A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship, Tragedy] [1/26/16]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship, Tragedy] [1/26/16]

#1 Post by Hazel-Bun »

"It's just a game we play. Being kind is nothing more than a means to an end..."

Title: A Simple Act (ASA)
Format: VN [Friendship; Tragedy; Coming of Age]
Tagline: "A stone dropped in still water..."

Setting: A quiet mountainous town named Edgewater.
Plot: A young woman has given up, given in. She can't stand the helping hands that try to bind and the nagging words of her mother. She breaks away and tries to spread her wings, only to be grounded by heavy rains. Looking for shelter instead she finds a ghost from a hazy past. A woman dressed in all white holding a little blue, polka dotted umbrella. They stand around, they sit and chat and the rain keeps pouring... yet the young woman, for the life of her, can't seem to piece together the whys, whens, and wheres.

Who is this strange woman?

Why does she seem so very... familiar?

She must make a choice to open up her heart, open up her past, and accept a little polka dotted umbrella. Her life forever changed by a simple act of kindness. Only the truth shall set you free...

Brought to you by Hazel-Bun of Cherubim Scribes & co.!

Characters +More:

"Get out of my face, dammit."
Elli Ferguson*

"A troubled teen who runs away from home and is caught in the rain while doing so. She has a rather cynical view of the world, in the process of breaking a mean swearing habit, and isn't the best at connecting with others to boot. Meets Lily Moon at a run down rest stop while trying to sort things out."
*Name changeable

"Easy now! You’ll fall..."
Lily Moon

"A strange woman who Elli encounters while trying to find shelter from the rain. Kind and beautiful even if her fashion sense is questionable, she offers up her umbrella to Elli and something seems to be hidden behind that ever present smile of hers."

"Elli? I'm scared."
Elvis Ferguson

"Elli's little brother. He's a rather sickly little boy who rarely goes out much and is in a rebellious stage right now."

"You're nothing without me."
Armando Toldeo

"Elli's jealous, older, sort of ex-boyfriend."
Screenshots+ More:
(Coming Soon)
Resolution: 1280x720 (possibly two more resolutions)
Endings: 3 Main, A couple of Bad, 1 secret
Rating: Currently Pg-13 (Mentions of sensitive topics as well as frequent cursing)

Progress:
Story: Count (100%) (Done) (29,658 1st Draft)
Outline: 100% (Done)
Proofreading: 100% (The 1st draft)
Programming: 50% (Main menu, textbook, quick menus, and transitions functioning)
GUI: 100% (Done)
Demo: 0% (HA! It's like 3 years old so an updated one is in the works!)(Current one covers the first 5-10k)

Sprites:
Concepts: 100% (Done)
Completed: 5/5 (In-Progress) (Lines done w/o variations)

SFXs: DONE (There's a lot!)
Music: 5/5 (Done)
Logo: 1/1 (Done)
Icon: 1/1 (Done)
Backgrounds: 5/5 (Done & Animated)
CGs: 0/7 (w/o Variations)

Credits:
Writing: Hazel-Bun
GUI: Hijiri
Sprite Artists: truefaiterman & Hazel-Bun
Background Artist: Badriel
Music/SFX: Mike
Editing: Arachni42
Promo Art: sasquatchii
Video Editor: Tcodina
Programming: Alex from CScribes, death__storm & Hazel-Bun
Idea Bouncer: NeoSota9
(WIP)
<><><>
12/15/13

Will tidy up once it's not twelve in the morning. Wanted to have a new thread for an old WIP. Story is complete but in need of major revisions and art, etc. will be revamped once my current WIP is done (AtPF).
Old thread: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... t=19607url

2/2/15

Revamped the thread! A lot of stuff is in the air as the old demo is not a good judgement of progress anymore haha two more artist and musician joined though so, expect more stuff soon!

2/5/15

Elli's sprites nearing completion. Anatomy/shading/expressions next. Music under production soon.

2/12/15

- Added a shadowed version of Elli!
- Added lineart of Elvis and Lily, along with their quotes.

2/15/15

Uploaded a gif. of the sprite making process, along with two colored versions of Elvis!

2/22/15

GUI shot!

2/24/15

- New programmer is coming on board!
- Elli's first name can now be changed.

2/27/15

Added a shot of Elli's boyfriend, Armando Ricardo Toledo aka Dante aka Trouble with a capital T.

3/2/15

- Added two CG sketches & a pencil sketch of the last sprites

3/12/15

- Armando's lines are complete
- GUI 100% (may change if more features are added)
- death_storm is polishing up the demo and coding in the existing GUI

4/9/15

- Writing snippet added
- All base line art finished for the sprites

4/17/15

- Art snaps and now officially a WIP thread
- BGs being commissioned
- Working towards a summer demo release (may or may not be private than public)

9/30/15

- Demo BGs done and animated (thanks Brad <3)!
- Sprite art to follow
- Editing on the existing demo script underway
- Some images of the in-game old and new demo art
- Mike is almost finished with the OST/original sfx's
- I've added in the new intro for CScribes w/ the voice over

12/10/15

- Mike has finished all the audio for the demo (potentially the entire game)

1/26/16

- Happy New Year! New screenshot on Pg. 2
- Also, I'll be revising/mapping the script shortly
- No firm public demo date but closed beta testing soon
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 31 times in total.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship; Tragedy] [2/2/15]

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Some sketches of the other two characters! I'm slowly chipping away at the re-write or edits if you will to the script.
Attachments
Elvis_sketch.png
Lilymoon_sketch.png
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship; Tragedy] [2/2/15]

#3 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Elli's base colors are done :) Work on the music should start soon. Other artist is lining the next two sprites.
Attachments
B9DldkLIcAA033S.png
B9Dld1qIQAAtRWA.png
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship; Tragedy] [2/5/15]

