❤ Cute Demon Crashers! ❤ [GxB/GxG][18+][NaNoRenO 2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: ❤ Cute Demon Crashers! ❤ [GxB/GxG][18+][NaNoRenO 2015]

#76 Post by teacup »

Rozume wrote:@teacup
Everyone's experiences are different. In my experience, my partner didn't need to ask for my consent all the time because he knew I trusted him. And if there was something I wasn't okay with, he knew I'd tell him. I personally don't think constant reassurance is necessary in life, but that's just my opinion.
Yes you're right! I just thought it fit well in this game, since it's your first time and you don't know the demons very well at all or have any reason to trust them, if that makes sense. Also, I only played Akki's route, and with it being his first time as well, that awkwardness/constant need for reassurance made sense to me in that context. I don't know what the other sex scene was like. Sorry if I didn't get that across too well!

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#77 Post by Samu-kun »

I very quickly ran through it.

I was very impressed with the code. A custom function just for displaying character sprites? It was pretty high technical stuff and I don't really understand how it works, but it was impressive.

I was confused though why the same system was implemented for the CGs. I don't really see any benefits to cutting up the characters by joints and superimposing layers on top of each other for CGs. I thought the super-imposition of layers made the characters' joints/boobs look disconnected. Maybe the traditional scene cg_[name] method would be better for CGs.

Or are you planning limited joint animation in the CGs? That would be impressive too.

Cheratomo
Regular
Completed: Asagao Academy: Normal Boots Club, Solstice, A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: [Game in Progress], A Year Abroad, Entrepreneur Simulator
Organization: Illus Seed
Tumblr: cheratomo

#78 Post by Cheratomo »

I liked the constant "are you okay?" and felt was in-character, especially for someone who is inexperienced and with a new partner, as they don't have the established trust two people in a relationship might. The choices themselves didn't bother me either. They'd have bothered me more if I just wanted to see the scene straight to the end, but as I was considering it each time they asked, it worked at a good pace for me. Perhaps a way to maneuver around this for people who dislike the interruptions, however, is to have an option to disable the consent menus. The characters could still ask and answer the questions, but it would be a natural conversation without the choice screen interruptions.

I enjoyed this game a lot, as well as the handling of consent. As someone who has had almost no consentual sexual experiences, I found it really helpful to have a model for what a healthy, caring, and positive consentual experience looks like. Everyone has different tastes, and I'm glad this was here to serve mine. ^-^

I really liked the way the character animations were coded, although how exactly it was done boggles my mind. I'd be interested in learning more about that. I thought occasionally the amount of animation on the screen could get distracting, with people stepping forward and backward so much, especially as I read fast, but I see the necessity as there was nothing other than nametags to differentiate who was talking. I think there must be a happy medium somewhere.

Pudding Fluff
Regular
Projects: Cute Demon Crashers
Organization: Sugar Script
Tumblr: SugarScript

#79 Post by Pudding Fluff »

@Samu-kun:
I have NO idea how that sprite system works myself! Our core programer is a very experienced Python user and coded a lot of custom things for us!
They are going to release the code open source later and possibly explain how it works so everybody can use it :)

The CGs are like that as an experiment! Since it was a NaNo and I planned to have a few CGs (that I obviously didn't have time to make, or the game would be released with all characters ^^; ) I thought it would be interesting to have a system like this! While it was time consuming to code, it wasn't as time consuming to draw as it could have been. Downside is that they don't have transitions (yet!)
But yes, I agree the arms/shoulders in particular look quite strange.

It was also to save space, as (for example) 30+ fullscreen CG versions for Akki's first CG would have occupied quite a big amount of space! (I know some games do this and people don't mind, but I personally do, haha).

@cheratomo:
Thank you! we're really happy this game was a positive experience for you :)

-----------------------------

Thanks for your feedback everybody!
We're considering grey-ing out the Stop button instead of hiding it when it's disabled during the scenes, and possibly having a Consent toggle for 2nd play through, so if you went to the route once and want to see the scene from beginning to end without choices with the choices you already made on the first play through, (while still having the stop button), you could :)

So keep your feedback coming! ^__^

Bunnix
Tumblr: cr0w-s

#80 Post by Bunnix »

Hello! Feels weird since everyone here is giving back their feedback or comments, but I had a question that is really stumping me :? So when I downloaded it, everything was fine and I opened it with 7-zip. But when I click on the application to play it, a pop up message appears: "Could not execute something something something something - Akki and Mirari.exe. Is it missing?"
I really want to play this and was so excited in playing it, so I would really appreciate it if someone would help me with this ;-;

killdream
Veteran
Projects: EVūL (WIP), insilo (WIP), Cute Demon Crashers!
Deviantart: robotlolita
Github: robotlolita

#81 Post by killdream »

@samu-kun
The StateMachineDisplayable thing basically works like this:

- there are a set of possible states in which the displayable can be (such as eyes-open, eyes-closed, etc.). It's very similar to how ConditionSwitch works, but the state is controlled by the displayable itself rather than external variables. And it also allows one to define a transition when changing from one state to another, which plays until the next interaction.

- the current state is stored by Renpy in a special variable so it works with rollback and stuff (because renpy doesn't save changes to an objects state, only replacing store variables)

- SMD only deals with a single displayable, like condition switch. To deal with a collection of SMDs there's CompositeSprite( or ComposedSprite?). It works like LiveComposite, in that it allows one to compose multiple SMDs in a single displayable, but it also allows one to change the state of each of those parts easily (mostly to avoid repetition and reduce the likelihood of synchronization bugs).

I'm going to release the commented source with examples and stuff shortly (probably next week?) and will happily answer any questions about it. Sorry if the explanation is confusing and badly organised btw I'm on my phone now D:

yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

#82 Post by yuucie »

I've been looking forward to this game since the start of Nano!

