Divide [Otome][Fantasy][Action][DEMO UP!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
yoshibb
Veteran

Divide [Otome][Fantasy][Action][DEMO UP!]

#1 Post by yoshibb »

The story takes place in a fictional world of Demons and Angels. The two sides have been warring off and on for centuries. 50 years of uneasy peace has come to an abrupt halt after diplomatic talks end with an Act of War committed by the Angels.

You'll play as Alexandria, the daughter of the Demons' Head Elder. While she is struggling to find her path in life and fighting with her father seemingly every step of the way, she runs into Aiden on the battlefield, the son of the Duke of the Angels' most populous city. Remembering him from a brief meeting as a child, Alex feels a connection to him that she can't really explain. After Aiden is taken prisoner by the Demons, Alex makes a drastic decision to save Aiden from her father's torture. She strikes a deal that would make him her personal servant. Unsurprisingly, he does not take this well. As time passes, she'll encounter problems that will change her worldview and shape her destiny, all while growing closer to an enemy that she's supposed to despise.

Alexandria

Alex is immature and headstrong often diving headfirst into things based on emotions. She is compassionate at heart but that is undermined by her hatred for her enemies. She sees Angels as a source of Demons' suffering and up until she gets to know Aiden, she has no interest in peace. However, this does not stop Alex from taking an interest in Angel culture and in particular, their architecture. It's always been one of her dreams to visit an Angel city in person one day, and she aims to achieve that goal even if she has to help take that city by force.

Aiden

While he is equally as stubborn as Alexandria, he also has the intelligence Angels are well known for. He will follow his code of honor and his morals sometimes to his own detriment. Originally a bit more open minded, his experience in war has jaded him against Demons. He is the son of a Duke but refuses to divulge any information on his family life or his home, meaning his past is shrouded in mystery.

Focar

Alexandria's father and Head Elder of the Demon council. Circumstances in the past have led him to be overprotective of his two daughters. He does everything he can to keep Alex off the battlefield without much success. His ultimate goal is to force the Angels into submission and acquire the resources that the Angels have been hoarding in order to take care of the Demon Population.

Dion

Alex's best friend since childhood and one of the few people to support her decision to become a soldier. His parents were one of the first casualties of the war, but Alex was quick to give him an invitation into her family. He's loyal to Alex to no end but can also be overprotective at times. Despite his past, he does not hate Angels as much as most of his fellow Demons, but he does not trust Aiden and makes no secret of it.

Helen

Alexandria's sister and friend. She is diplomatic, kind, and wise beyond her years. Demons have described her as the second coming of her mother. She has taken the role of diplomat once held by her mother and spends the majority of her time aiding the other Demon cities and gathering support for the war effort. She loves her sister, but deeply desires to have the warm, loving family she remembers from childhood. She sees her sister and father constantly at each other's throats, and it breaks her heart.

Title Screen

Backgrounds

Image Image

Writing/Coding: 60,000/~100,000 words
CGs: 7/20
Sprites: 10/13
Backgrounds: Around 15 to 20 planned depending on funding

Divide is a commercial project I've been working on for the past six months. Creating a visual novel was something I've been interested in for a long time and the project has grown to something much larger than I expected. It is a GxB otome game with one romance option. That does not mean you won't develop friendships with many of the characters and your decisions can deeply effect not only your own path but the paths of others.

Demo:

Windows
Mac
Linux

A few general feedback questions:
-What do you think of the game having only one romance option? Is it a sticking point that a game have multiple romance options?
-What do you think of the concept? I know it's not the normal type of otome game.
-Do you think the characters are interesting? Do you want to learn more about them?
-Any other feedback is appreciated. At this point in the game, I don't plan on changing too much, but I will definitely take everyone's thoughts into consideration :)

Credits:
Sprite Art, CGs, Writing, and Programming: Yoshibb
Backgrounds: Mandy Jacek (Portfolio)
GUI and Logo: KingV (Deviantart)
Last edited by yoshibb on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.

aimanin

Re: Divide [Otome][Fantasy][Action]

#2 Post by aimanin »

I was thrilled to see your new project announced so quickly!

