

The two embark on the journey of understanding the dream world, as well as each other. But not all dreams last forever, as the two learn soon enough. As they come to their own realizations about the dream world, one begins looking for a way out, while the other looks within themselves.

Is there a way out?

Apollo is a family man whose journey into the dream world has awakened a curiosity within him. Wanting to know more about the world, he is inquisitive and not afraid to ask questions. Despite that nature, he has a tendency to jump to conclusions, wanting a fitting story in his mind rather than face a more confusing truth.

Kokori is a resident of the dream world, or perhaps the ruler of it, if one can rule a world that only they are in. Sweet and caring to a fault, she immediately takes Apollo under her wing, wanting to show him what the dream world has to offer - within her own limits, anyway.

The two above are the only main characters, though there may be room for expansion if desired. Projected length is about an hour, maybe 1.5 hours. I'll know for certain once the voices are done.

Progress:
Writing: 100%
Art: 20%
GUI and Programming: 30%
Music and SFX: 60%
Voices: 5%
Testing: Let's do the above first
Last edited by PyroOgre on Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Somnus [KN] [Drama] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#2 Post by Googaboga »

Cool. Dream worlds are a really nice setting, so many possibilities and interesting ways to go. I'm looking forward to seeing where Apollo's goes. Good luck :>.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

PyroOgre

Re: Somnus [KN] [Romance/Drama] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#3 Post by PyroOgre »

Thanks! Dream worlds can be great if done right (and if using it as a cop-out for the plot is avoided). So far it's coming along fairly well. I already have the climax and the ending fleshed out in my head, so now it's just making sure the rest of the story is also compelling.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#4 Post by KittyKatStar »

Congrats on the 2k word count! I love dream-themed games, and I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Best of luck and happy Nanoing =)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#5 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I agree that the dreamworld setting is intriguing! I also look forward to seeing the art for the game (what can I say, I'm into graphics XD). Good luck on working on your game!

PyroOgre

#6 Post by PyroOgre »

Thanks; I'm hoping to get at least the images of the two characters up soon. Concept art is ready to go but I'd rather wait until the finished look before I put them up here.

As for a short update, the script and art is progressing fine, the Ren'Py programming less so, but I'm learning how to do that on the fly during "writer's block" moments so I'm not wasting too much of the month.

PyroOgre

#7 Post by PyroOgre »

A short update: script continues to progress, and I went ahead and uploaded where the most recent character sketches, so you guys can put a couple names to faces.

PyroOgre

#8 Post by PyroOgre »

Weekly update:
Script is progressing, albeit slowly. Rather than rushing through to get it done I'm rewriting while adding new content, hence the word count moving a lot more slowly recently. I've gotten most of the music tracks selected and/or modified, and the sound effects won't take much longer either. So really, once the script is done that's half the battle, since then it'll be up to the art and voice acting to be tackled while I program everything in.

Suffice to say this won't be done in March, but I'm confident that I can release a polished product in the coming months.

To get you all something besides my own words though, here's a sample of a track that will play early on, as the two of them meet and begin to know each other: https://instaud.io/5Uc

PyroOgre

#9 Post by PyroOgre »

Good news and bad news.
Bad news is that I'm not getting a demo up and running by the end of Nanoreno. Good news is the script is done, barring any tweaks and expansions I might make as the other work is being processed. Not quite the 20k words I was shooting for, but it's long enough to hit all the points I wanted to hit and establish the character development I wanted.

I also spent the better part of today tweaking the logo trying to give it more of a "dream world" feel. Or I could work on more of the GUI instead of trying to make the perfect logo.

PyroOgre

#10 Post by PyroOgre »

So, I didn't listen to my above post at all, and instead indeed tried to make the ideal logo this past week. Purposely a bit blurry to get you into the dream world state. The solid one that was originally there? I'll make that the logo upon the game being played. As long as I don't change my mind yet again we're good to go there.

Meanwhile, the art and interface is progressing, and the effects and music are mostly ready to go, it's just a matter of making sure everything fits. Once I can begin plugging in the character sprites development will move at a much quicker pace, unfortunately the next week or two will be a slow period.

PyroOgre

#11 Post by PyroOgre »

In a more unfortunate update, things have stalled on the art front, which is what I was trying to get caught up before proceeding any further. As a result if anyone reading this is willing, I could use a sprite artist for the couple characters above.