Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4696 Post by Rossfellow »

Zylinder wrote:For one of our digital illustration classes, we've basically been flogged mercilessly for the whole semester.

The lecturer showcases our work piece by piece, and quote - says it's ugly, or that he doesn't want to critique it because we painted it without using our brains. Now everyone in the class is demotivated, and some are completely giving up on their final project.

I don't even know how I feel about this. There's just this general cloud of swirling, directionless anger in me. I'm sad that it's come to this for everyone, I'm angry at the lecturer for being so harsh, but at the same time it IS true that our work is subpar, but we're only a product of a syllabus that has concentrated on tracing and copying for 2 years? Ugh, this is all daft.
Your story reminded me of this one manga. It's an autobiography of a manga author who won the Manga Taisho award, about her years before and during Art College. It might just lighten your day.

Link
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#4697 Post by Rinima »

The Blind Griffin: Emilo's bad ending...
Urg, where to begin...
My poor heart ;~;
#heartbroken
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

ZennyZenZen
Regular
Projects: Perfection Project
Deviantart: omgimawriter
Github: ZenNaari

#4698 Post by ZennyZenZen »

The Walking Dead gay kiss scene was one of the only romantic gay scenes i've ever watched.

Squid
Regular

#4699 Post by Squid »

Oh, no!

I plan on making a shitty game.
The worst there has ever been, perhaps!

I'm okay with all assets being horrid, I just hope the general concept is appealing.
A "this was interesting enough for somebody to play" thing, not "this is good, and I'll tell my friends"

I am setting the bar as low as I know how for my first VN, and might create all assets for myself.
[even though I have no skill in almost any artistic mediums, and doing so is VN suicide for me] :D

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4700 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Squid wrote:Oh, no!

I plan on making a shitty game.
The worst there has ever been, perhaps!

I'm okay with all assets being horrid, I just hope the general concept is appealing.
A "this was interesting enough for somebody to play" thing, not "this is good, and I'll tell my friends"

I am setting the bar as low as I know how for my first VN, and might create all assets for myself.
[even though I have no skill in almost any artistic mediums, and doing so is VN suicide for me] :D
I'm sure you'll be fine. There are horrible games out there that happen to have AAA+ quality assets, so that's really no guarantee of anything.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

#4701 Post by Rozume »

I'm just going to have to accept the fact that the reality will not match up with my expectations.

I want Solace to turn out well. Really well. With super quality, polished artwork and awesome writing. But the reality is that I don't have the skills I need to make it to the level I want it to be. My NaNo entry was my first attempt at writing something in a very long time, and my art, while decent, needs a lot of work. I do give myself time to develop my skills, particularly art skills, but a couple of months won't make me a master.

I guess throughout this whole 9-month development period, I'm going to focus on the "learning" aspects of things. That learning is more important then the end result. That as long as I'm learning and growing, that's all that matters.

It's still something that's hard to swallow, but I'm getting there.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4702 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Rozume wrote:I guess throughout this whole 9-month development period, I'm going to focus on the "learning" aspects of things. That learning is more important then the end result. That as long as I'm learning and growing, that's all that matters.

It's still something that's hard to swallow, but I'm getting there.
Every effort you make will bring you closer to what you hope to achieve overall. That's what you have to remember. I have to remind myself of this sometimes, too.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

MasterPuppeteer
Regular
Projects: WIP Fantasy/Adventure VN
Tumblr: wolfganghelps
Deviantart: muhshroom

#4703 Post by MasterPuppeteer »

I made a new account on this old forum I used to go on a lot a few years ago. Made a post trying to reconnect with old friends. Got permabanned for making an "alt account". What a great welcome back. :/

annpan
Regular
Projects: Death Pledge -Wish of Blood-
Organization: Broken Wisteria or Qian.
Tumblr: waterlilyvn

#4704 Post by annpan »

My internet broke down. Probably missed a lot. Oh well.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4705 Post by MaiMai »

**** sewing machines!!!
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#4706 Post by curry nochi rice »

I swear this would be my last post here.

Welp Summer's back and so is the yearly rotational brownout~ :v It's getting harder and harder to continue coding since the schedules are not being followed and technically you only have 12 hours of light a day...
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Squid
Regular

#4707 Post by Squid »

I haven't made notable progress in, like, a week.
And I'm the only one working on this VN so far.
So much disappointment in my own shortcomings

kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

#4708 Post by kisa »

Squid wrote:I haven't made notable progress in, like, a week.
And I'm the only one working on this VN so far.
So much disappointment in my own shortcomings
Squishy, I will assist you in any way I can!
I'm offering commissions!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41656

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#4709 Post by mugenjohncel »

It's a nice day, I'm feeling great, had great food, still cannot walk but overall a great day when I am suddenly informed by my Malaysian team that part of our Construction Project was built on someone else's property and they wanted to have that section torn down (since the court sided with them so suddenly... you know, disputes and stuff)... it's just about 15 meter extrude... a 5 STOREY NEARLY COMPLETED 15 METER EXTRUDE and thanks to the freaking agreement I signed, I will now have to bear the cost of tearing that section down... ;_;

Suddenly, I feel like vomiting and currently expecting a "FEW" angry calls any moment now... kill me...

Oh how I wish I could go back to a time where I have more simpler, less complex problems... :cry:

"POOF" (Drops Dead)

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#4710 Post by Rinima »

Welp, just had to take the morning off work due to digestive problems and a headache. So I've send the day self medicating and when they both seem to finally clear up: headache comes back full force, thus causing me to fall up the stairs from pain and sprain my wrist. Joy.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him