Those Without Names [Slice of Life,Siblings][NaNo2015]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

Re: Those Without Names [Slice of Life,Siblings][NaNo2015]

#31 Post by Haze »

I was going to respond after getting the attachment ending, but I'm still having trouble getting it! XD

While I was writing this, you posted some more hints for the ending; I'll try to get it again. If I do, I'll let you know and give my thoughts.
yuucie wrote:@Haze: Thanks so much for all your input! Reading people's reactions and opinions really highlights my day, and I enjoyed reading yours! I'm always amazed and filled with gratitude when people tell me how touched they were by the writing. I was worried I wasn't skilled enough to convey feeling in my story.
Hahaha, when I sent my friends the first ver to betatest, the threshold for error was higher, and they all kept getting defaults and wailing. Much thanks to them for lowering the difficulty to a more reasonable level.
The car crash was alluded to quite early; I had meant for people to pick it up, so I'm glad you did. And your analysis of the Denial End is really amazing; it was definitely something I wanted to portray, an uneasy feeling where you're not quite sure if she really dreamt that all up or she's still locked in memory.
The attachment end is attained when you rely heavily on Zero during your playthrough. Most of it would be caring where Zero is, wondering when the last time you were together, needing him to comfort you or rejecting both the truth and the denial answers. Hopefully you'll get it this time!
Thanks so much for playing my game, it really means a lot to hear what people think.
Aw, thanks. I'm glad you liked my comments! You really did do a good job making the Denial End have an uneasy feeling, though.

Personally, I think the game is still a bit too difficult. If you're using variables to determine the endings, perhaps you should consider making the variables lower, thus making the game a bit easier?
yuucie wrote:Ah yes, I forgot to mention, but all the music production information is courtesy of Haze from this forums! I couldn't have written that part without Haze's help.
You're too kind. I'm glad I was able to help you. :D
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

#32 Post by yuucie »

Haze wrote:
Personally, I think the game is still a bit too difficult. If you're using variables to determine the endings, perhaps you should consider making the variables lower, thus making the game a bit easier?
Unfortunately, the game is already set to the easiest version possible. Any easier would increase the chances of getting default exponentially, ahaha. I'm sorry you're struggling so much with getting it; in fact, most people don't really know about the third end.
Really, I think it's about determining what would lead to the acceptance end (All the answers implying it's not a dream) and the denial end (all the answers implying it is a dream) and cancelling those out. Whatever's leftover would be the attachment end.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#33 Post by Rinima »

yuucie wrote:
Rinima wrote:*bangs head against wall*
I can't seem to get any ending apart from the loneliest number ending ;~;
Whoops. Understandable, as the goal of the game seems unclear.

Hints at endings:
De End: Insist constantly it's a dream.
At End: Rely on Zero a lot during the game; fixate on where he is and how long you've been apart, need him to comfort you, avoid the topic of what the world is in favour of him humouring you.
Ac End: Listen to Zero's theories, accept the nightmare for what it is, believe Zero.
Hopefully that helped!
Thanks for the tips!
Right, now I've played the full thing, I'm going to gush over this game
Gaaah, how did you make this perfect thing in a month?!?!?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

yuucie
Regular

#34 Post by yuucie »

Rinima wrote: Thanks for the tips!
I'm glad you were able to get all the ends! Thank you for playing them all. And I'm so glad you liked it! :oops: It means so much to see people enjoying the game.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#35 Post by Rinima »

yuucie wrote:
Rinima wrote: Thanks for the tips!
I'm glad you were able to get all the ends! Thank you for playing them all. And I'm so glad you liked it! :oops: It means so much to see people enjoying the game.
Hehe welcome~
To be honest, this game probably stuck a code with me due to my own relationship with my brother.
It's odd to estranged from each other, even though we live in the same house.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#36 Post by Alera »

Just played the whole game and got all the endings in one sitting, it was just...amazing! ;v; Such a ...n-nice,s-sad story *crais* But it really filled me with warm feelings. The relationship between Eight and Zero was so nice! And so were the other characters. I really didn't mind that they didn't have sprites, I thought it's actually quite a nice touch, making you focus more on Eight and Zero. The writing was beautiful and engaging, I just didn't want to stop playing! But I was also eager to know the truth.
I thought they were dead, but I didn't want to believe it ;v;

The Acceptance Ending was the one I liked the most, it offered closure to the story in a really nice way~

And the art was sooo beautiful too! <3 Those backgrounds were really nice *Q* And that GUI~ And adorable siblings >v<

I loved the game and can't wait for more games by @yuucie! <333
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#37 Post by Camille »

I played through this last night and really enjoyed it! The art was gorgeous and the UI was reminiscent of JVNs, haha. Very pretty. My jaw dropped right at the beginning with that BG with the earth.

I feel like media often is too black and white with its portrayals of family. You see a lot of anime/manga about siblings who HATE EACH OTHER'S GUTS or they've got some twisted romantic relationship instead. However this VN did a really great job balancing out the good and bad things about a sibling relationship.
The scene where Zero composes his first song was really good. Eight was proud of him and wanted to support him, but part of her was also jealous/sad that she wasn't as accomplished herself... That was really heartwrenching, though I think only relatable if you have siblings or some other unconditional relationship.
With a sibling, it's impossible in real life to say whether you 100% love or 100% hate them and so I think Eight and Zero's relationship was portrayed very well. As someone with a close (and also complex) relationship with my own brother, I could really relate and the story was very moving. I got the acceptance ending on my first try and felt really fulfilled. The story was paced well and offered good closure. Your writing was also very descriptive.

I think my only complaint is probably that the way Eight narrated felt a little too High Literature at times, not really fitting someone of her age and education level. But that was my only, teeniest complaint about a wonderful game.

I always have the highest respect for people who do both art and writing on their own and I think it's really amazing and praise-worthy that you did that AND the programming, as well. This game was great, you did a wonderful job, and I hope you're basking in your success now that NaNoRenO is over! <3 Thank you for making an awesome game!

yuucie
Regular

#38 Post by yuucie »

@Rinima I'm so glad this game reminds people of their siblings. It's a subject I don't see written about in extent so I'm relieved my story had the intended effect. Thank you so much for spending the time to play, I honestly appreciate it!

@Alera Oh gosh, thank you for taking the time to get all the ends! I'm glad it made you feel warm; I wasn't intending it to be sad (I meant touching, really, since most of my focus is on their support of each other). It means a lot to hear you liked the writing so much. Somehow showing writing feels scary. (Maybe it's just me.)
Eight didn't either...it's hard to accept. Thank goodness she had her brother to help each other through it.
Thank you for all your kind feedback; it made all the work worth it.

@Camille Thanks! I agree about the portrayal; I always see siblings represented as tearing each other apart. While this is true (Most of my friends aren't close to their sibs), I also wanted to show the other kind of platonic relationship that existed too. It was the whole reason I decided to write a story about close siblings. It means so much that you were able to relate.
I'm really glad you picked that up in the first memory. It seemed so subtle that people didn't pick up on it, but the theme of that memory was that conflicting mix of pride/envy in your sibling's successes, especially if you're close to them.
Thank you for the honest critique! The style of narration was definitely something I was worried about. While I think college students (and some high school) are capable of writing like that, the problem lies in her specialty (or education background, as you said). My strongest subject is English, which can't be said about Eight, especially since it was never alluded or mentioned to. I had tried to hold back on philosophical spills, but some of my own thoughts must have slipped in through the cracks. I'll definitely watch myself (and the narrator's background) more closely the next time I write anything like this. Thank you for letting me know; it'll help me improve my writing.

Thank you for taking the time to play something I made! I honestly am so grateful that people played it. Even better when they leave feedback and critique!

Darklime

#39 Post by Darklime »

Just wanna thank you for making this game. you made my day :D
The Feels !!!
It's really beautiful and touching. The music who follows the plot is really great.
The art is wonderful too.

