Genius Insanity [VN][Mystery/Drama]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
VAPMichaelaLaws
Regular
Completed: Check Signature!
Projects: Check Signature!
Organization: Seraphim Entertainment
Tumblr: thebunnyofevil

Genius Insanity [VN][Mystery/Drama]

#1 Post by VAPMichaelaLaws »

Genius Insanity
A Short Visual Novel by Michaela Laws

“Always find the truth. No matter how painful or destructive it is, you must always seek out the truth.”

PREMISE
Penelope Lee is a freelance detective for the Chicago Police. Multiple times, she has been the lead detective behind the force’s toughest cases and solved all of them at insanely brilliant speed. However, she has a dark secret..
Penelope has Multiple Personality Disorder.
She has 3 other girls helping her in her mind; Opel, Lene, and Noel. They all sit in her mind and solve cases like a team and, even though they each can be triggered to take over Penelope’s body at the most inconvenient of times, Penelope has learnt to live with that.
What Penelope wants to know is WHY they exist.
Can Penelope find the truth? Will she solve the latest murder case at the same time?

Will the truth destroy her?

CHARACTERS
  • Penelope Lee (CV: Michaela Laws) - A girl with extraordinary and endless smarts, but one problem: she has 3 other personalities sharing her body. She, herself, is calculating and humble. Another, Opel, is cocky and rough. The third, Noel, is shy and rather sweet. The last, Lene, is seductive and charming.
  • Derrick Watts (CV: Jonah Scott) - Penelope’s best friend, who knows all about her personality disorder. Is actually in a relationship with Lene, despite loving all of her personalities. Supportive, but usually has to be quick to react, depending if a personality takes over randomly.
  • Corporal Rhonda (CV: Cayla Martin) - A hard ass head detective of the police force. She absolutely despises Penelope and wants to ban her from any ‘detective’ work, but doesn’t do anything about it. A hard ass, obviously, but Rhonda has a couple of valid points once in a while.
  • Doctor Alexia Horn (CV: Camille Ruley) - A therapist specialized in Dissociative Identity Disorder, which Penelope has. She continues to try and research how to meld the personalities together, often failing. Sweet and sincere to Penelope, she is a professional doctor.
FEATURES
2 Potential Endings
Custom GUI
Original Soundtrack
Voice Over
Point-and-Click Mystery

CREATIVE TEAM
-Writer/Producer/Director/Artist - Michaela Laws
-Composer - Michael Kelly

ESTIMATED LENGTH: 3-4 Hours Of Gameplay
ESTIMATED RELEASE DATE: TBD

----------
PROGRESS
Writing - 20%
Art - 10%
Programming - 20%
Music - 80%
Voice Over - 5%

Sketches by Michaela Laws

ImageImage
Penelope and Derrick Concepts
Main Menu GUI

This has not yet been rated; however, there will be references to sexual abuse, violence, and psychological trauma.

---
Note from writer-
Hey! This is a visual novel that has been in the works almost as long as Seduce Me has. However, compared to SM, this is a smaller project and will not be kickstarted! This will be completely done self-produced by myself (Michaela Laws) under my own production line of VNs. Unlike Seduce Me, this game will be much more serious and delve into something that I've really wanted to write about and research (this VN gave me the inspiration and excuse to research multiple personality disorder). I hope to make this game as accurate as possible when it comes to the reality of the disorder and I do not wish to insult anyone because of my choice to us the disorder as the main topic.

Thank you! - Michaela Laws
Last edited by VAPMichaelaLaws on Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Voice Actress | Singer | Writer | Producer | Director
http://www.michaelaamandalaws.com/
--------
Completed Projects: My Teacher (NaNoReno2013), Pizz'Amore, My Lady, Our School Love (Otome Audio CD), Our Honeymoon (Otome Audio CD), Seduce Me, Maid With Perfection (NaNoReno2015), Blind Love (ILUjam 2015), Love And Romance: A Study Of Intimacy, Seduce Me 2: The Demon War, Remember, Remember
Projects Still In Production: All For You

VAPMichaelaLaws
Regular

Re: Genius Insanity [VN][Mystery/Drama]

#2 Post by VAPMichaelaLaws »

Short Demo is now available!
WINDOWS/PC
MAC
LINUX

Notes for Demo 1.0:
-15-25 minutes of story
-No Sprites (YET!)
-GUI is complete
-Voice Acting for Demo is complete

Demo Voice Over Cast:
Penelope Lee - Michaela Laws
Derrick Watts - Jonah Scott
Corporal Rhonda - Cayla Martin
Doctor Alexia Horn - Camille Ruley
WGN News Reporter - John Daniel Depa
Reporters - Daniel Sipiora, Patrick Seymour, and Christopher Escalante

---

Feedback is definitely appreciated! Despite it being a short demo, it tells as much of the story as I believe it should for a demo.
--------
Completed Projects: My Teacher (NaNoReno2013), Pizz'Amore, My Lady, Our School Love (Otome Audio CD), Our Honeymoon (Otome Audio CD), Seduce Me, Maid With Perfection (NaNoReno2015), Blind Love (ILUjam 2015), Love And Romance: A Study Of Intimacy, Seduce Me 2: The Demon War, Remember, Remember

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#3 Post by Godline »

Love the art, interesting so far, so I'll have to check out the demo soon. :)

lockpicklogic
Regular

#4 Post by lockpicklogic »

This looks very interesting, though somewhat sad.
The weak resistance Penelope put up against going to see Dr. Horn felt a little odd for someone who seems very logic-based and self-assured (I was probably expecting her to either be firm or not even resist), but then, her circumstances are very unusual.
Anyway, I love Opel :D
*Patiently waiting for updates*

"BUT MY CUPCAKE!"
Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.
-- Clementine Paddelford --

Noire
Regular
Projects: Mirage Noir

#5 Post by Noire »

Looks great! I really like Rhonda's concept :)

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#6 Post by Ferdokki »

This sounds cool. B) I love cop stuff!
I also like the unique aspect of Penelope having Multiple Personality Disorder and still being a detective. Very cool! ;)
I'll be keeping up with this!

VAPMichaelaLaws
Regular

#7 Post by VAPMichaelaLaws »

Heyo! I figured why not release an update about this work.

There will be a change in artists =3 Camille is working on a lot (WHICH YOU ALL SHOULD SUPPORT HER FOR) so I have decided to step up and make this project artistically on my own (sprites, screen shots, BGs, the works). I’ve gotten a little confident in my skills so it’s a matter of making it work.

That being said, Genius Insanity will be very slow coming. I may have some GI streams to stream draw the sprites and what not randomly in the future but I’m gunna go almost Katawa Shoujo on this.

I've posted samples of the main character Penelope and her best friend Derrick as test sketches =)

That’s all for now!
--------