#4 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Could this be moved to W.I.P admins? Also, a little banner as always! A video editor/designer has joined the team :) A CG artist (might) also be joining soon. Elvis' an Lily Moon's cleaned sprites coming soon.
Attachments
banners_ASA.png
banners_ASA.png (20.1 KiB) Viewed 14904 times

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#5 Post by potouto »

The game looks kinda sad ;_; you know how much do I love sad games, they are just the food for my soul. In my opinion, Elli looks like the troubled child going through the phase, very suited for her description!! Hope you will finish this soon :>

yeah well | commission | website

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Hazel-Bun »

@Josie Thanks man <3 It is suppose to be sad... even a little creepy at times. I'm glad Elli looks the part and, we're trying ^^

Here's a shadowed version for darker scenes. I'm still grappling with her colors but, will start on her second pose/expressions soon. Re-write/editing is going steady, and I should have a functioning build near April to show off to the public, without all the old assets!
Attachments
Elli-Shadow.png
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

Re: A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship; Tragedy] [2/12/15]

#7 Post by Haze »

Elli's sprite looks amazing; it has a very professional look. Did you do the lineart, and truefaiterman did the colors or something like that?
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship; Tragedy] [2/12/15]

#8 Post by Hazel-Bun »

@Haze Thanks! Basically the process is I ink the traditional sketches and upload them, truefaiterman inks them digitally (with a technique I'm trying to learn), and I do the coloring :D I hope you like the rest once they're done, including Elli!

Uploaded a little gif. of the process, as well as a flat colored Elvis aside from his hair/eyes.
Attachments
Elvis Flat Color Hat.png
Elvis Flat Color.png
Elvisframes.gif

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship; Tragedy] [2/15/15]

#9 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Worked on some GUI today!
Attachments
yesno_ground.png

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship; Tragedy] [2/27/15]

#10 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Elli's boyfriend, Armando Ricardo Toledo aka Dante aka Trouble with a capital T. Last sprite aside from the one I can't show quite yet. True got Elli's bag along with Lily Moon's second pose done. I'll show that later!
Attachments
Armando_Messy.png

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship; Tragedy] [2/27/15]

#11 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Here are two variations of the first CG sketch! I also added the pencil sketches of the last sprites. Flower boy and daredevil yeah~

NaNoRenO has started so updates will be slower.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship; Tragedy] [3/2/15]

#12 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Armando is done! One more sprite to go and all the character all will be complete :D I'll move onto CGs next, the first three for the demo at least.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship; Tragedy] [3/12/15]

#13 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Hey all! Now that's NaNo's over, A Simple Act is back in action with updates :) I've learned a lot from "Sunrise" and will do my best to reflect that in ASA.

Here is a writing snippet from the beginning of the game featuring Elli, as I can only show a portion of the new sprite. Over two years old so will be going through extensive revisions haha
I had run as far as my legs could take me and as fast as my body was able to handle before stopping near a tree to catch my breath. For a moment, I wasn’t very sure where I’d ended up at but gathered that I was somewhere in the forest near town, secluded and getting darker by the second.

I couldn't grasp how far I was from home, or where exactly in the forest I’d ended up. All I knew for certain was that I was out in the boonies somewhere in Rolling Oak. No one would find me, I thought with a sad little smile, and no one would come looking either.

It was an unusually warm spring day for this mountainous region, tucked in the heartlands and isolated from the outside world. The type of place you drove through when trying to get to better places, ohhhed and then hightailed it back to civilization.

The air was thick and just the slightest bit musky and my skin was already soaked from the short run. Morning dew still hung on the leaves even this far into the afternoon. It was quiet, peaceful, isolated. A perfect place to end up a missing person case.

Every now and then I had to swat at what I prayed to God was just a mosquito and not some ancient super tick. Another tan and batch of freckles was surely coming my way but, at least, in the forest, the trees offered some protection.

Sucking in short, stunted breaths, I spat silent curses as a pounding headache started to rap my temples like a pinball bouncing back and forth. Lights were flashing behind my eyes like I'd hit the jackpot. The shattered sanity jackpot, that is.

Lucky me!

Wonderful!

"Crap... Why oh, why didn't I plan ahead? How in the hell am I supposed to get out of here?!"

The forest was a beast in of itself. Long, winding paths in a maze of confusion leading to nowhere, rarely kept up for a population of barely three thousand…

Up here, "Knocking on the Pearly Gates" as the locals like to put it, it was rare to even see a familiar face for a couple miles or so. Lots of open fields in the dips of large hills and small villages dotted the "picturesque" countryside I'd been whisked away to a few months pass.

It was like the town’s builders knew how dull and lifeless the place was going to be and wanted there to be no escape whatsoever. For shits and giggles I bet.

I could walk the roads, but they were so pit-filled and isolated that I’d probably end up on the front page as a hit n’ run before I got to the next town over, for sure. You'd think they'd at least make it easy to get from one place to the next without ending up smack dab in the middle of nowhere, right?
Attachments
AAE.png

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship; Tragedy] [4/9/15]

#14 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Now officially a WIP thread. The BGs are now being commissioned, and will contain some light animation work as well. Still working it all out though, but I've received logos before and they were amazing.

I'll be working towards a functioning demo in the summer. It may or may not be a closed one before a public release. Here are two art shots as I start adding variations to be lined. Elli is in love with the gothic clown subculture, while Elvis is getting a logo on his shirt.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

DangKem

Re: A Simple Act [VN] [Friendship; Tragedy] [4/17/15]

#15 Post by DangKem »

Awesome work you have here :)