1. What do you think of the game having only one romance option? Is it a sticking point that a game have multiple romance options?
This was what was running through my mind when I was reading the background post! I think that limiting the romance options definitely gives you more flexibility in the way you develop your story, and allows you to concentrate more on the writing (less time to spend writing "routes", I suppose)- so I'm all for it. However, a corollary to that is heightened expectations in terms of how the romance is going to progress.

2. What do you think of the concept? I know it's not the normal type of otome game.
Isn't it? It struck me with a sort of doomed Romeo x Juliet vibe, which is plenty otome to me...also, I think there's a Japanese otome game called the Second Reproduction which has similar background elements (though I think the roles are reversed there). So (personally) its not the most unique of concepts, but for me its always been more about how people can build on said concepts (with good writing, which you have proven you possess in abundance!)

3. Do you think the characters are interesting? Do you want to learn more about them?
I loved how you wrote the characters in Lost Heroes, so yeah, I'm really looking forward to see how you further conceptualise the characters here!

The backgrounds look amazing, as do your sprites (though Aiden looks a little chubbs- possibly the angle...or all that good food in the Angel Cities!)
Good luck, and I look forward to stalking your dev blog when its up.

Ryuushiro
Regular
Completed: Artist for "Maid With Perfection", Artist for "Love and Romance: a study of intimacy", art for "Sleepier & Sleepier", Backgrounds for "Panzer Hearts", Sketch backgrounds for "Caramel Mokaccino DEMO
Projects: "Hunting Fable"
Tumblr: wafflemeido
Deviantart: WaffleMeido

#3 Post by Ryuushiro »

Waaah, I've been waiting for this!!! *o*

-What do you think of the game having only one romance option? Is it a sticking point that a game have multiple romance options?
I have no problem with games that only have once romance option! I know a few games that did that very sucessfully and I very much loved it!

-What do you think of the concept? I know it's not the normal type of otome game.
I am very happy to see an otome game that breaks the mold. Even if the game is not filled with the clichés we usually see in otome, it still seems to give off an 'otome vibe' that I'm really sure I'll enjoy! It seems to be the perfect balance.

-Do you think the characters are interesting? Do you want to learn more about them?
While I do think they are interesting, I'm very much more interested in seeing them interact with one another. I like knowing what a character thinks and their background, sure. But seeing them interact is amazing. I not only want to see the main couple interact, but I was very curious to see how Focar will interact with his daughters. I adore seeing family bonds being shown in games.

-Any other feedback is appreciated. At this point in the game, I don't plan on changing too much, but I will definitely take everyone's thoughts into consideration
I am LOVING the way you draw those pointy ears. And your backgrounds are incredible! They leave me breathless! ;0;
I also really liked the Title screen, I found the contrast between the panels very well done. It fits together and doesn't look 'weird' to the eye, but I can still see the difference.
And I also saw some of your progress on this on twitter and while I was just stalking silently I was very very very excited for it! I've been seeing all the progress you have done and I'm really looking forward to playing the whole thing!

(...Seriously, those backgrounds omg ;0; <3 )

VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR COMMISSIONS: { HERE }
DeviantartPatreon

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#4 Post by Harliqueen »

- What do you think of the game having only one romance option? Is it a sticking point that a game have multiple romance options?
For me it's fine, as long as there's romance, then I'm sold on a game :D Plus, Aiden sounds pretty awesome!

I think the fact that it's not a normal type of otome game works in your favour! It's always good to have something fresh and new. Plus angels and demons are something that I haven't seen done much, so I'm really excited about it :)

The characters do sound interesting, Alexandria especially sounds like a really different type of MC.

Overall, this is definitely a game I will be looking out for when released! :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#5 Post by Anna »

Some stories require romance-squads, and some don't! Seeing as you're also going for a fantasy+action story (omg omg omg *high five*) I don't think romance is your top priority here. Do what fits the story best.

omg omg omg fantasy action <3
I'm biased and can't answer this question with anything useful lol.

