Getting rid of the pause in between sprite expressions

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ameliori
Veteran
Completed: Who is Mike?, Cupid
Projects: The Black Beast [Fairytale]
Organization: FERVENT
Tumblr: ameliori
itch: fervent

Getting rid of the pause in between sprite expressions

#1 Post by ameliori »

Hi! I just released a demo of my game, and somebody said that there is a tiny pause in between transitions of the sprites, where the textbox disappears. It disrupts them reading the story and they find it a bit annoying when the textbox pops in and out of the screen.

I understand that this is because of the "show" action and the "with dissolve" transition I use. Nevertheless, I have seen games show expressions without the pause and without the textbox disappearing. I don't want to get rid of the "with dissolve" because the transition between the expressions are too dry without it.

Is it because those devs are using live composite? Or is there another code that goes around this? I'm not an expert in Renpy so I just thought to ask people who are more knowledgeable. Thanks everyone!
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

Re: Getting rid of the pause in between sprite expressions

#2 Post by Zetsubou »

You could adapt something like this: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 42#p348242
That would save you using "with dissolve", and it would get rid of the delay.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

Yuuji
Regular

#3 Post by Yuuji »

Maybe there're some another ways to get rid of this delays? For example in ren'py engine files or something like that. I'm interested in this topic too, because I've got the same problem.
There's no point in standing around with your mouth open waiting for talent to fall from the sky. You make your own. No matter what you're doing, the most essential thing is not to give up.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#4 Post by nyaatrap »

Call ren'py.transition http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/other.htm ... transition by character callbacks http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/character ... -callbacks might be the easiest way.

Code: Select all

init python:
    def callback_transition(event, interact=True, **kwargs):
        if event == "begin":
            renpy.transition(dissolve, layer="master")

config.all_character_callbacks = [callback_transition] #This line is for testing. It's better to define each characters you want to apply transitions instead of using this line.

ameliori
Veteran
Completed: Who is Mike?, Cupid
Projects: The Black Beast [Fairytale]
Organization: FERVENT
Tumblr: ameliori
itch: fervent

#5 Post by ameliori »

@Zetsubuo: Thanks for your feedback. The system is a bit complicated for a newbie like me.. My eyes kinda glazed over while looking at it. Perhaps a demo game would benefit your code!

@nyaatrap: I tried it and so far it is working perfectly! Thank you so much!
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

Pinlin
Regular
Projects: Dark nights
Tumblr: darknightsblog
Deviantart: Pinlin

#6 Post by Pinlin »

Hello, I stumbled upon this post and it's exactly what I look for. Although, I still can't quite get the code right, or understand how to put it into script.

File "game/Images.rpy", line 6: expected statement.
    def callback_transition(event, interact=True, **kwargs):
I tried to use only put this code, but it gives errors too.

renpy.transition(dissolve, layer="master")
I want to remove delay between expressions, which also delays appearance of text. Since all expressions I use " with dissolve", I'd like to know how bulk definition code looks. I attempted this thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29409&p=348242#p348242, but without sample it still confuses me.
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project: