Skyfish [BxB] [Friendship] [Fantasy, LGBT+ friendly]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

Re: Skyfish [Fantasy, Steampunk, LGBT+ friendly] [DEMO]

#46 Post by Aviala »

I cleaned up the first post and added a list of features and and some new questions. Also changed the title a bit to generate some new interest and because I felt it didn't describe the game well.

New questions:

1. If you played the demo, any comments on it? Did you like the writing? What about the characters?
2. Do you like the art so far? Most of the BG's will be replaced; are you excited or scared or indifferent?
3. Is the inclusion of gameplay a plus or a minus to you? Would you be angry if skipping gameplay sections would mean that you might miss some short story sections?
4. Do permanent wounds sound exciting or horrible? What do you think about a chance to lose a crew member in battle? Would you instantly load a previous save if somebody died, or accept it as a part of the story and find out how it affects the other crew members and the plot?
5. Would you be interested in reading more about the world from in-game books you can collect?
6. We're thinking of making a PDF book with lots of previously unseen concept art and information about the world and the characters. It would be included as a reward for paying a few dollars extra when downloading the game. Yay or nay?

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

#47 Post by Dylan_Bain »

I am most looking forward to going to 'hell'. It sounds fun.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#48 Post by Aviala »

Ahh, you noticed my creative naming :'') You might be disappointed to hear that we weren't planning to leave the name as it is; most of the names are just placeholders... But because I care about people who care about my game enough to notice it and comment, we might just leave it in! Or change it into our custom language but keep the meaning! ;)

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

#49 Post by Dylan_Bain »

Oh, you are not? Thats ashame. Being serious, a lot of these names are really awesome, and fit the fantasy-steampunk setting!
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#50 Post by Aviala »

Thanks! Some of them will stay as they are, but some will be changed because they don't fit our recent world design ideas. I might also have to redo the map because Tasmir wanted some minor changes to the shorelines etc... I guess it was inevitable since I made the map too small in the first place if I remember right. If you like the current map, don't worry. The new one will be very similar.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#51 Post by Aviala »

WIP Nuipun character sprite. Nuipun is part of the Vesa race, and a fabulous one at that!
They're the navigator of the ship, but also a fierce warrior with the spear and a medic.

AdamsAccount
Regular
Projects: ORISHA, Mermaids vs zombies, Lesbian pirate dating sim

#52 Post by AdamsAccount »

Would you mind if I did a lets play of this for my youtube channel?

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#53 Post by Aviala »

I wouldn't mind at all - actually, I'd be glad! : ) Let's plays are a really good way to share the word about indie games so that'd be awesome.

The demo is pretty rough and doesn't have the gameplay features I'm planning to include but if you'd like to do a let's play of it, go ahead. You can also wait for the full game of course, though it will be a while before it's finished. Or, if you'd like, you can play both the demo and the full game (when it comes out). :D

Edit: If it's not too much trouble, please send me a link when you're done.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#54 Post by Aviala »

Skyfish has a brand new facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/skyfishgame

If you'd like to read more Skyfish updates or if you want to support the game, please like the page and share the link with friends.

Skyfish also has a twitter and tumblr.
http://skyfishgame.tumblr.com/
https://twitter.com/Lizard_Hazard

Also, check out this new WIP character sprite: Nuipun's armor!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#55 Post by Aviala »

Nuipun armor WIP

I took a look at the armor with my partner and we decided it wasn't practical enough, so we made some changes.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#56 Post by Aviala »

I have some pretty big news regarding to Skyfish.

Lately I've been thinking about how much work I'm doing for Skyfish, and also how much work people are doing to help me, for free. That's why I'm thinking of doing a kickstarter campaign later this summer. With the money from kickstarter I could hire a musician to compose an original soundtrack for the game and hire a second BG artist to help with the workload. And if I got more money than my intitial goal (probably somewhere around 1000$), I could potentially get partial voice acting, more CG art and animated bits. I'm thinking of asking one of my artist friends to help out with the CG's or hiring someone from these forums, but I can't do so without money.

I'm also thinking of submitting the game to steam greenlight. There will be a free/pay what you want version of it in itch.io as well, but I think I'll have to make a "premium" version for steam (probably around 5-10$) because I really need to pay my rent and fund the next part of Skyfish. I really want to release it all for free but I don't think I can afford it.

Also, as a side note, I've been getting back into writing the actual script instead of the character backstories, so the game is coming along nicely.

Merii-san

#57 Post by Merii-san »

If this game will be on Steam, I will buy it. That's for sure.

But because of some problems with my region I couldn't buy it anywhere else (I can't use paypal and a lot of other payment systems). And I can't support you on kickstarter with money. Sorry. But I think this game will be something really awesome. So I am waiting for it. Morally I'm with you!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#58 Post by Aviala »

Thanks, it means a lot to me that people are looking forward to the game! I'll definitely do my best to get it greenlighted, but I'll need help for that. So when the game hits greenlight, be sure to go give it a thumbs up and ask your friends to do the same. I'd appreciate it a lot. :)

I'm working towards making a second, more polished demo that has some gamplay features and more polished look.
I also asked one of my friends to help with sketching the CG's, which will help me out a lot - they have a great grasp of anatomy, the way clothing and wrinkles work, as well as colour so the CG's will hopefully look better than before. We're splitting the work so that she does the sketch and base colours and I'll do the rest.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#59 Post by Aviala »

I updated the character list in the first post with new names for the characters. Most of the old ones didin't fit the languages Tasmir has designed for the countries the characters were born in.

The new names are:
Elea
Nuipun
Aifao - Unchanged
Peqo
Kaimak
Kozru
Captain (Audraina)
Charon - Unchanged

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#60 Post by Aviala »

Here are the theme song lyrics in our custom language, Kadatian:

Tšassai Faru

Saje teper šoika nae xakiš,
Mamra siieši šio
Sodasoda kaina šabaier mornadoš
Syrha naden izai

Hoo šova heksamkiš bienooke
Biemaqa ohne tšaiki
Säyke šinet vehipo
Asva imensiie žao

Saje ŋyŋe käyhä nepieko
Tamape sooheoi
Kerod oška nažoigii fojeidi dako
Ädže xase syrha

Näigaa faru tiba qoi
Baie paiha hööki
Oina ake bano anšanaa
Pöhki nae kaggai

Hoo šova heksamkiš bienooke
Biemaqa ohne tšaiki
Säyke šinet vehipo
Asva imensiie žao

I'm really happy about the way this turned out, and I hope that at least someone out there is as excited about the game having it's own custom language as I am. I know you can't understand the lyrics or pronounce the words, but I wanted to show a section of the language to you guys. It's not just random letters smashed together, either - the language has a grammar (though still a WIP) and a structure. I'll post a guide to pronouncing the language soon.