I played it, and I really enjoyed it. I especially like the insights into what their lifestyles are like, and I appreciated the portrayal of healthy relationships: letting people know in advance of your sexual preferences (Orias), teaching how BDSM is not meant to be abusive, and of course, the consent driven nature of the scenes (it may seem weird, but I like the stop button. Even if I didn't feel the need to use it, it was always good to feel like it was an option).
I personally have always been afraid of letting people down, so saying stop has always been a problem for me. Thank you for showing players that it's their right to say no, and the fear of letting people down shouldn't be more powerful than that. I like how saying no was handled; there was no big fuss over it, Akki tried to ask if he did something wrong so that he'll know what made Claire uncomfortable, etc.
I feel like a lot of otome games just fade out the bed scenes and leave it up to the player's imagination, which is fine, but I like that this game took a different approach and showed what a healthy relationship should be like. No drama, full communication and trust. And I truly appreciate that. Thank you for making this; I am looking forward to Orias because he is a lover of tea and books like me!

Some things to report on:

- The icon for the game didn't export properly, and it's still the renpy default icon.

- "...and I sip my tea with a guilty conscious" this should be conscience.

Atavia

#83 Post by Atavia »

This game is so cute! I wish I could see more 18+ games like this. I really loved Akki, he was so adorable. I can't wait to see the full version. You can tell that a lot of love was put into this game, and I've already replayed it a few times to see all the options.

Vinyl

#84 Post by Vinyl »

I really love how you portrayed a healthy, adult relationship. And the inclusion of mature content was great - I appreciated having the ability to toggle it on and off, though I personally left it on. It's great to see an otome game that has 18+ material that isn't fade-to-black.

CDC is an impressive game given the amount of time available, and I hope to see more from the team in the future!

(Kudos to Pudding Fluff, Mint Cookie, and Chocolate Berry for the art! It was lovely.)

Pudding Fluff
Regular

#85 Post by Pudding Fluff »

@Bunnix: did you manage to run it? it seems some people are getting missing files because of their antivirus. We're running a complete scan right now to make sure everything's clean.

@yuucie: Thank you for playing it! And we're glad you liked it ;v;
We were told about the icon issue, but we don't really know how to fix it as of now D: We'll make sure to have it fixed when the full game is out!
EEP! Thanks for reporting that typo! >O<
Hopefully, you'll like Orias's scene when it's out! :D

@Atavia: Thank you very much! Akki is a cute dork and we love him <3 And thanks for taking the time to replay it! the game is ver short in one play through, but there are the other character daily scenes and the dialog variations depending on what to choose on the intimate scenes, so it was a lot of effort :)

@Vinyl: Thank you! We're happy people are enjoying our take on sex scenes, even if they're not really "hot" like you'd expect from a 18+ game.
And we're so happy with the work of everybody on our team! Everybody did an amazing job, and we're glad people notice ;v;

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#86 Post by philip »

Downloaded and played this last evening - a couple of times, to try all the various choices. A nice story, dealing with a serious subject in a straightforward manner. Found it to be very enjoyable.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Angel Sighs

#87 Post by Angel Sighs »

I'm having a slight bug with the game? the conversation box glitches out a bit, so a whole chunk in the middle dissappears, though the writing is still there. am I the only one experiencing this?

Pudding Fluff
Regular

#88 Post by Pudding Fluff »

@philip: thanks for playing and glad you enjoyed it! :D

@Angel Sighs: Somebody else has this problem on tumblr!
It seems to be a video card issue, but here's how you can solve it:
http://miyo101.tumblr.com/post/11587022 ... is-problem
Hope that helps! :D

--------------------

I'm going to crosspost this bit from our tumblr, about what we have planned to include on the full release, to happen by the end of April.

Things that we were going to include in this release but decided against it for time and polishing reasons:
  • Special epilogue scenes.
  • Additional small cut-ins on Akki’s and Mirari’s scenes.
  • Cut-ins of objects and food.
  • CG gallery
Things that will be done by the full version that haven’t been finished yet:
  • Orias and Kael’s intimate scenes.
  • Cut-ins, chibis and sprites galleries
  • Animated emotions (flowers, shock, etc).
  • Blinking sprites.
Things that we plan to add to the finished version thanks to your feedback:
  • Improved intimate scenes “gameplay”
  • A little “tutorial” with basic things, like pressing H to hide the dialogue window, Plus where exactly are the Dislexic Font toggle and 18+ filter toggle, and how the consent in intimate scenes work.
Things that we considered during development that we would like to add to the finished version, but it depends on the time and availability of our art team:
  • More chibis! (most of them already sketched!)
  • More food/items cut-ins!
  • Polished CGs and cut-ins, and with variations!
  • Extra arm positions for the character sprites! (sketched!)
SO! Thanks a lot to all the people that have played our initial release so far!

We’re EXTREMELY happy with the positive reactions we’ve got, we honestly didn’t expect it!
And please keep the comments and feedback coming! :D

And if there’s anything else you’d like to see in the finished version that we realistically can do within the month, let us know! (as long as it’s not writing new scenes, our writer is seriously drained after this and she has to resume work too xD )

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#89 Post by Arowana »

Congratulations on finishing NaNo!! :D You all did an amazing job, and it looks super cute (I'll probably wait for the full version though). I look forward to seeing the open source code too! :3
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Pudding Fluff
Regular

#90 Post by Pudding Fluff »

@Arowana: thank you very much! :D
--------------

We have been updating the build at itch.io fixing typos and bugs.
Our current version (1.0.6) should have no issues ^_^

Let us know if you catch anything we may have missed!