Yes! Especially Aiden sounds intriguing.

-Any other feedback is appreciated. At this point in the game, I don't plan on changing too much, but I will definitely take everyone's thoughts into consideration :)

Focar's body seems off; his right arm (his pov) seems too far to the centre of his body compares to his other arm.

yoshibb
Veteran

#6 Post by yoshibb »

Thanks for the responses, guys! I appreciate all the detailed feedback.

@aimanin - Doing Lost Heroes really helped me out to know what goes into completing a VN, so I'm really glad I did it. Thank you for the complements on my writing and characters, I'm still so happy to hear that people enjoyed it.

And I definitely got some inspiration from Romeo and Juliet and The Second Reproduction among other works. I think it's just cause it is more action oriented than otome games I usually play, but I agree that we've been getting a more wide variety in the otome genre, which is really exciting.

And ugh, yes, it's something about Aiden's chin that is bugging me. It's annoying cause I do like the rest of the sprite, so I'm trying to find a way to work on it without redoing everything. I might still work on it just a little.

@Ryuushiro Yeah, it's a lot more fun watching them interact with each other. No worries, you'll get a chance to do that in the demo soon! The relationship between Alex and her dad is a big part of the story especially in the first half, so it's good to see that you're interested in it.

And I know, Mandy did such an awesome job on the backgrounds, I'm not worthy >.< I'd love for her to be able to do all of them and that's a big reason why I've decided to do a kickstarter.

@Harliqueen The one romance option was something I've wanted from the beginning. I'm glad that people have been ok with it. I'm trying to spend the extra time really developing the relationship between Alex and Aiden, as well as family and friend relations, so knowing that you are already intrigued by the two of them is awesome.

@Anna Yes, I'm still trying to nail down the fight scenes cause there are a lot of them and I don't want them to seem static. And I swear there are not enough sound effects out there for fights. I need more! But yeah, there's a lot of romance but there's also plenty of action, too.

Yeah, I haven't gotten to correct Focar's sprite yet since his didn't need as much work as the others. It's funny, I only did these sprites a few months ago, but now I've had to rework a bunch of them because my art is so different now.

Atavia

#7 Post by Atavia »

Wow, I'm surprised you have another project up so soon. Good for you!

As long as it's believable it's fine with me. I think that will allow you to develop their relationship more. It worked in Lost Heroes for me too.

I like it. I'd love to see more fighting, strong protagonists and I like fantasy games too :)

Aiden sounds cool. That mystery makes me want to learn more about him. But the other characters look interesting too.

Good luck! I can't wait for the demo :)

yoshibb
Veteran

#8 Post by yoshibb »

@Atavia Thank you! It helps that I've been working on it for awhile. And yeah, part of the reason why I wanted to do this is to hopefully create a female protagonist that is proactive and doesn't mind going to battle.

Ok, the development blog is up and it has some additional characters as well as more in depth information on each one.

One thing I'm struggling with right now is that there are other Angel characters but I think that giving information on them would be spoiling the story. Do you think it's alright to keep them hidden or do you think I should find a way to add them onto the character list?

Oh, and fingers crossed, I think I should be able to get the demo and kickstarter up this weekend. I just finished an extra CG last night and there's only one more sprite I would like to add. Thanks all!

doodle

#9 Post by doodle »

The only two other games I've played with this concept are your other game, "Lost Heroes" and "Aloners" by Sonnet009. I absolutely adore both of these games, and I do think that having just one option is in fact a better idea sometimes - it gives the relationship time to develop and lets you get to know one person thoroughly rather than being all over the place. As long as the option isn't an complete douchebag/obnoxious flirt, I'm all for it XD

Well, I haven't played all that many otome-games, so I'm not sure what you're referring to when saying "normal type of otome game", but
the story sounds interesting, and seems like it opens up for a lot of possibilities to what could happen depending on what route you choose to take. It's always more fun both for the creator and player to try new things instead of doing it the traditional way, I think.

