[Complete]No One But You[Romance | Slice of Life]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
KairuKyun
Veteran
Completed: No One But You, Catch Canvas, Sickness, Written in the Sky, Wander no more, Warped Reality
Projects: Warped Reality
Organization: Unwonted Studios
IRC Nick: Kairu_kyun
Tumblr: karamuchan

[Complete]No One But You[Romance | Slice of Life]

#1 Post by KairuKyun »

Hey guys~ Been a while since I updated this post last.

No One But You is a Visual Novel/Dating Sim about Hideaki, a high school student who has just returned to his hometown, Okutama.

Upon returning, Hideaki re-discovers a town he knew from childhood, meeting new friends and reuniting with those he had long forgotten. He resumes his high school life in the big city, quickly adapting to the change in pace, and before he knows it, Hideaki begins to think of this city as his home once more.

Hideaki's life in Okutama is upbeat and fun, thanks to the many friends he makes, including Megumi, an energetic student council member; Chinatsu, a reserved senior in the literature club; Shiro, an unsociable music-lover; and Yui, an obstinate girl who rarely expresses herself honestly.

Surrounded by an interesting group of friends, Hideaki lives out his days without a care in the world, content to enjoy a normal high school life. Whether he's going out with friends or studying for exams, his new life is truly peaceful.

But not for long.

As Hideaki's stay in Okutama continues, ghosts from his past begin to come back, increasingly intruding on the new life he's trying to build. As if that wasn't bad enough, his new friends all have secrets of their own, and the more Hideaki involves himself with their daily lives, the deeper into mutual despair he sinks.

Will you be able to put to rest the evils of the past and finally live out the normal high school life you crave? Will you be able to put your friends' minds at ease, erasing the trauma and misery ruining their otherwise peaceful lives?

Because whether you like it or not, for this very task it can be no one but you.

A little info:
At the moment we are partnered with both Sekai Project and MangaGamer

Characters:

Screenshots:
I would love to hear some of your thoughts on the demo.
Demo Out!! Download Here!
Last edited by KairuKyun on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:54 am, edited 29 times in total.

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

Re: No One But You[Romance | Slice of Life | Mystery]

#2 Post by infel »

Oh the GUI for this game is really cute XD. Anyway, I'm not usually into BxG, but I did want to say that for some reason this game seems kind of calm to me. Of course I know it's a mystery, but the idea just got to me in a peaceful way. Anyway, the plot seems pretty good. As for the characters I can't say much because there's not much detail on them, so I'll have to wait for when the demo comes out. The art however is really well done. Chinastu looks very beautiful as well and I love her dress =). The backgrounds are amazing by the way 0_0. When I saw them I literally said wow. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with this and Kickstarter =).
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

KairuKyun
Veteran
Completed: No One But You, Catch Canvas, Sickness, Written in the Sky, Wander no more, Warped Reality

Re: No One But You[Romance | Slice of Life | Mystery]

#3 Post by KairuKyun »

Thank you. I am adding alot to their descriptions. Plus i thought the mystery of not know everything about the characters would add to the game. And I forgot to mention but this isn't all around mystery it just has some instances of it.
Kyle Tyner
Creator of Unwonted Studios
ktyner@unwontedstudios.co
Visit Our Website
Projects: No One But You, Sickness, Written in the Sky, Wander no more, Catch Canvas, Warped Reality

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: No One But You[Romance | Slice of Life]

#4 Post by Googaboga »

Hey KairuKyun C:. The premise of this game seems neat and the art is nice. However, your current Kickstarter page has a lot of issues ^^;. So as a backer VNs on Kickstarter, here are my thoughts.
[And, just to be clear, none of this is meant to be a knock on the game itself, just how it's being advertised]

Video:
I don't think it's very fitting for a Kickstarter video. It shows a few backgrounds with a couple sentences that could mean so many things that they ultimately don't mean anything without context. These types of videos work in other situations, like as teaser trailers before more substantial ones are released, but when it comes to Kickstarter videos I feel they should have a lot more in the way of details/content. Showing clips of conversations, character intros, a finished or even in-progress CG for some examples. Just things like that so people can see what the game intends to offer.

Kickstarter Page:
-I noticed some spelling problems and such, so I'd definitely suggest having the editor/proofreader go over it more. For example, under demo there's a sentence with 'dor' instead of 'for'.

-All the title graphics have the same design and are the same size, the only difference are the actual words. It looks pretty underwhelming and kind of bothersome when there are many titles without much between them. I'd say at least make the images for the character names smaller than the image that says 'Characters'.

-I'd suggest putting the credits near the bottom of the page rather than the top. It's nice that you want to give credit right away, but I don't think most people want to see who is making the content before they actually see most of the content.

-There isn't a break down of what the money will be used for (how much is going to art, fees, rewards, etc). That's one thing all Kickstarters should really have.