(i am not fluent in english, sorry for my bad writing)

also when the close panel of the game ask "Are you sure you want to wake up ?", i want to say "no never" (total denial mode irl^^)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#40 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I'm still in the middle of playing this, but I wanted to mention that you got featured over at Jay Is Games. Congrats!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#41 Post by Akitsuki »

Whoa this is so cool! I like the premise and not to mention the art!! I haven't seen many VNs talking about close relationship between siblings (though I myself am not that close to my siblings orz), so this is definitely worth the play! I'll tell you later when I'm finished, but great job on your Nanoreno!

Demetrius
Projects: Work in progress
Organization: RainYelon
Github: DemetriussXVII

#42 Post by Demetrius »

Seems like a good novel. Can't wait to try it soon.

yuucie
Regular

#43 Post by yuucie »

@Darklime Thank you so much for playing! I'm happy you were able to enjoy it, even if english isn't your first language. ;_; I can barely handle playing japanese games (I'm not fluent in it so it's hard), so I'm really touched you played mine. And thank you for noticing the quit menu, haha!

@Mad Harlequin Oh gosh @///@ What a good review. Thanks for the link! I especially will take all her constructive critique into mind. I am reminded of how much growing I need to do as a writer. I'm so honoured to be reviewed too!

@Akitsuki Thanks for taking the time to play the game! ;u; I rarely see sibling relationships portrayed as close in media, so that was the heart of the project. I hope you were still able to relate, even if you didn't grow up close (I know a lot of my friends didn't either). I will look forward to your conclusive thoughts!

@Demetrius Thank you! I hope you enjoy it. :D

>>>Added an answer key to the first post (Bottom of the post) since someone on tumblr asked for it. Hopefully it'll help people out!

valerasoy

#44 Post by valerasoy »

Good Evening!

Wonderful story writing, and characters; It was very touching and moving. In fact, playing your VN motivated me to join this site, ha ha.

I really enjoyed the concept of the story, but more your take on it. It's a premise that has been done many times before, but your perspective on it is so unique, heartfelt and moving. I sometimes wonder if such a thing exist, if it would be similar to how you portrayed it in the game. The other thematic elements hit home for me too, especially the relationship between the siblings and their fathers. For one of the endings (i'm new here so I don't know how to block out spoilers) I was at the brink of tears. Perhaps because I can relate; I have siblings and know how its like to sacrifice for younger sibling. I agree, there's not enough light shed on sibling platonic relationships in the media, and actually surprised by that.

Although you are right, I have encounter many people who do not get along with their siblings. I never understood the mean older sibling trope. Granted there were days I was a cranky sister, but I always try to treat my younger sibling with respect.

Anyway, I had to join to this website to tell you how much I enjoyed your game. It was a lovely experience, and has motivated me to write a similar piece myself. Perhaps we can talk sometime, and help each other out with ideas. Writer to writer.

I look forward to your future projects! keep up the good work!

P.s my first ending was the acceptance ending. I felt was more suited to my play-through of the story. I was bent on receiving all the endings including denial, but after reading a couple of post I didn't want to spoil my image of my original ending. Also, I don't like downer endings too much :P

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#45 Post by Akitsuki »

I LITERALLY CRIED ;___; I was prepared for the puzzled facts, but definitely not for feelings skflqpeirjsalejqlsk
I really want to have a big brother like Zero now. He's so kind and caring (my younger brother is not even close orz)
I cried in the first ending I got, the default one. With Zero leaving Eight alone, I can imagine if someone close to you left you like that, in a place you're unfamiliar with. I already stated that I'm not that close to my siblings, but I'm still sad if they left me behind. And also when I found out the fact about the accident. It was really touching that Zero would sacrifice himself to save Eight. I wasn't guessing anything about the World, so I can't say if I'm surprised or not.
Anyway, you really did a great job! The art, the background, the narration is so perfect! Can't wait for your next project (if you're making any)! 8D