I actually haven't read about the characters - I never do before playing the game, since I like being surprised. xD

So as for the new Angel - characters, if it risks spoiling the story then I think it's a better idea not to reveal them. It's exciting to come across new things in a game and be thrown aback, whether it be events or characters.

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

#10 Post by Heiden »

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

This looks right up my alley.

As for your questions:

It can work! Since you don't have multiple romanceable characters, would you still have multiple endings? (Like you did in your VN Lost Heroes?)

I'm that person who is in denial that 'normal type' otome games are thought to be fluffy and cute and not filled with blood, guts, and wars. :'D
So yes, I am very very very very very very interested. I LOOOVVEEEE darker themed/more politically themed otome games. I can NEVER have enough.

Of course! I like how you have 2 sides of a war with different characters representing each part.
I ALSO THINK DION IS RLY CUTE. (I was kind of hoping for a romance ending with him but I think it's more important to tell the story you wanna tell, haha :'D)
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

yoshibb
Veteran

#11 Post by yoshibb »

@doodle lol, I think Aiden is pretty nice once you get to know him so I don't think you'll have to worry about the obnoxious flirt/douchebag thing. Yeah, my hope is to really flesh out the romance but also be able to have friendships and learn more about the other characters, too.

@Heiden Haha, yes, there's a reason why I'm making this game, I love all that stuff too. And it's definitely more heavy/darker. I was comparing it to Lost Heroes and I was surprised how much darker it was. But I'm still trying to throw a little bit of fluffiness and humor into it, too. It's hard though considering the subject material.

Oh and I did decide to add a stretch goal on the kickstarter for a Dion romance DLC. It's a lot since I'd basically have to rewrite the whole game with a lot of new assets, but it's still a possibility.

Kickstarter and Demo are now live! If you can support it I'd really appreciate it, but just sharing it would also be a big help. I really want to make the best game possible for you all.

Kickstarter

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Divide [Otome][Fantasy][Action][DEMO UP!]

#12 Post by philip »

@yoshibb-

Just tried to download this for my mac, but when I did so, I got a windows download. Tried a couple of times, just to make sure, with the same result.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

yoshibb
Veteran

#13 Post by yoshibb »

philip wrote:@yoshibb-

Just tried to download this for my mac, but when I did so, I got a windows download. Tried a couple of times, just to make sure, with the same result.

philip
Oh, geez, thanks for telling me. I'm gonna look into it right now.

Edit: Ok it should work now, but let me know. Sorry about that.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by philip »

@yoshibb-

Yep, works just fine now. Thanks! Have downloaded and played through once; will be going back to try other choices. Really enjoyed the story, although I admit to being a bit uncomfortable that there was so much hate and distrust between the two sides.

The artwork is very nice; as far as any typos, it appears that you have forgotten that old refrain of English teachers, "i" before "e" except after "c". (Saw at least four places where that error occurred.) Overall, this demo is very well done, and I will be looking forward to the release of the complete game.

And I'll be returning to make a contribution to your Kickstarter.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

yoshibb
Veteran

#15 Post by yoshibb »

philip wrote:@yoshibb-

Yep, works just fine now. Thanks! Have downloaded and played through once; will be going back to try other choices. Really enjoyed the story, although I admit to being a bit uncomfortable that there was so much hate and distrust between the two sides.

The artwork is very nice; as far as any typos, it appears that you have forgotten that old refrain of English teachers, "i" before "e" except after "c". (Saw at least four places where that error occurred.) Overall, this demo is very well done, and I will be looking forward to the release of the complete game.

And I'll be returning to make a contribution to your Kickstarter.

philip
Yeah, the there is a lot of bad blood between the Demons and Angels. I'm hoping to describe more of the history between them as the story goes on, but I also want to give players the choice to start mending the relationship between the two sides.

Darn typos, I will attempt to go back and try to go back over the demo soon to see if I can get fix the typos. I always manage to miss some stuff no matter how many times I go over it.

Thank you for any contribution you can give :)