-There's no mention of how long the overall game will be, how many paths it will have, how many endings, how many CGs there will be, anything of that nature. Those really ought to be included.

-Only having one character to show is gonna be a rough sell. It'd be better to wait until you at least had rough sketches of a few more characters.

-Since you're not including a demo you really ought include access to a few script sections. The writing is hugely important in a VN and the only view people have into that right now are the few sentences scene in the screenshots. I imagine people will be awfully wary to back a VN when they can't read any of it.
[Though I'd definitely say it'd be better to make a demo available while the funding is going on. If you put a disclaimer saying that isn't the final quality level people will understand, it happens all the time with Kickstarters.]

-The character descriptions don't cut it. They are so short it's hardly possible to make the the characters sound interesting no matter what is said. The promise of intriguing stuff can only go so far, there needs to be something interesting already there to read for people to care enough to pay to read more. Since the plot is being left a mystery and there isn't a demo, the character bios are the only thing that can be used to draw people into the story and the current bios don't do that at all.

-The 'risk and challenges' section should have info on risk and challenges. With what's there now it's basically the same as leaving it entirely blank since either way there are no details on risks and challenges.

Also, do keep in mind that when the Kickstarter actually goes live you won't be able to link it here on this site, since there is a rule saying you need to have a demo or a previously completed game.

Rewards:
-Giving away the game in the lowest tier doesn't seem like the best way to go. Maybe add in a 1$ 'Thank you' tier?

-I don't believe many people would double their pledge (going from 5$ to 10$) for their name in the credits. I think it might be better to piggyback 'name in the credits' as an add-on to some other reward rather than have that be the only reward to encourage people to get that next tier. Or make that tier less expense, like 7$.

-The 15$ pledge, I don't think works at all. If the wording is just bad and you really will include their character ideas than that should be made more clear. But if the reward really is just a maybe, it's not worth offering.

-With the 20$ pledge I'd suggest saying exactly how early the backers will get the game.

Overall:
I personally would not back this Kickstarter as is. It gives very little info overall and the impression that it isn't far in development at all. Now the game might be more developed than I'm giving it credit for, but I would never know that from the Kickstarter page.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

KairuKyun
Veteran

#5 Post by KairuKyun »

Thank you for your feedback. To kind of give you some info of whats happening behind the scenes. The Sprite artist is working on 5 different sprites and CG artist is working on CGs for the PV for the actual game release.
The person Proofreading is taking there time and getting at it, making sure its perfect.
That video is a teaser video uploaded to YouTube as of today. It is for getting people curious the PV is coming when the rest of the sprites are done.
The Demo may release half way through the kickstarter. Depends how my team works. And if it will release half way through ill just put off the kickstarter for a bit.
The character descriptions are coming. But I am having a hard time putting all their traits into a couple of sentences. So I just put that there for now.
I will be putting a break down of funds in there.
The rewards were the things i really wanted opinions on. I will work hard to make better rewards suited for a customer like you.
And all the Characters will be complete by Kickstarter and Greenlight.
I hope your looking forward to it. Thank you for your time.
Kyle Tyner
Visit Our Website
Projects: No One But You, Sickness, Written in the Sky, Wander no more, Catch Canvas, Warped Reality

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#6 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Googabooga's made some great points. I can't think of anything to add at the moment (though if that changes, I will certainly post).

One minor note: You may want to consider changing the name of the school, as it looks very similar to the term "wank."
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

KairuKyun
Veteran

#7 Post by KairuKyun »

Hmmmmm, I didn't think of that. I will look into it.
Kyle Tyner
Visit Our Website

KairuKyun
Veteran

#8 Post by KairuKyun »

New Teaser!!
Last edited by KairuKyun on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Tyner
Visit Our Website

KairuKyun
Veteran

#9 Post by KairuKyun »

Updated with some of the script.
Kyle Tyner
Visit Our Website

KairuKyun
Veteran

#10 Post by KairuKyun »

New game play video!
Last edited by KairuKyun on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Tyner
Visit Our Website

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#11 Post by Rinima »

I hate to be the stick in the mud, but you need a demo to link the KS page here, and I'm not sure I see one (unless I overlooked it?)
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

KairuKyun
Veteran

#12 Post by KairuKyun »

Oh sorry about that. Ill take them down.
Kyle Tyner
Visit Our Website

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Rinima »

Sorry >.< I do wish you luck though! You seem to already have a pretty big chunk of it.

KairuKyun
Veteran

#14 Post by KairuKyun »

Yeah somehow. i am working my hardest. I would do a demo but i ran out of funds and don't want to give out a unpolished product. Do you think its okay to keep my greenlight link?
Kyle Tyner
Visit Our Website

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Rinima »

Yea, I don't think there are any rules on greenlight links, so that should be okay? Unless one of the admins comes along and says otherwise XD